Time to upgrade GPU?

If you look down in my sig you'll see my system specs. Currently running a 970, but rumor has it a new round of GPU are coming out soon, which hopefully will drop the prices of existing cards now. So my question is would I see a huge increase running DCS World on a 2560x1080 (superwide) monitor if I would to go up to say a 1080?

I know RAM would also help sooner rather than later, and that will be upgraded with or without a new GPU. Any suggestions or would it just be a waste of money to upgrade the 970 at the moment?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Hello mate,

Yes, with a 1080 you will see a quite sustained increase in performance for your 2560x1080 resolution. Whenever you can, go to 16 Gb RAM, or 32 if you can afford and plan to play "heavy" missions with a lot of units. After that, the good news is that your PC will be strong enough for DCS and then "rest" for a couple of years without any change IMHO.

See my system specs in my signature: with 3/4 of the sliders on HIGH in the settings, a resolution of 2560x1440, I have a solid 70-90 fps in freeflights in Caucasus.

Wish you all the best with your upgrade :)

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Yep, I agree. As DCS gets better and better (and more complex) higher end pc’s to run it at reasonable graphical and fps levels, especially with vr, are becoming more and more necessary.

If you’re having issues with your current card or desperate to get a new one then go ahead. Personally at this stage I’d wait it out and see what the 1180 will bring in the next couple of months (reportedly the first card will be similar to the 1080ti). Plus you’ll still get half decent price for your 970 to offset the cost.

And yeah, the price of ram is so out of control these days, but if you can afford it, get at least 16gb

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Thanks for the info gents. One question I have Mr mojo, you said I'd still get a half decent price for the 970, is there a place that takes old cards? Or do you mean eBay?

Oh and went ahead and got 16 mb ram shipping now. That will have to do for a bit

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Yeah, eBay is usually where I go to sell my old stuff. Unless you can sell it to a mate or someone local on Facebook/gumtree maybe?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |