Ka-50 Cockpit Systems overhaul Mod (WIP)

Nero.ger

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, in staying true to the Ka50 in "systems not talking to each other" :-D i am not accassing most of the data by aditional functions. Most of the stuff is grabbed from the cockpit itself. Saving a NAVTGT for example is done by actualy pressing the right buttons at the right time and than looking at the coords on the PVI display :). I hope that, by doing it this way, that the mod will be Integrity check Friendly.Which we will find out soon because i am about to port it to the actual version of DCS (was using an older one for several weeks)

so to get back to the DataLink. It might be easier to use but its still limited to its the original function and drawbacks(that TGT 1 might not be TGT 1 om your Wingmens ABRIS for example)

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Nightvision for the Shkval for example, one Model of the Ka50 has it as far as i know, so technicly it would be a reasonably upgrade. And thats my idea, reasonably upgrades to the avionics, like the modern MFD replacing the old Shkval TV instead of just adding features for "MOA POWER".

The handbook actually has some infos in that, see page 1-9. There were several different systems for night vision, they even have a picture of it. Wikipedia also knows a bit about the "night"-variants of the Ka50, Ka50N and Ka50Sh. Unfortunately the section ends with

Neither of the Ka-50 night attack versions have entered full production.

But then a total of 32 units were made, to me that hardly qualifies as "series production".

I am a helicopter person, I just looooove hovering :joystick:

And I am longing for a fun helicopter but to be honest none of the ones implemented in DCS gives me the feeling of having the right tool for the job at hand. With the Ka50 it is two things:

- useless at night

- no RWR and MWS

If there would be an officially approved upgrade to Blackshark for a night operation capable version I would even pay money for it. Because for some reason no-one wants to make a Ah64D module, my secret dream...... :noexpression:

ok a little sneak preview, since the MDF will still take a while to complete:

the HUD System itself as a little MOD so its not all pictures and nothing to try out :)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2253758/

as allways, backup your files bevor because this is still beta or alpha.....;)

Edited by Nero.ger

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

using coords from Jtac to mark target and kill it :)

btw, if someone know how to acces "coord.MGRStoLL(table MGRS)" in the Cockpit enviroment let me know. until then, no MGRS :)

Yes, you can use western MGRS, I do it too on BF and servers where it applies ( and when my rig is finally up&running again baaaahhhhh )

Search for Reaper6's threads and follow them if you want to DIVE DEEP into the Ka-50 Abris.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Great work! Is it possible to have a FPM on the HUD too?

For example, simply calculate the FPM position based on AOA and Sideslip using:

sensor_data.getAngleOfAttack()

sensor_data.getAngleOfSlide()

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

it may be hard to see but the sideslip is allready displayed. its the Small diamond that moves horizontaly. I never thought that the AoA would give usefull data for a helo, will look into it :)

edit: the sideslip marker is not in the released HUD mod because it needs an additional param,but you can see it in the videos

updated 1st post with feature list

Edited by Nero.ger

it may be hard to see but the sideslip is allready displayed. its the Small diamond that moves horizontaly. I never thought that the AoA would give usefull data for a helo, will look into it :)

edit: the sideslip marker is not in the released HUD mod because it needs an additional param,but you can see it in the videos

Thanks. The AOA is basically the angle between the velocity vector and the X-axis (or nose) of the aircraft on the longitudinal axis, so it may be useful when judging ascend or descend. By displaying FPM you can see where you will fly into. Also displayed in an Apache.

Edited by LJQCN101

Thanks. The AOA is basically the angle between the velocity vector and the X-axis (or nose) of the aircraft on the longitudinal axis, so it may be useful when judging ascend or descend. By displaying FPM you can see where you will fly into. Also displayed in an Apache.

There is already an Feet Per Minute/descent and ascent rate gauge in the cockpit which you could presumably pull data from, using side slip and AoA makes it more difficult than neccisary if im understanding your request right.

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

There is already an Feet Per Minute/descent and ascent rate gauge in the cockpit which you could presumably pull data from, using side slip and AoA makes it more difficult than neccisary if im understanding your request right.

Calculating FPM position can be a function of AOA and sideslip only. I'm actually displaying FPM using sideslip and AOA in a module, which is also the way to do I believe in DCS A10C, DCS F15C or DCS M2000 whichever has a FPM indicator. (Although they will build the function into the dll.) You just don't need the vertical velocity to be involved in the calculation.

tex_poly.element_params = { "HUD_AOA","HUD_SIDESLIP" }
tex_poly.controllers = { {"move_up_down_using_parameter", 0 ,*calculation here*},{"move_left_right_using_parameter", 1 , *calculation here*} }

Edited by LJQCN101

Calculating FPM position can be a function of AOA and sideslip only. I'm actually displaying FPM using sideslip and AOA in a module, which is also the way to do I believe in DCS A10C, DCS F15C or DCS M2000 whichever has a FPM indicator. (Although they will build the function into the dll.) You just don't need the vertical velocity to be involved in the calculation.

tex_poly.element_params = { "HUD_AOA","HUD_SIDESLIP" }
tex_poly.controllers = { {"move_up_down_using_parameter", 0 ,*calculation here*},{"move_left_right_using_parameter", 1 , *calculation here*} }

Ahh I understand now

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

Flight vector tells you were you crash into the ground, vertical velocity tells you only when ;)

anyway its implemented and was one of the easyier things

I've been using this HUD since you released it and so far it's been great. I do have some suggestions though.

I moved the range down from "-0.27 + vertical_displacement" to "-0.37 + vertical_displacement" because when in a hover, depending on fuel amount and weapons weight, the horizon line would block the range. I moved the weapon max range down the same amount, which puts it nicely right above the shkval limits box.

Also I think the horizon line should be moved up slightly as it does not exactly correlate with the actual horizon.

AFMIQ6t.jpg

the horizonline is never exact because depending on your altitude, your view is slightly different. It was one of the first things i made so maybe its time to revisit it with my increased knowledge now.

I never realized that it might block the Range, will check it :)

i think i should not write at 2 am in the morning, what i wanted to say was that the Horizon line is never correct because i was to lazy to adjust for altitude :)

anyway, its been fixed, but it needs an additional parameter, so it will only work in the "full-release".

if you want to rise the line a bit so its at least closer to the horizon, search the HUD_NAV_COMMON_page.lua for

pitch_horizon_line.init_pos =

and preplace the stuff after "=" with

{0.0,(-pitch_K * math.rad(0.1)/GetScale())+0.0,0}