How realistic is the AI in a fight?

Just had a typical AI dogfight that has been this way forever. Say I have a P-51 light on fuel vs any of the German fighters say a 109 loaded with fuel on easy. I will skip the enemy's UFO flight model and ability to zoom climb and turn with no energy bleed for another time. So I get on his six and open up. Bits and pieces smoke and debri but he keeps going. Repeat this until my wrist is tired. On the other hand, he does a head on pass and with a quick blip, every bullet is that golden BB that hits every critical system I have. Wing rips off, pilot is dead, plane looks like swiss cheese.

I just flew with 3 aces against ONE "easy" 190 and he shot us all down. Pleeeeeze fix this.

Hi Jimjam,

I fly a lot of self-made SP missions, and I have the same frustrations which you describe. DCS Air-to air combat, which is currently unrealistic and unsatisfying, would be transformed if only these three elements were addressed and corrected:

1. At least 3 grades of enemy skill levels (with clearly noticeable differences in marksmanship and airmanship) and a 4th skill level of "Random" .

2. A.I. aircraft airspeed, climb, acceleration and turn rates reduced to realistic levels for the particular plane.

3. AI aircraft damage corrected to a percentage governed by number of hits received, together with indications of grades of damage (e.g. 10% - light smoke, 20% - heavier smoke, 50% - smoke and flames , 60% - small explosion with debris with pilot ejection, 70% or above - large catastrophic explosion.)

I am not a programmer, but believe that implementing the above (at least as an interim measure) would be an inexpensive way of improving a really serious fault in an otherwise excellent sim.

If programming the above is impossible or too difficult for E.D. then let them inform us. We have all been waiting a very long time for this AI model to be fixed and it is only fair that they give some clear and reliable indication of their intentions.

Regards,

Mich.

• 3 weeks later...

Well last night I had a AI pilot who alone could have ended WW2 early.

He was easy/full fuel in a Spit. Then there was me and 3 highest level pilots in 109s. I also added a 4 ship of 190s 1/2 fuel. Out of 4 engagements, he won 3 outta 4.

So I added another TWO 4 ship 190s and also littered the interception area with 12 various AAA pieces.

This leveled it out to a 50/50 win loss but eventually I figured out that the enemy AI WANTS YOU way more than anyone closer or on his 6.

I then would mege full speed and as he chased the TWELVE!! Wolves picked away at him. Once smoking I would re enter the fight. 12 VS ONE!!!! Sign him up!!!!!

Edited by JIMJAM