3 month Early Access progress report...

Donut

3 months into Early Access...what is the current state of the F-16? What is good/bad, what works, what doesn't?

Personally, I am finding that it's still at a point where it isn't worth flying due to all the bugs and negative learning that comes from it. Yes, I know...Early Access. There comes a point though where we should start to see significant progress being made in fixing what is wrong and getting the F-16 up to speed in regards to a basic level of reliable functionality and quality...not even considering advanced weapons and systems yet.

Just from reading the forum bug reports, it still seems that very little if anything is working right...

Even the FM, aircraft handling, and control inputs seem to be incorrect/WIP, making just simply flying the F-16 very frustrating.

This may be a question that only ED can answer, but at what point will the F-16 be in a state that is useable for correct operation and proper learning...just at the most basic level? The latest newsletter states a goal of completing the F-16 in the next 12 months...currently, I am finding that the F-16 isn't even at the level of quality that the Hornet was 18 months ago.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Hmm.. Things have improved since the initial release... Yes there are bugs to fix but its also been the holiday period where there hasn't been any new updates for quite a while. Who knows what the next update may bring! I'm personally enjoying flying the F-16 I don't see a whole lot of negative learning points. The parts of the aircraft systems that do work, work as they should for the most part.

Maybe the best bet for you is to come back to it later once its more complete.. Personally I like it and I'm looking forward to seeing it improve.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This may be a question that only ED can answer, but at what point will the F-16 be in a state that is useable for correct operation and proper learning...just at the most basic level? The latest newsletter states a goal of completing the F-16 in the next 12 months...

Pretty sure this is a question that only the individual can answer.. I am sure the FM will not change "too" much... Could be wrong though... That said it still offers plenty to do and the learning will continue, or at least should long after its considered full release..

I would much rather learn along the way instead of playing a large amount of catch up at then end.... YMMV..

Might as well call it a 1-2 month progress report. ED has been holiday MIA for a a few weeks now. The .02c version is AA kinda sorta works. Most standoff AG weapons dont (cbus sorta, lgbs, dumb weps mostly). Nav mostly doesnt online but ok offline.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Why we love to exaggerate things ? Lol

Its far from unflayable at all. jeez....

You can do cold start, taxi, take off, shoot some bad guys in MP, LGB some tanks and rtb with nice landing. How can it unflayable ?

I have great time in Viper. Its one of my fav modules despite still lack many function.

Even the FM, aircraft handling, and control inputs seem to be incorrect/WIP, making just simply flying the F-16 very frustrating.

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Nav mostly doesnt online but ok offline.

Generally interested what doesn't work online with navigation? I haven't had any issues?:huh:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Generally interested what doesn't work online with navigation? I haven't had any issues?:huh:

Try to set your own waypoints then you'll see ;)

I'm really looking forward to see it finished. Amazing airframe :)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Try to set your own waypoints then you'll see ;)

I'm really looking forward to see it finished. Amazing airframe :)

Waypoints work exactly as they do in single player, you can only edit existing waypoints. If the mission designer is nice enough then they give you a few preset waypoints that you can edit as you wish. I do this and it works just fine for me thanks :). Of course I’d like to be able to set fresh ones but most missions I fly online you have 4-5 preset to begin with to edit.

Proud owner of:

Waypoints work exactly as they do in single player, you can only edit existing waypoints. If the mission designer is nice enough then they give you a few preset waypoints that you can edit as you wish. I do this and it works just fine for me thanks :). Of course I’d like to be able to set fresh ones but most missions I fly online you have 4-5 preset to begin with to edit.

I'll give it a try then.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

F-16 is nearly feature-complite for AA stuff. Only things that are missing are:

- ECM pod

- TGP A-A mode (not a big problem)

- Polish of FM (still little bit too draggy at high mach number)

- Creating new waypoints (only can modify existing ones, so make shure you ahev at least 1 placed in editor)

As for AG, it's much worse.

We only have functioning dumb bombs, dumb rockets, dumb clusters and SFW and laserguided GBUs. Also, TGP moves your selected waypoint (correct as IRL), but you can't return it back because we are missing CZ option, so you can ruing your flightpath. No autolasing before impact for TGP, no TTI cue.

Also we don't have any maverics, any JADAMs/JSOWs, HARMs, HTSs and so on so on. Well, the only guided AG munitions are 3 types of GBUs.

It's a fun plane to fly and i really enjoy it for AA. You have datalink, TWS, SAM and raw power. But for AG it's barebones right now.

Im affraid SLAM and SLAMER is also not a case in Block 50 :cry:

Do any F-16 use the SLAM or SLAM-ER? I didn't think they did. I know some carry the Harpoon?

Proud owner of:

• ED Team

Planned systems can be seen here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I haven't been flying it since the controls for my HOTAS (x-56) do not work with that T-pod on, Every other plane I have is set up the same or similar -EXCEPT the F-16. sometimes they work sometimes they don't work, sometimes they work and then quit. Very frustrating. Luckily I have other planes to fly.

I haven't been flying it since the controls for my HOTAS (x-56) do not work with that T-pod on, Every other plane I have is set up the same or similar -EXCEPT the F-16. sometimes they work sometimes they don't work, sometimes they work and then quit. Very frustrating. Luckily I have other planes to fly.

Have you made sure that your bombs are set to AUTO? In CCIP the tpod only looks at the CCIP impact point and isnt slewable.

Yep bomb needs to be in CCRP mode for the Tpod to be slewable, and of course the Tpod screen needs to be SOI (denoted by the white line around the edge of the screen).

Proud owner of:

3 months into Early Access...what is the current state of the F-16? What is good/bad, what works, what doesn't?

Personally, I am finding that it's still at a point where it isn't worth flying due to all the bugs and negative learning that comes from it. Yes, I know...Early Access. There comes a point though where we should start to see significant progress being made in fixing what is wrong and getting the F-16 up to speed in regards to a basic level of reliable functionality and quality...not even considering advanced weapons and systems yet.

Just from reading the forum bug reports, it still seems that very little if anything is working right...

This may be a question that only ED can answer, but at what point will the F-16 be in a state that is useable for correct operation and proper learning...just at the most basic level? The latest newsletter states a goal of completing the F-16 in the next 12 months...currently, I am finding that the F-16 isn't even at the level of quality that the Hornet was 18 months ago.

Nav/General:

- Waypoint system (You cannot add new waypoints and the existing ones are prone to "corruption" by the TPOD)

- Persistent Countermeasurement / MFD config (minor)

- Datalink sometimes cuts out and won't reestablish until you have restarted DCS / Reconnected to server

-

AA:

- Radar is problematic, if the target is not coming straight at you, you will end up losing him even inside 20 nm consistently. With the current threat picture of JF-17 and other lethal planes it basically means you have to turn tail and run to reengage later.

- Sometimes when trying to go SST from RWS upon pressing TMS UP the TDC will just recenter itself and you won't get a lock, not even go into SAM or anything. This constant shifting of the TDC back to the center is a pain if you want to pick a specific target and ultimately leads you to be way more involved heads down in a tense situation than you want.

- Radar EXP mode in RWS/TWS feels still off, but need to confirm that.

- Trying to reaquire targets around 10nm with ACM modes is tricky as well, I have videos where I am flying behind an enemy bird for a minute with boresight mode on and it really takes ~55 seconds for it to aquire the target, even though he fills my HUD from time to time.

- Gun employment is more difficult due to lack of "higher" EEGS levels and default ammunition not using tracers (despite having tracer effects for everyone else)

- Sidewinders won't slew with your helmet unless you fiddle around with the MFD (should at the very least be HOTAS controllable)

AG:

- TPOD is very much made up just to have something, it slews steerpoints and behaves very different from how it's supposed to be (differential slews individually on each steerpoint).

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Last I checked you can't add WP's online, only edit pre-loaded ones. They don't work if added. So basically you are stuck with 1 WP on many MP servers since they give you 1, which also happens to be your CCRP weapons delivery WP for use with the TGP. So no real "nav".

Edit, LOL, I see this has been beaten to death already. At any rate if you are on MP servers with many WP's its probably a not a major issue.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What? c'mon it doesn't even have the radar gunsight, they need to work a lot with the radar in AA.

Agreed...air to air is borderline useable right now with all the bugs.

Remember everyone, implemented does not equal working.

The reason I created this thread is to determine what is working and bug free out of what is implemented. This isn't about missing features, systems, or weapons that are to be implemented later in Early Access.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

i'd say for bvr air to air, it's somewhat combat ready, somewhat combat proven, but still has lot of room to improve.

as for close air cimbat, ACM stuff, it has a long way to go.

for air to ground, it has year to go

Edited by Contact409

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I9-9900K-Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC, 32G DDR4000 RAM,

Track IR5, HOTAS Cougar + über Nxt Hall Sensor Mod, Slaw Device RX Viper

And it looks like nothing of the heavy stuff was addressed in the long awaited update aside of the sidewinder uncage thing :-(

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

And it looks like nothing of the heavy stuff was addressed in the long awaited update aside of the sidewinder uncage thing :-(

They were on holidays, what did you expect? :huh:

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The "long waited update" has been talk by Wags on the last mini update....

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4143427&postcount=180

In January, after the team is back from holiday, much of the focus will be on the Hornet targeting pod, AACQ and SPOT radar modes, JDAM/JSOW improvements, Viper radar-directed gunsight and general gunsight accuracy (EEGS Level 5), and improvements to the AIM-120 AMRAAM. Once we have specific Open Beta release dates for these items, we’ll be sure to let you know.

The improvements to the Hornet targeting pod have taken longer than expected due to needed fixes to some of the air-to-air missile avionics systems. We apologize for the delay; we know how much you are looking forward to them.

In February, much of our air-to-air radar development will shift to air-to-ground radar development. This will use the air-to-ground radar API that is already being used by 3rd party developers.

Thank you for all your support and once again Merry Christmas,