DCS Update Patch Notes Discussion Thread

NineLine

I'm sure many things were fixed under the hood, but this new patch left carrier ops still broken, and performance not improved whatsoever. At least player and client units won't change to AI randomly now.

@rwbishUP: I doubt we are losing DCS or anything like that. Au contraire. 2.5.6 is a big step but it got messed up, and it is being worked on. If we were losing DCS, there wouldn't be such fundamental changes that could break the game so much in the first place ;)

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been using DCS but for about 6 mos. Is this something that has happened before, or is this something to be concerned about? I mean, is this a sign that we're going to lose DCS? And also, is the problem financial, time constraints, programmer resources or something else?

Not really. The bigger 2.5.4->2.5.5->2.5.6 are typically fraught with more problems than the standard we fixed some stuff and added some stuff to the planes updates. This patch cycle is IMO comparable to the when the F14 was released last year, it broke a bunch of stuff too. Fixing it all has not been quite as fast IMO.

FWIW I just flew online with roughly the same performance as the last 2.5.6 patch so not better, but not worse..

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Love the update VR works great for me, they fixed the left eye issue with shading and cloud distance, and the mission planer bug, which was related to the AI scripting player replacement bug.

I love it kicking ass in my A10A Campaign..

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I find performance about the same as the last patch, FPS still about 25% down in VR, things seem 2.5.5 level in flat screen. I thought about reverting but I really like the improved MFD graphics in the F16, both on the main screen and on the exports. So I will fly 2d for awhile and concentrate on learning the systems. I’m am patient and still having fun but I feel for the MP folk.

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Yeah...Been trying to stay positive and defend ED but looks like it's time to give up and move on. This is getting ridiculous.

Nothing important getting fixed. No promises being kept.

Yeah you're not kidding - whatever happened to the Clear Tint Canopy option for the F-16 that was coming in this patch? Literally nothing was improved in the Viper at all. Couple of training missions and a page in the manual...wat?

... we have added an option in the Options / Special Tab of the F-16C to select between the gold tint and transparent canopy...https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4229005&postcount=38

Ummmm - no you haven't Wags. (yes I know everything else listed at link above is WIP...I mean what isn't at this point). It's ok thou - because as usual the community has fixed it instead - clear option here - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308270/

Also, ED must be the only dev that absolutely tanks the performance of their program so you can take prettier screenshots - because I mean lets face it that's all you are doing at 5fps...you sure aint flying a combat flight sim.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Screw the Viper, lets just get the bloody software running and running well. I'd trade 100 viper updates for a stable core.

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430

Screw the Viper, lets just get the bloody software running and running well. I'd trade 100 viper updates for a stable core.

Totally agree! - my post was just regarding the comment 'No promises being kept.'

I would be happy to fly anything at this point!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah you're not kidding - whatever happened to the Clear Tint Canopy option for the F-16 that was coming in this patch? Literally nothing was improved in the Viper at all. Couple of training missions and a page in the manual...wat?

... we have added an option in the Options / Special Tab of the F-16C to select between the gold tint and transparent canopy...https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4229005&postcount=38

Ummmm - no you haven't Wags. (yes I know everything else listed at link above is WIP...I mean what isn't at this point). It's ok thou - because as usual the community has fixed it instead - clear option here - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308270/

Also, ED must be the only dev that absolutely tanks the performance of their program so you can take prettier screenshots - because I mean lets face it that's all you are doing at 5fps...you sure aint flying a combat flight sim.

What was getting at is that I have modules that are years old. Not one or two but 5 or 6 years that show no signs that initial promises will ever be kept or bugs fixed. If you think that new modules are going to be brought up to snuff, just keep in mind that modules that are over 5 years old are still waiting for promises that were made. I have long given up on purchasing new modules because ED isn't holding up their end of the bargain on many of the modules I have purchased in the long past. It's about time to start holding them accountable. So.....I'm just moving on.

I'm sure many things were fixed under the hood, but this new patch left carrier ops still broken, and performance not improved whatsoever. At least player and client units won't change to AI randomly now.

@rwbishUP: I doubt we are losing DCS or anything like that. Au contraire. 2.5.6 is a big step but it got messed up, and it is being worked on. If we were losing DCS, there wouldn't be such fundamental changes that could break the game so much in the first place ;)

+1

It seems that releasing 2.5.6 in February is a failure. It's March now, and it is frustrated that F-14B Debrief error, Carrier Operations broken still unsolved.

We need a more detailed explanation from ED about that.

I traded 1 to 4 Viper updates for it. Caus I use stable DCS. No game breaking problems so far.

I use the current OB. I have no game breaking issue either :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Haven't been using DCS but for about 6 mos. Is this something that has happened before, or is this something to be concerned about? I mean, is this a sign that we're going to lose DCS? And also, is the problem financial, time constraints, programmer resources or something else?

I am also a bit concerned about the whole situation. ED made 5 or 6 major sales in the last 6 month. So much like never before. This and the whole 2.5.6 mess I find really concerning.

• ED Team

2.5.6 had some major changes, especially with lighting.

The team are working on the issues and looking into performance.

This is a public test open beta and there will be ups and downs during development.

Your feedback and reports help us so please if you have an issue please post in the correct bug section with helpful data ( tracks and logs ) and we will take a look

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well I've got some good news for you. Our group (TFK) updated today and had to wait all day before we could test it (people being at work and all) We were on the brink of rolling back to 2.5.5 just from what we were reading here with peoples experiences to the new patch and honestly after the last few nights testing 2.5.6 and getting abysmal performance (Hosting ~20 players in VR and going from a solid 45fps before to eh 6! :cry:) we were not expecting much. But, tonight has been a really good experience nearly all round, hosting I'm back to a very smooth 30fps, still lost 15 frames but its smooth so much better and in a very simple warbird navigation exercise we did I experienced my highest ever fps in VR 60+! It was a very simple mission though, but much better than we were expecting, so thanks ED, The Flying Kiwis are back into multiplayer! :thumbup: I hope this gives hope to others.

Edit: A few of the bugs are still there though from an initial look, the main and Static1 text in VR is still present (and I would confidently estimate 80+ % of our player pool of 30+ players is using VR), static objects still defaulting to 'Ammo' and possibly a couple of new bugs with the arming of aircraft. I set the airbase Ras Al Khaimar to only have rockets and every plane that spawned in had all sorts of rocket loadouts going on, some missing, some totally not what was set in the mission editor. Different for everyone. I cant upload a track as its far too big sorry. Not out of the woods yet, but an improvement at least for us.

Edited by Woody01

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

+1

It seems that releasing 2.5.6 in February is a failure. It's March now, and it is frustrated that F-14B Debrief error, Carrier Operations broken still unsolved.

You may need to switch to the Stable release branch instead of OpenBeta, as this is a pretty normal occurrence for a beta test, that introduces major changes to the core version, occasionally. This can require a couple iterations to fix issues, optimization in code etc. ( read as: sometimes it breaks and needs a month or two of fixing).

We have been very, very fortunate with regards to the OpenBeta since 2.5 as we had no major issues for a long time and the 2 or 3 hickups we had that broke something were fixed rapidly.

Even now we get fixes as quick as possible.

Also keep in mind, that it may take third parties a moment or two, adjusting their modules to the changes...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Look @ it from an optimistic pov. When they get it straightened out, it'll be an awesome update.

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

I have no idea what more you feel ED needs to explain, they already did when you elected to go OB:

Here's what they said on the download screen

"What is DCS World Open Beta?

We operate two versions of DCS World, the Open Beta version and the Release version. Because DCS World is a "living" project that changes daily, it's possible for a project-wide bug to work itself in and make the game unplayable for all. To prevent this and add a level of protection, we adopted Open Beta and Release versions.

Most every two weeks (sometimes more with hotfixes) we create a new Open Beta version that comprises the changes from the prior two weeks. Although this first goes through both internal and closed-external testing, it is possible for errors to slip through. In this case, the Open Beta is utilized to identify a "blocking" bug that prevents all customers from playing the game (not just customers of a single module). For those that take part in the Open Beta, we greatly appreciate it and thank you for your testing efforts. If a "blocking bug" is present in the Open Beta, we always have the Release version available. This is why the Release version is sometimes called the Stable version.

As such, the Open Beta version is for us to "field-test" new changes and check for any DCS-wide "Blocking" crashes, and the Release version is the result of the previous Open Beta that does not suffer any "Blocks." As with Early Access, Open Beta is an option and may not be for everyone."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Is it not possible to create exclusions with your AV Software!?

It had been excluded from the time of the last patch as it too had generated a quarantine event

But that does not address why, of late, that the patches are generating an event when before they did not.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

• ED Team

Morning all

This thread is for the patch notes.

I Will delete all off topic posts not related to the last patch notes.

Please stay on topic.

DCS 2.5.6.44266 Open Beta 2020-03-04

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.5.6.44266/

DCS World

Updated Chinese localization (fixed crash on file dialog window opening).

MP. Dedicated Server. Static aircraft elevated from the ground - fixed.

MP. Dedicated Server. Memory leak using stennis - fixed.

MP. Dedicated Server. AAA and SAM will not engage targets until they have passed overhead - fixed.

ME. Fixed a bug leading to unauthorized switching of a player’s aircraft to AI.

Sound Options. Add "Play Audio While Minimized" option.

AI CH-47 not land in user mission - fixed.

HOLD not working at waypoint zero for units - fixed.

Input. Clear combination action raised error for axes in Foldable view - fixed.

Chat and BDA panel configs moved to the user's folder for preventing crash in LUA script.

Someone logged into your account on a different machine.

DCS AV-8B by RAZBAM

NSEQ routing now enabled

EHSD Overlay 1: Air refueling zones enabled (max 3)

EHSD Overlay 2: Flight plan route display enabled.

ILV cockpit files updated

Fixed issue with the guns firing with a Nozzle angle less than 30 Degrees

Fixed fuel pump keybind issue

Improved nose wheel steering logic

DCS Mirage 2000c by RAZBAM

M-2000C Caucasus Campaign:

M05: Flight Lead now waits for player before taxiing

M-2000C Coup d’Etat Campaign:

M01: fixed UAZ refusing to move

M02: fixed issue with F-5s not engaging friendly helos

M02: if F5 crashes into the hills before Iranian attack, the mission will no longer fail

Training missions (Caucasus and NTTR): updates to reflect changes to the module. Added kneeboard pages with instructions to each mission

ILV cockpit files updated

Seat height range adjusted

Fixed issue with INS Panel not working after using JVN Switch

DCS JF-17 by Deka Ironwork Simulations

Fixed missing coord in DST page if entered manually

Fixed AKG route points load for rwy/airborne

Fixed campaign 03/04 brief, dialog, triggers

Fixed radio freq init from ME

Fixed DGFT SOI auto following MFCD with RDR AA page

Fixed TOT calc (now is the diff between planned arrival time and estimated arrival time based on current distance/speed)

Added S2 Fwd/Bwd change HSD scale when HSD is SOI

Added ext light device binding

Added T1 master mode device binding

Added T3 speedbrake device binding

Adjust flash light color/brightness

Adjust AKG launch ceil (7500m -> 8500m)

Removed rockets from inner pylon

Updated unit payload accordingly

Updated cockpit texture (warning light and panels)

Adjust weapon warhead (802 series, LD10, 701 series)

Adjust SD10 loft

DCS Black Shark 2

Georgian Oil War - Grand Campaign - mission ATO-A-P4.2. Added tigger with removing trees action for tank platoon "G Tank 1".

Tuned autostart script that could not start the second engine at an air temperature above +30 Celsius.

The L-140 panel behind the right shoulder has been restored.

Corrected EGT needles color.

Connector of the laser standby switch will be linked with this switch. No need to click the void space.

Corrected engine levers LH RH text.

Auto-man switch animation fixed.

Weapon panel lamps color fixed.

DCS F-16C Viper

Added new F-16C training mission covering CCRP Bombing and CBUs.

Added new UFC training mission.

Updated TACAN DED Page information in Early Access Guide.

DCS F/A-18C Hornet

Updated Flight Manual CN

AIM-120 Rapid fire crash - fixed.

DCS A-10C Warthog

Fixed waypoint names for three A-10C instant action missions.

Fixed french WP names in MESSAGE TO ALL Triggers.

DCS AJS-37 Viggen

Fixed issue where RAT-generator would retract on no weight on wheels instead of gear up.

Fixed duplicate Restart mapping.

Fixed ctd when pressing IRRBFRAMSTEGN (missile step) or IR-SNABBVAL (fast select) when not carrying sidewinders. Also fixed issue when turning off IRRBFRAMSTEGN it would perform another missile-step.

Integrated custom bomb ballistics solver.

Fixed issue where air density was hardcoded but should be calibrated by groundcrew.

Fixed animation of magnetic declination knob.

C-101 by AVIODEV

Kneeboard is now not visible in the internal view when the pilot is not present.

Moving the front cockpit air diffuser will not hide/show the control stick.

Updated Caucasus cold start QS mission. (Replaced AI C-130 by Yak-52 since it was too large for the parking positions at that airport).

Campaigns

Bf 109 K-4 Jagdflieger Campaign by Reflected Simulations.

Bomber formation performance optimizations

Revised Spawning points

Updated P-51D Mustang skins

P-51D Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney Campaign by Reflected Simulations.

Revised Spawning points

Revised climbing waypoints

Spitfire IX The Big Show Campaigns by Reflected Simulations.

Revised Spawning points

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

That doesn't fix the problem he's talking about, though. Quite the opposite.
No, simply use stable and ignore, that there is a beta.

Or do we hear constant rants from the same people that the alpha release (internal testbuild) needs to be fixed, gets fixed daily and sometimes breaks etc.? No we don't, because they don't know what's happening in this branch.

The requirements for "stable" is at least a somehow "stable" build. As long as the beta version needs more work to be considered "stable", we likely won't see a new push to stable and more minor fixes to the OpenBeta. It actually takes time to fix stuff.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

No, simply use stable and ignore, that there is a beta.

Using the stable branch does not help with nailing down issues in the beta branch. The problem is that, until some pretty significant core changes have been made to the beta, neither does the beta branch — in a couple of cases, beta-testing hasn't been possible because the beta was too broken to allow it. It's a bit worrying that there are so little in the patch notes that point towards those issues being addressed. Frustration will inevitably rise over time.

To some extent, this goes into the age-old “people working on X can't help with Y”, so all we see are the low-hanging X-type issues being picked off and included in the updates while the Y-devs are toiling away silently in the background. It also goes into the issue brought to the fore-front more recently, where ED could become a bit more communicative and where they even expressed some cognizance of that problem.

It is not exactly unknown that 2.5.6 has been… special… as far as issues go, and it would probably serve ED well to not just include “this has been added/fixed” to the updates, but also some communication on what is being worked on as far as broken core functionality goes. Just seeing it mentioned would go a long way towards making it seem less ignored and abandoned. It takes time to fix stuff, yes, but in the meantime, it's to everyone's benefit to communicate what is being fixed. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• ED Team

Closed due to off topic

Will reopen for next patch notes.

Edited by BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Hi all

We wont be patching open beta 2.5.6 this week,

Our plan is to patch next week and we will of course keep you updated with news as we get closer.

Thank you.

New patch note discussion thread has been created here

Edited by BIGNEWY