[REPORTED]AI getting stuck in buildings again.

So for a short while this seemed to be fixed about 3 Open Beta's ago with the pathing updates, but with the latest Open beta it's happening again and more often, because what happens is that an AI unit can ENTER into a building as if it doesn't exist but then suddenly collision seems to kick in and it gets stuck within the building itself.

Most noticeable over multiplayer but believe it shows even on normal

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set up a mission with ground units.

2. route them across distance not using Roads (though even roads at times)

3. Watch as they cut into a building and then get stuck and can't exit the building.

Also the Desync with large units are still happening.

Edit: just a little more info

I should add too that it's very much like when the server (and it's dedicated server mode btw) is running the units that the buildings boundings are being inverted as if the normals were flipped on the collision mesh. While if you go in and take control of the unit in CA from a client and hit autopilot it instantly bounces you onto the top. but otherwise if you leave it and tell it to route etc instantly ignores that and tries to go into the building etc again.

Edited by robgraham

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

I can also confirm issues that have been happening in MP the last few months with buildings and AI spawning, you used to be able to spawn AI infantry on roofs of buildings in MP .... now they spawn inside the building itself at ground level

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

some examples of how things are getting stuck.

Again from a server running in -server -norender

Shilka should be moving but clipped into the building and got stuck on the edge. Only way to force it to move is to CA it either put it into drive and hope it moves forwards or hope putting it in auto forces a 'bounce' that moves it out.

BMP3 doing the same

Tunguska drove into the building then pop'd to the top.. now won't move with out CA intervention, can cause the entire group to bug out.

Thing is you can typically manually fix it by going in and hitting C if caught in a building it puts it on the roof at which point you can manually then drive off it.. or if you were stuck like the Shilka was you typically suddenly get 'bounced' away from the building.

Again it's like the Bounding boxes aren't being correctly accounted for during pathing.

Screen_190913_171901.thumb.png.6c0edb6a2978b1f0f9eda8d18226fa89.png

Screen_190913_172046.thumb.png.4daffb7af6afbbe9cfd5574ebe94dd4d.png

Screen_190913_172105.thumb.png.7dbbc97661c4569142e3dd117c61295b.png

Screen_190913_172144.thumb.png.d5b44155c215a93560c3124969bfd15a.png

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

• ED Team

Hi all

has anyone got any short track replays of this happening?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Newy problem i have is most of my flying is on Multiplayer server.. and those aren't short tracks.. I'll see if i can't get you one but can't promise it's not that hard to see and i'm not the only server it's happening on either, the pathing was better for a time after the 'pathing' update but it seems to have both stayed some what improved and also regressed a little last few open beta's.

I'm not certian if it's just something being caused by running a server with -server -norender or what because as I said if you take control of unit with CA and become the unit (which I believe shifts collision etc to your machine) you can correct it simply by turning AP on which immediately jumps the unit to the roof

this is a track file from just now on the server i quickly joined and there was stuck units

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1l5d5atm10kpgf/Red%20Iberia%202-1-5-20190915-022242.trk?dl=0

I also Screen Shot them and dropped a marker in.

The images show the Ural.. it's stuck Inside the building driving around in a square trying to get out but can't.. when i go in and hit autopilot jumps it to the roof, where i can then drive it off to fall down.

best i can do right atm newy i can't say if that specific set spawned like that (htough tbh it doens't look like it) but even if they were it shouldn't be happening there should be a check to throw it out etc and it can as i said happen during just normal movement and grind an entire mission to a halt.

Screen_190915_022346.thumb.png.febf12c609ab4db96fec7b7fff859d14.png

Screen_190915_022436.thumb.png.8bb3eac7994cb846901a81dae36b8c07.png

Screen_190915_022332.thumb.png.57595d3b230ce6928e8b378ef70247ab.png

Same thing happens on TTI servers: often dynamic spawn zones are placed near buildings, which potentially make some of the ground units unable to be destroyed since they are inside buildings.

Silly thing is, those same ground units can still see player aircraft/helicopters and even engage them...

Therefore I place those spawn zones just outside of villages/towns/cities, in my missions.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Elysian it can happen even with out dynamic spawn zones thouhg I've watched vehicles do it during driving and routing. The original images were all from a set that had been driving fine only to get stuck etc.

It's not just a 'spawn' bug you can watch them on the map drive into a building rather then 'around it' or go around it and clip the edge and get stuck etc.

No matter which of the many ways it's happening it shouldn't full stop which makes it a bug.

1. During routing units Shouldn't be driving into the edges of the buildings enough to clip and then get stuck inside but they are, again it seems the 'bounding' box for the collision detection isn't large enough.

2. when caused by spawning again something should be catching it and moving the unit outside of the building as it does if you take control of the unit with CA. It bounces you either to the roof or will try and push you outside of the buildings bounds.

Failing that the buildings should be being destroyed, though that causes it's own set of issues again as units can get stuck on half destroyed walls etc.

Newy, having done some watching on the server and the like I think I can point out the main 'culprate' building for these too. It's that big square building with the porch like area (third photo on the original pictures) at least just for 'stuck' units during pathing.

What appears to happen is that the Porch covered area isn't collision detected so they drive up onto that and then get stuck.

On the others it seems to be something to do with how the AI does it's 'catch up' when units get spread out, they can still 'drive through' buildings at times and out the other side but what ever is allowing that seems to bug out (or maybe that is a bug who knows) and the units then get stuck.

And again this can happen with MOVING units, not units just suddenly spawned in s city etc.. Actually I've noticed units spawned in a city of late don't seem to spawn inside buildings, it's when they start moving all the issues happen.. and very rarely if one of the desync rubber bands happens.

Reproduced in a few tracks and I reported it. At least some of the getting stuck issue looks to be from colliding with a building and then possibly using that building as a reference for "ground" instead of the terrain. So it climbs up onto the mesh and it possibly doesn't know how to get back down.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 3 months later...

Here is a short video of how it looks like on the map and in 3D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69TanYv50B8

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

there any news on this one.. it's... frustrating as heck and really breaks missions when units get stuck and the group stops moving etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Near all ground units now pass through buildings, but some don't : here a M1A2 and a T72B stuck.

M1A2-stuck.thumb.jpg.4c7fd4966f33d5f340bcb6705ee45f7a.jpg T72B-stuck.thumb.jpg.6143668a64f2a567f50a802a206d37a4.jpg

EDIT : no it doesn't seem to be related to unitType but building type. Here an APC stuck in the same building type than the tanks :

APC-stuck.thumb.jpg.0c3b47ee3754f1a0535f80d458adf7fd.jpg

Edited by toutenglisse
in post