Performance vs. DCS Spitfire

KansasCS

Nitrous Dioxyde was the GM1 system. As far as I am aware, they tried the MW-50 quite early (A4 or something) and found, that the benefits were too small at least at that time of the war. The engine just didn't work that well with the MW-50. I don't know, if there were large numbers of Antons with the system, but I doubt it, after all I read about it.

Just dropping this here:

“Increased emergency power: Starting from July 1944 all Fw 190 A-8 aircraft will be equipped with "increased emergency". By overridding the supercharger boost regulator, boost pressures are increased at take-off and emergency power in low supercharger setting from 1,42 ata to 1,58 ata and at the high supercharger setting from 1,42 to 1,65 ata. Thus an increase of speed up to 13.6 mph (22 km/h) is obtained with low supercharger operation and up to 15.5 mph (25 km/h) with high supercharger operation. The maximum operating time for increased emergency is limited to 10 minutes due to thermal reasons.”

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/fw190a8.html

This would be in accordance with the screenshot I just posted

It says nothing about fuel type though, only the boost regulator.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Various German websites say it had MW50, though not all A8s had them. Certain Rüstsätze included nitrous oxide injection for high alt performance boost(not the same as MW50, if I understand correctly).

This pic is directly from wikipedia. Like I said, Dunno if it’s correct or not.

According to Smith/Creek the designers installed an additional fuel tank, also capable of carrying unprotected tanks for MW-50 and GM-1 with a capacity of 115 of 85 litres resp..

The A8 has MW50.

NEVER has.

If DCS didn’t model it, then...

... then is correct.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

It was definitely tested at some point. But other than the German wikipedia page for the 190 which claims that it was used as WEP late in the war I never found any sources for it. My guess is they assumed it used the same WEP as other German fighters....

What I did find was this document from March 15. 1944 which discusses Performance increases for the A-8: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/Fw_190_A-8_15-3-44.pdf

(basically reiterates what several others here have mentioned)

For the Jabo-Rei & Schlachtflugzeug versions: Increase in Manifold Pressure from 1,42 to 1,65 ata with C3 injection. Cleared for 3x10 minute uses, with 10 minutes cooldown time in between.

For Normaljäger (Normal Fighter):

I: Values From Rechlin not currently cleared for use (not sure if this refers to the ones below or some other test report).

MP increase from 1,42 ata to 1,58 ata for the 1st Supercharger gear, and 1,65 ata fir the 2nd gear.

No C3 Injection

Allowed for 10 minute use at all altitudes. Caution to be taken in climbing flight (but still allowed).

II: GM-1 Boost.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I tried fighting the AI Spit, set to excellent level. Got shot down. TEN times.

AI Spit is faster, climbs better and...well, let me see now...oh yes it turns a bit better too :)

Ok I made a test:

From zero to around 4ooo meters the 190 A8 is faster

While climbing at the speed of 400kmh, the Spit can't follow..

It dive faster, roll faster but cannot turn inside a Spit...

I tried fighting the AI Spit, set to excellent level. Got shot down. TEN times.

AI Spit is faster, climbs better and...well, let me see now...oh yes it turns a bit better too :)

Well.. I made a test vs AI Spit IX:

From zero to around 3ooo meters the 190 A8 is faster

While climbing at the speed of 400kmh, the Spit can't follow..

It dive faster, roll faster but cannot turn inside a Spit...

NEVER has.

... then is correct.

They tested MW50 and found the speed gain to be 16km/h at 100m. Given the complexities of the MW50 system, they opted to go for c3-system and higher manifold pressure rating at the time(not just A8s)

the C3-injection system basically raised the fuel flow with an added pump. It was said to be especially effective at improving rate of climb, which made it a viable option for the A8s as well. The degree of usage is unknown though. However, it WAS used.

By Juli 1944, all A8s were rated with the heightened emergency manifold pressure(no C3, no MW50, no GM-1 explicitly stated in this context), which bumped the speed by 25km/h at altitude(1,65 ata).

It was activated by a pull lever on the main dash.

Source: http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archiv/Dokumente/web/new%20site/frames2/Dokumente.htm

I have also included the drawing of the proposed MW50 system for the BMW 801-D Engine, as found in the A8.

28AED55D-75C2-4B09-9271-35389C4907B7.jpeg.599043bf0387aa498f6a154982a6c1f7.jpeg