Ship with EWR capability

miromurin

Hi, is there any russian ship with EWR capability? I want to build mission for Su-33 starting from carrier but I don't know how to add EWR option

Never tried it myself and can't help you with this but it would be really cool if the aircraft carrier could act like an EWR controller. Maybe something for the DCS wishlist or will be added with the F/A-18 and upcomming carrier overhaul?

I think I can help, but why do you need the EWR function on a ship.

I mean why, as in, what function are you hoping EWR will perform for the player in your mission?

A Kuznetsov with an EarlyWarningRadar function would act like an AWACS, scanning the airspace and directing the Su-33 via Link/Radio to contacts without the need of beeing radar active for the Su-33 to find the target(giving away the position of the Su-33 on enemy RWR). At least that is what i think miromurin is trying to achieve.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

In that case, then no, there is no ship that can do that - and the Kutznetov in particular has sort of short radar range.

What I would recommend is actually flying an awacs for your mission, they have incredible range and have been known to fly along side a tanker.

You should find that it's possible for your AWACS to overfly your carrier group in a manner consistent with the reality of its fuel total / burn rate.

Just to give an exact number, the russian used A50 has a range of right around 4000 miles (6400 kilometers) and are capable of in air refueling.

Edited by fergrim

" Kutznetov in particular has sort of short radar range. "

?

It's only got relatively short range radar for it's ADS, but it's got a G/H-band flight control radar that it uses for ATC - that's effectively an EWR that could provide some GCI service... There's a big*ss rotating antenna on top of the superstructure & four 4m x 4m planar arrays pointing up towards air-space mounted around the superstructure.

kuz2.jpg

Cheers.

?

It's only got relatively short range radar for it's ADS, but it's got a G/H-band flight control radar that it uses for ATC - that's effectively an EWR that could provide some GCI service... There's a big*ss rotating antenna on top of the superstructure & four 4m x 4m planar arrays pointing up towards air-space mounted around the superstructure.

I think fergrim was referring to how things work in the game - not for the real ship.

The Kuznetsov has a multitude of radars for different purposes. The ATC installation is just for that - managing air traffic control. The planar arrays are part of the Mars-Passat system, which is an "AEGIS style" installation, the top mounted rotating antenna is a Fregat-MA 3D surface/air search radar(standard on pretty much all Russian warships). These are the ones that provide "GCI service" and can be further augmented by the Ka-31 EAW helicopter, which has no direct connection with airborne fighters, but only serves as an "elevated radar" for the ship's control post.

There is no single radar for ADS - the different AD systems each have their own target acquisition radars(and opticals), such as the MR-360 for each of the Kinzhal systems, while the Kortik system has both a command module(dedicated 3D search radar) and target acquisition radar/opticals on each combat module etc.

JJ

A Kuznetsov with an EarlyWarningRadar function would act like an AWACS, scanning the airspace and directing the Su-33 via Link/Radio to contacts..

Thats how it works on the real ship.

...without the need of beeing radar active for the Su-33 to find the target(giving away the position of the Su-33 on enemy RWR). At least that is what i think miromurin is trying to achieve.

More importantly - fighter radars only find things in the direction they are looking, while 3D search radars scan 360 degrees.

JJ

The planar arrays are part of the Mars-Passat system, which is an "AEGIS style" installation, the top mounted rotating antenna is a Fregat-MA 3D surface/air search radar(standard on pretty much all Russian warships).

Thanks.

Mars-Passat & Fregat-MA make searching easier...

Cheers.