Spawn Collision Protection

Frederf

Currently when a player selects a role and presses the "fly" button the airplane is spawned at the directed parking spot with no consideration that doing so will cause an immediate collision with another aircraft, vehicle, or wreckage. This is undesirable both personally and has no basis in reasonable simulation.

This issue is most prevalent in multiplayer where it is common for human-controlled aircraft to park in the same locations as other aircraft will immediately come into existence. The issue is further compounded that once a collision takes place there exists wreckage which is a collision hazard in future and almost never can the spawning user visually check the location before spawning. Collisions have a negative performance impact, disrupt the activities of both users, and have a generally negative impact on the discipline and conduct of users necessary for respectful multiplayer play.

Thankfully this issue has a wide selection of programming solutions. One or more of the following ideas may address the issue effectively:

• Warning dialog (abort as option) if object is close to spawn area
  • Camera orbit of selected spawn location prior to spawn commit
  • Messages to human units within spawn area
  • Disabling of collisions between units until separation if one spawned within another
  • Automatic change of spawn point location to next available if obstructed

Another solution would be to have all available aircraft already on the ramp as cold objects, so that other players wouldn't taxi there in the first place. This would also partly solve the issue of empty airfields.

The only major consideration in this is of course what happens after a player parks their aircraft and leaves the slot (or despawns in midair or is destroyed): is the aircraft playable from the location it was parked in (or in case it is destroyed, would it be unplayable, or spawn back into the ramp?). I guess this could be solved with an AI tow vehicle that would either move the existing aircraft back to an uninhabited parking spot, or bring a new aircraft out from a hangar...

All this for immersion of course. Might not be completely practical... I just don't like spawning/despawning vehicles.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I have never encountered this, but definitely see the potential, especially on carriers.

I would prefer the vehicles were already present instead of spawning in, but anything would work. A warning, auto spawn at next available slot, anything.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I have never encountered this, but definitely see the potential, especially on carriers.

I would prefer the vehicles were already present instead of spawning in, but anything would work. A warning, auto spawn at next available slot, anything.

haven't you? you are very lucky

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5