Spitfire Start-up

NineLine

This guy has the "technique": :)

Brave Gent in that "Old Crate".

• Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• ED Team
And this one too, even though he seems to use his own procedure,

S!

Another variation by-pilot tends to be when they turn on the mags. Some do prior to engine crank, but this can lead to per-ignition in the cylinders and lead to back fires. Others will rely just on the coil to start the engine, and then engage the mags once the engine has started.

However, you really do NOT want to move the cut-off lever to run until after the engine starts turning over. Based on my talks with Nick, that's a big no-no.

Note that I did make one big mistake in the video, I referenced the incorrect fuel pump switch (it was actually the fuel pressure pump for the blister tank). The correct pump switch is down by the trim wheels. Still learning this aircraft...

Thanks

And this one too, even though he seems to use his own procedure,

S!

That's pretty text-book though. Note that just before the cut-away at 3:09, he seems to be pumping the ki-gass (as per Pilot's Notes). Pity we don't see if he held the booster longer than the starter. Note also how the Wobble Pump, well, wobbles... which it doesn't in the released DCS vid. (2:44)

The pilot does seem to use the Idle Cut-Off out of (normal?) sequence though, a la "Wags". However, he seems to be sliding it forward (on) before priming, rather than some P-51-esque press-and-flip-the-lever waggle-ballet. Given that the voice-over is out of sequence here (the narrator mentions the propeller control going fully forward - don't let's get started on that again!) we may be looking at a TV balls-up, but I am willing to concede that one.

Looks like they are BBMF too. That gives them slightly better credentials than the "this simulation was voiced by my old pal Wiggles, who must have heard it from his acquaintance Biggles, who owns some old 'planes, so it must be true - and bugger all the historical documentation!" line on here, wouldn't you all say?

Speaking of old aeroplanes... perhaps you (Alan) should "at least google before talking" yourself, particularly before giving me that sort of passive aggressive negative rep. I know that (Sir?) Stephan Grey is an old Shekel-Farmer of some renown who also owns The Fighter Collection... However, and feel free to correct me on this one, TFC don't seem to have a Mk IX Spitfire on their books.

http://fighter-collection.com/cft/tfc-aircraft-directory/

Only, nobody is even impugning his knowledge or experience. Grey is only being used (erroneously?) as prop to shore up someone else's professional reputation by (presumably well-meaning) third parties.

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

• ED Team

Speaking of old aeroplanes... perhaps you (Alan) should "at least google before talking" yourself, particularly before giving me that sort of passive aggressive negative rep. I know that (Sir?) Stephan Grey is an old Shekel-Farmer of some renown who also owns The Fighter Collection... However, and feel free to correct me on this one, TFC don't seem to have a Mk IX Spitfire on their books.

They did own one for some time, they dont currently. As for getting negative rep... should probably let it go, in the grand scheme of things, its not something to get so upset about. Please enjoy the vids given, when you get the module feel free to submit any bugs you might think you found, and try not turning threads into competitions on how you think you know more than the next guy.

All these vids are on WIP modules. ED also has a very good wealth of knowledge on many aircraft that have passed through the doors of TFC. Give them a little credit, if you are unwilling, you are free not to post here, its not helpful to be so negative and condescending.

https://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

http://fighter-collection.com/cft/tfc-aircraft-directory/

Only, nobody is even impugning his knowledge or experience. Grey is only being used (erroneously?) as prop to shore up someone else's professional reputation by (presumably well-meaning) third parties.

You keep being mean to somebody you don't even know, I would gladly mark you again negatively :thumbup:. Currently TFC owns not one but two Spits, not to mention they make money restoring and selling aircraft, I don't know how many Spits along other aircraft have they restored and sell, or how many do they maintain and overhaul a year. Let me believe they know their business beforehand insulting anybody, mate :smilewink:.

S!

P.S.: my nickname isn't Alan, not even close.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Speaking of Spitfire start-up and related, I'm wondering whether ED would consider including WAAF ground-crews for the Spitfire IX? It would really buck the chaps up as they soar into combat against the wily Hun, knowing that their aircraft had been serviced by these plucky young ladies:

A_Waaf_Armourer_Belting_Up_Ammunition_For_a_Lancaster_Bomber_CH12285_zpszttrx7sb.jpg

Royal_Air_Force_Fighter_Command_1939-1945._CE23_zpsgjgfzonx.jpg

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

Speaking of Spitfire start-up and related, I'm wondering whether ED would consider including WAAF ground-crews for the Spitfire IX? It would really buck the chaps up as they soar into combat against the wily Hun, knowing that their aircraft had been serviced by these plucky young ladies:

A_Waaf_Armourer_Belting_Up_Ammunition_For_a_Lancaster_Bomber_CH12285_zpszttrx7sb.jpg

Royal_Air_Force_Fighter_Command_1939-1945._CE23_zpsgjgfzonx.jpg

+1 :D

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I was just thinking the starter and booster coil button covers are spring loaded, so unless there is a catch on the cover you shouldn't have to flip the cover back once you have finished?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
I was just thinking the starter and booster coil button covers are spring loaded, so unless there is a catch on the cover you shouldn't have to flip the cover back once you have finished?

Not sure, but I think that is impractical for a sim, you would end up holding 4 switches to start

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Not sure, but I think that is impractical for a sim, you would end up holding 4 switches to start

The covers would not be opened manually if they implemented springs, it would have to be an animation.

I would prefer that personally, especially since it would be hard to implement covers in a simpit :D

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team

I am sure the ED team have considered it, and they will read this discussion, I suppose there are other ways of doing it as mentioned.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

But isn't the spring simply for the 'over centre' action so they hold open and hold closed, they aren't meant to be permanently sprung shut.
Yep, my thought also. I don't see that kind of spring can close the cover by itself.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

But isn't the spring simply for the 'over centre' action so they hold open and hold closed, they aren't meant to be permanently sprung shut.

I think you might be right, hence this design the spring is relaxed at closed and fully open.

Still I would rather not have to click them closed in DCS.

Especially since it is something that you could quickly flick closed after pressing the buttons in real life, to have to physically click them closed seems far to clumsy an interpretation in DCS

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

Agreed. If it requires a separate closure action in reality, then that is what we should have here too. We already have safety covers in the P-51D, and there is no issue with closing them as part of the start up procedure, so why do we need to make an issue of it with the Spitfire?

Just make it work like the prototype, and be done with it.

No hold for cover operation will be need: click in the cover for open (or hit briefly the mapped key/button), then press and hold the start button (key or joy button), release, click or press in cover down command. :)

If their operation was modeled individually as above will allow cockpit makers implement then using proximity "red switch" or some mechanical arrange with hidden switch. Example:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2900016&postcount=65

"Impatient" users can edit LUA and make the flip operation simultaneous with press switch, like is possible do, e.g. for Mig-21 chute release button and cover.

After all, as this topic are showing for many the "fun" will be replicate the Pilot Notes procedures in the last detail. ;)

• ED Team

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about the next video. However, there are a lot of changes to the Spit this week as we get it ready for Early Access release and it was not at a state that I could create a video. The Normandy map as well was unusable this week.

Once I get a suitable Spit and Normandy map build, I plan on create a taxi, takeoff, and climbout video.

Thanks

Finally ED can manage to recreate an engine sound that gets close to the real thing!

Let's hope that they manage to do the same to the already released warbirds...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about the next video. However, there are a lot of changes to the Spit this week as we get it ready for Early Access release and it was not at a state that I could create a video. The Normandy map as well was unusable this week.

Once I get a suitable Spit and Normandy map build, I plan on create a taxi, takeoff, and climbout video.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Wags, cannot wait to see the next video :)

Project IX Cockpit