small things that make a BIG DIFFERENCE (List Yours!)

flameoutme

Proper minimization to taskbar and that it would stop rendering when minimized instead of burning 100% GPU and heating my room :)

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Not much of a small feature, but:

The fact you can fly! A fighter jet! In VR! I mean, come on! How awesome is that? :pilotfly:

Yep, this.

Dream come true for me. I always wanted to build my own cockpit but neither have the skill, room, funds and most importantly backing from my good wife and kids. But now I get to do it in any module I want and it is fantastic.

The attention to detail on the bomb racks. With MK-82's on the F18, F16 you look out over your wing and you can see the arming wire to the fuze. Holy-wow!

I did a double take in VR the first time I saw that. Forgot where I was going and just stared at it for awhile.

As far as I know this is a first for the desktop consumer industry, and it is an absolute godsend.

controller inputs/axis saved and customized on an individual (and even specific seat) basis for every individual detected game controller (with modifiers!)

This is a groundbreaking feature for flight simulators.. and while it can be a little extra work to set up.. the benefits are enormous. The work you have put into controller assignments is noticed and appreciated.

As far as I know this is a first for the desktop consumer industry, and it is an absolute godsend.

controller inputs/axis saved and customized on an individual (and even specific seat) basis for every individual detected game controller (with modifiers!)

This is a groundbreaking feature for flight simulators.. and while it can be a little extra work to set up.. the benefits are enormous. The work you have put into controller assignments is noticed and appreciated.

1+ I have to say, I'm very happy with the way DCS handles controllers. I recently got a Virpil base and the F-18C grip and I'm using them for most modules, while keeping the TM Warthog base and grip for the F-16C and the A-10C, as a side-stick. I have both sticks connected at the same time, with zero issues and conflicts. I do consider that pretty amazing.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Different mappings per module are definately gold. Also havig some standard things like the view keys the same all across the board, at least when chaning the luas that hold them. If I'm not completely mistaken there's also a category for those already, so we wouldn't need to change the luas anymore, but I just stick to my configs.

This is another small thing that changes lots - being able to modify some scripts. Without that I couldn't have created keybinds for 30, 60 and 90 degrees FOV that I was used to from another sim.

While we are at it: Hotplugging. I remember having to restart DCS so often just because some USB issues, like a device not recognized by Windows orderly, FFB freaking out or just changing a profile like in TARGET. Not having to quit there is brilliant.

But the biggest improvement in that regard was when they added the keymapper menu to the sim. Having to go back all the time to do some bindings, especially when learning a new module, was a real pain in the plot.

Back then: "How do I?" - "You have to use this and that keybind" - "Damnit, I haven't bound that yet, but I don't wanna quit and restart now, wasting the 45 minutes I'm already in flight..."

Todaym just hit ESC, map that thing and go on.

Being able to use VR controllers is also very awesome, even though it still needs quite some work, like the right one always manipulating things without the grip key pressed or not being able to individually map the controllers yet.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

+1

A little good thing: if I use f- menus I must first ask startup and then taxiing even if my engines are running, with waicom I can ask directly for taxiing and ATC answers.

A little bad thing: prop planes lack smoke and fire from the engines, and they should be added as soon as possible. DCS prop planes sound is way better than that other title, but the lack of smokes and fire...

The experiences are what does it for me, especially in VR.

Example: Flying a mission, get engaged by various Iranian interceptors. Fox 2 on a Mig 21, after splash start maneuvering to get my nose on his buddy. While steering, notice the burning wreckage of the Mig 21 is on a collision course with me. Keeping an eye on the incoming wreckage and his bastard friend that i'm trying to get solution on. Burning wreck passes me so close that I can see detailed damage modeling within the smoke and fire.