MFD/UFC Combo [WIP]

I was going to order a Cougar MFD but decided to just make my own using a BBI-64. Since I play in VR, I didn't need a screen on it so I decided to use this space to house the UFC.

A toggle switch on top of it will apply modifiers so I can swap between left/right/center MFDs.

I still have about a few more things to print but here's the progress so far.

gHY5DIt.png

djzqxPB.jpg

tkRv8ne.jpg

Using numpad keys from old keyboard for the UFC keypad

xDXJ4Gy.jpg

hYPP7yt.jpg

Nice work! What's funny is I'm a tech hoarder. I don't throw anything out. And yesterday, as I was finishing my CNC enclosure and doing a test run (by make a waste board). To kill time, I started to clean out my garage. I and I ended up throwing out some old keyboards. And I said to myself, "but what if I need these keycaps????" And I convinced myself to "let it go...."

AND NOW YOU POST THIS!!!! LOL. I knew I should have kept some keycaps.

What program do you use for the CAD and CAM?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Nice work! What's funny is I'm a tech hoarder. I don't throw anything out. And yesterday, as I was finishing my CNC enclosure and doing a test run (by make a waste board). To kill time, I started to clean out my garage. I and I ended up throwing out some old keyboards. And I said to myself, "but what if I need these keycaps????" And I convinced myself to "let it go...."

AND NOW YOU POST THIS!!!! LOL. I knew I should have kept some keycaps.

What program do you use for the CAD and CAM?

Lol, I had the same feeling after throwing away an old mechanical keyboard a few months back so I had to settle for the keys off a clunky old Dell keyboard instead.

I use Fusion360 for CAD (still a noob with it) and Cura for slicer.

Lol, I had the same feeling after throwing away an old mechanical keyboard a few months back so I had to settle for the keys off a clunky old Dell keyboard instead.

I use Fusion360 for CAD (still a noob with it) and Cura for slicer.

Thanks for that. I'm always curious what people use. I'm a Vectric user (CNC oriented). I may tackling cutting something out of acrylic.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Damn, that's starting to look great! Really wish I kept those two keyboards. LOL. Although, I can probably go dumpster diving at work. Hmmm

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Can't agree more with this idea and design. I came up with almost identical idea a while ago, but haven't got the tool and time to actually implement it... Good to see it is getting real...

Great work, keep it up!

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

Oh, one challenge though that I've been thinking but haven't got any ideal solution yet:

Since we have multiple MFD/DDI in the Hornet, what's your solution of using this box to control all of them?

One of my thought is to implement a thumb key at the bottom of that panel, like the space bar of a normal keyboard, as a "modifier". One of Razor's key pad product has such design. But it is still not good enough: 1) it'll only let you control 2 rather than 3 of the MFDs; 2) keep on holding down that modifier while operating isn't good enough...

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, one challenge though that I've been thinking but haven't got any ideal solution yet:

Since we have multiple MFD/DDI in the Hornet, what's your solution of using this box to control all of them?

One of my thought is to implement a thumb key at the bottom of that panel, like the space bar of a normal keyboard, as a "modifier". One of Razor's key pad product has such design. But it is still not good enough: 1) it'll only let you control 2 rather than 3 of the MFDs; 2) keep on holding down that modifier while operating isn't good enough...

It's hard to tell due to the angle of the picture but I have a 3-way (on-off-on) toggle switch on top for swapping between the three Hornet DDIs. When switched to either of the ON positions, one of two modifier keys is applied using Joy2Key.

This works really well but I just need to remember to switch it back to the OFF position when I'm done or it will impact my HOTAS keybindings since they don't use modifiers.

This works really well but I just need to remember to switch it back to the OFF position when I'm done or it will impact my HOTAS keybindings since they don't use modifiers.

The better thing would be to bind your HOTAS controls to both modifiers so it wouldn't matter.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)