ME errors causing save failure

Building a simple F18 practice mission and after putting in some F18s and a few simple bits of window dressing on their base I started adding some cargo ships moving up and down the gulf. However something goes wrong and I get the following in my dcs.log and the save button remains blued out like the save is in progress and never returns to white to indicate the save finishes. If I try to exit save=yes does not work and I have to do a save=no. I've attached a screen shot of the editor at the time and also the mission for what it's worth after doing an exit with save = no. I had noticed this issue earlier on another version of this mission where I persisted and kept going back in after restarting dcs and adding more and hitting the same issue repeatedly and eventually found that on the save = no exit I got stuck on a black screen and never made it back to the menu and had to end DCS via task manager. That same mission also would run in single player but fail to load in MP. I didn't raise it at the time because I was using MOOSE to run random air traffic and wasn't sure if that was part of the problem. The attached mission is basically me trying to restart the build without MOOSE to see what happened and apparently it would seem like it isn't MOOSE. No mods running by the way when this occurred. I was however using the copy and paste functionality in the editor while creating units. At the point this occurred there were no triggers or manually written scripts present at all just units.

2018-06-06 09:38:07.589 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_ship.lua"]:700: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

GUI debug.traceback: stack traceback:

[C]: ?

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_ship.lua"]:700: in function 'updateHeading'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:6730: in function 'updateHeading'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1796: in function 'createMapElements'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:540: in function 'createMap'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:3390: in function 'show'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_toolbar.lua"]:643: in function 'saveMission'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_toolbar.lua"]:654: in function 'onChange'

[string "./dxgui/bind/ToggleButton.lua"]:20: in function 'callback'

[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:330: in function <[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:325>

Untitled.thumb.jpg.662abe09fbe2d9278ce13eaac553a595.jpg

457 F18 practice2.miz

Edited by Stonehouse

• ED Team

Hi Stonehouse

I tried to reproduce this but was unable.

are you sure you have no left over unofficial mods maybe in saved games missioneditor folder?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'll double check although it may be tomorrow as it's pretty much time to head off to sleep here. I use JSGME to manage mods so there shouldn't be but it is worth checking. At the moment most of the ones I use are alternate controls to give me true switches for my Warthog and avoid the double switching dance and Mustang's terrain mod and my Spitty clean canopy so you wouldn't think they would impact ships but who knows. I'll get back to you soon anyway.

Cheers

Ok I've checked my mission editor folder under saved games and can't see anything that is out of place to my eyes in regard to the mission editor. Only thing maybe even slightly related to mods that I can see is some of the unit payloads in the UnitPayloads folder are for mod aircraft. Weather folder is empty. I have used the coalition switcher mod in the past though even it's uninstalled now. In case you can see something out of place or potentially suspicious Newy, I have attached a screen shot of the mission editor saved game folder contents.

Thanks,

Stoney

PS I guess you could call the template lua from Stuka's unit templates a mod in regard to the editor, I have checked it and it seems to be just ground units so I didn't think it would be a likely root cause. ie combattemplates.v2.lua

PPS Haven't had a chance to retest after today's patch.

Untitled.jpg.326bd9d0581a4d8e39b196bf093548ce.jpg

Edited by Stonehouse
PS & today's patch

Ok I have retested after patching and get the same issue. Specifically what I did was to open the mission attached a few posts up, then select a group of ships, control C control V to create a new group. Moved the way points around a bit and then selected a group (most southern blue) and using the "Unit x of y" section of the group properties I increased the number of ships in a group by clicking the ">" on the "y" portion of the section. Then using the <> for the x part of the section I navigated through the units in the group and changed the ship type. So Dry Cargo to Bulk or tanker etc. Note before changing the blue group I did the same on one of the red groups, it may be important to note that these red groups are Iranian which I think has had the civ ships added for PG?? ie new coalition or at least new units associated with the coalition.

Anyway between fiddling around with each group I hit the save icon (diskette symbol) and after a short period of doing this sort of activity it went blue and didn't return to the white state. Checking dcs.log I see the same error block exactly:

2018-06-07 03:45:40.825 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_ship.lua"]:700: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:6732: in function 'updateHeading'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1796: in function 'createMapElements'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:540: in function 'createMap'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_toolbar.lua"]:643: in function 'saveMission'

[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:330: in function <[string "./dxgui/bind/Widget.lua"]:325>

PS Thinking about the Iranian idea I went back to try again. I started a fresh mission with the same coalition setup as the previous one. Once the map had loaded I placed an Iranian Bulk cargo ship on the map, added half a doz waypoints, changed the number of units in the group. No issues. Did a control C and V to create a second group. Repositioned the second groups waypoints a bit. Still no problem. I then went and incremented the number of units FOR THE PASTED GROUP using the method described above. I immediately had the save issue occur. So as a guess I believe the cut and paste is losing something vital in the definition for the pasted group and this triggers the error when you try to change the unit count in the pasted group. I also went back and this time tried USA and the Stennis. Repeated method and had the issue occur immediately after changing the number of units in the group. Repeated it again on Caucasus but this time with the CG-60 ship type with the same results. So it seems fairly conclusive that it is not any particular unit but the cut and paste combined with the changing of number of units in the group for the pasted group that triggers the error. Maybe a bug crept in with the new template stuff??

PS Sorry BigNewy but just while I have your attention - could I also draw your attention to this bug that I reported ages ago too please? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3520572#post3520572 It basically stops WW2 shipping strike missions as well as modern anti ship missions using bombs. If you've already seen it and it has been reported for fixing some time down the track all good but if it hasn't could you please look at it. It is very reproducible and even Grimes has tried it and seen the same issue.

Edited by Stonehouse
Possible error scenario

Just wondered if you needed any more info BigNewy? Were you able to replicate the problem? If not and you feel it is a problem at my end, do you have any suggestions as to how I might sort it out?

Thanks.

PS This morning I also tried deleting my mission editor folder from my saved games DCS folder and the issue still persists.

Edited by Stonehouse
PS

I've been able to produce this issue, although I don't know the steps I have taken exactly to get it reproduced.

It essentially came down to the fact that the save dialog would pop up but nothing would happen when you clicked save. The dialog would show when you exit the mission editor, or attempt to run your mission, but it would always ask you to save while failing to do whatever action you asked. Essentially freezes the editor.

I think it has something to do with copying/pasting groups or a number of units but I am unsure.

Note: I have had this issue for a number of builds now, so I don't think this is an issue that crept up recently. Just something that has persisted and is hard to track down due to the difficult reproduction.

Just as a quick not for an avenue that might be worth investigating, this behaviour sounds strikingly similar to what happens if you start manually editing the mission or dictionary files contained in the .miz file. Specifically, in that case, it's connected to mismatches and desyncs between the unit ID:s and the associated dictionary keys — either that a dictionary key has gone missing (deleted or simply mislabelled) or that there are duplicate ID:s somewhere.

When this happens, the editor will work as normal, right up until the point where you try to save, and whatever function is in charge of keeping track of and organising those keys and ID:s notices that something is wrong and just silently fails, causing the whole save procedure to fail as well.

While it will be a bit of a hassle to go through and verify, there might be some relation to how the copy/paste action works – maybe it copies the units too well and causes those overlap, or maybe the exact opposite: that it just copies the units, but fails to create the proper ID/dictionary key pairs.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Issue still exists after the latest patch

2018-06-14 03:46:14.958 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_ship.lua"]:700: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:6732: in function 'updateHeading'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_toolbar.lua"]:679: in function 'func'

[string "./Scripts/UI/ProgressBarDialog.lua"]:138: in function 'updater'

[string "./Scripts/UpdateManager.lua"]:64: in function <[string "./Scripts/UpdateManager.lua"]:40>

mission save corruption

The blue remaining save icon is not new to OB 2.5.2.18736.400; exit icon and fly / prepare mission endlessly forced to popup save dialog to a theoretically just saved mission!

but the saved mission corruption is new to me, mini Caucasus mission attached

(two shipgroup, two airstart plane, one hot carrier group)

This mission is corrupted via hand save-prepare mission save-save-save...no save.

dcs.log when a freshly started dcs try to load this mission:

2018-06-20 16:44:15.013 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1170: attempt to index local 'unit' (a nil value)

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1170: in function 'fixWaypointsLinks'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1619: in function 'load'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_toolbar.lua"]:672: in function 'func'

[string "./Scripts/UI/ProgressBarDialog.lua"]:138: in function 'updater'

[string "./Scripts/UpdateManager.lua"]:64: in function <[string "./Scripts/UpdateManager.lua"]:40>

Caucasus FA-18C Carriers.miz

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• 3 months later...

Save failure bug catched, reproducible

0. cleanup and repair

1. Start DCS 2.5.3.21708

2. ME

3. open: "shipgroupROEweaponHold2,5.miz"

4: do as you see in video (adding 3 armed speedboat to the blue shipgroup, move each after adding)

5. endless loop of save, fly, save, fly...

2018-09-22 16:19:45.223 ALERT LUACOMMON: Error: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_ship.lua"]:734: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_ship.lua"]:734: in function 'updateHeading'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:6843: in function 'updateHeading'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_mission.lua"]:1826: in function 'createMapElements'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:544: in function 'createMap'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:3378: in function 'show'

(I have 3 other cases saved. The last two with vanilla install.)

If I run mission from save failure state after debriefing GUI froze with this .../me_ship.lua"]:734:... cause

shipgroupROEweaponHold2,5.miz

dcs.log.txt

Edited by discwalker

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

That is a different error. Need the mission file to try and replicate.

2018-09-26 16:16:19.576 DEBUG LuaGUI: GUI Error: [string "./MissionEditor/modules/loadLiveries.lua"]:86: bad argument #1 to 'loadstring' (string expected, got nil)

[C]: in function 'loadstring'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/loadLiveries.lua"]:86: in function 'loadLiveryZIP'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/loadLiveries.lua"]:110: in function 'loadNameScheme'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/loadLiveries.lua"]:122: in function 'loadSchemes'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_payload.lua"]:494: in function 'updateLiveries'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_payload.lua"]:767: in function 'update'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_loadout.lua"]:533: in function 'updatePayloadWeight'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_loadout.lua"]:561: in function 'selectPayload'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_loadout.lua"]:840: in function 'selectMissionPayload'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_loadout.lua"]:908: in function 'update'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_aircraft.lua"]:1388: in function 'verifyTabs'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_aircraft.lua"]:1708: in function 'update'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:3536: in function 'openPanels'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:3711: in function 'respondToSelectedUnit'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:1544: in function 'selectGroupByMouse'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:1549: in function 'onGroupMouseDown_'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:1674: in function 'callbackSelectUnit'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:1650: in function 'handleLeftMouseDown'

[string "./MissionEditor/modules/me_map_window.lua"]:1316: in function 'onMouseUp'

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Its the behavior that occurs whenever there is a lua error in the editor of any kind. Depending on what it is either the entire editor becomes unresponsive or you have limited functionality.

At any rate I wasn't able to replicate the bug. Do you have any custom liveries installed for any of the aircraft in the mission?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 4 weeks later...

thanks goodness i'm not alone !

just stumbled upon there, i can confirm i have already experienced the "endless save" bug, but i thought it was just 'me' and decided to just start over the mission i was editing..

i can add also that im now experiencing another curious bug that would prevent you to delete/removing units you have placed on the map (planes & ships!) .. this is annoying.

(thanks goodness there is CombatFlite to help)

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+