Freezing rain engine shutoff - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
DeltaMike

Default Freezing rain engine shutoff

Engine tends to shut off when taking off at low temps in the rain. Suggestions?

Flight instructor, DCS Academy
DeltaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
WindyTX

Anti ice on

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
DeltaMike

If that worked we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Suspicion it's supposed to be that way, in the sense it's supposed to catch on fire under some circumstances. With the question then being, is that a realistic reflection of the jets capabilities, ie, inoperable at 10 degrees C in the rain. Which I doubt.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
WindyTX

Sorry it was just it wasn't in the post. TBH if it's real freezing rain then you just don't fly. That even includes a B777. But not sure what DCS to model that if it does.

GTX 1080 Has its uses
Old 12-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Vibora
ED Testers Team

We have ice accretion implemented in our simulation. This will happen when the a/c is exposed to icing conditions (temperatures, OAT or TAT during flight, lower than 10 ºC and present moisture).
If you are flying for long time at a TAT a bit lower than 10 ºC without anti-ice on, ice will accumulate in the engine fan blades, which can cause an engine stall or flameout. You'll have to be careful with the throttle avoiding abrupt power changes, if you are careful you'll be able to continue the flight. If you switch on the engine anti-ice switch, ice will disappear after a while.
At very low temperatures, ice will accumulate rapidly and the icing symptoms will appear in the engine in a few minutes.
Always, when under icing conditions, you should switch on engine anti-ice and ignition continuous.

Vibora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Ancallan

Howdy, thanks for the response! I was with DeltaMike when we were experiencing the failures. It sounds as though the anti-ice should keep things running smoothly under most circumstances then?

I made a quick video to highlight what we've been experiencing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1tyB6LBIk

Sorry for the poor quality. However, this mission was set with thunderstorms at 10 degrees C. You can see that even with anti-ice and continuous ignition on, the engine fails after ~5 minutes of remaining idle on the ramp. Is that intended?
Ancallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
DeltaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyTX View Post
Sorry it was just it wasn't in the post. TBH if it's real freezing rain then you just don't fly. That even includes a B777. But not sure what DCS to model that if it does.

This level of realism is part of what makes the C-101 so very appealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibora View Post
We have ice accretion implemented in our simulation. This will happen when the a/c is exposed to icing conditions (temperatures, OAT or TAT during flight, lower than 10 ºC and present moisture).
If you are flying for long time at a TAT a bit lower than 10 ºC without anti-ice on, ice will accumulate in the engine fan blades, which can cause an engine stall or flameout. You'll have to be careful with the throttle avoiding abrupt power changes, if you are careful you'll be able to continue the flight. If you switch on the engine anti-ice switch, ice will disappear after a while.
At very low temperatures, ice will accumulate rapidly and the icing symptoms will appear in the engine in a few minutes.
Always, when under icing conditions, you should switch on engine anti-ice and ignition continuous.
That agrees with our observations. Getting off the ground in those conditions is very tricky, with prolonged idling it does not appear the anti-icing can keep up, easier if you can keep the engine warm.

Does the fuel enrichment button do anything here? I mean, I know it's not a Harley, just asking

Old 12-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #8
hobus

I'm new to this module, and it looks very promising so far. However I also strugle with icing.

Trying the "Instant Action" -> "Caucasus" -> "Landing Hard" gives me a flameout every time even though I use continous ignition and engine anti-ice.

Also, will there be an OAT gauge in coming versions?

Thanks.
hobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
Los

Same here
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #10
WindyTX

It's been a while since I did this but I got it by ensuring I spent min time in the icing layer. I did flameout twice before I realized what was going on.

GTX 1080 Has its uses