Another case of VR stutter / Ghosting

LithiumR

I have spent the past two days trying to figure out how to get rid of the ghosting / stutter. I have come to realize that it is not related to FPS at all. If I put all of my settings on low and a PD of 1 I can maintain 90 FPS easy. I also disabled any kind of ASW or reprojection and still the stutter / ghosting remains. I have figured out that a really good way to test this isn't to fly..... just get in an aircraft on the ground and eject... step back from the aircraft about 30 feet and then twist the rudder back and forth (spinning yourself) while looking at the plane. At least for me I see that the image does not go across the screen smoothly, it's like it jumps 2 or 3 feet at a time as the image goes by. The spinning itself is smooth, not stuttering. It's like the movement itself is smooth but the image only updates every 2 or 3 feet. This is running at a solid 90 fps with no reprojection... and turning reprojection on does nothing.

This kills any kind of aircraft or ground target identification because there are always 2 displayed on top of each other all the time. Dammit this is frustrating. ha ha ha. Man, I don't even care if I have terrible image quality as long as I can identify a damn plane so that I don't shoot down friendlies!!! Awww man. I am out of Ideas. So far I have....

Rolled back Nvidia drivers all the way to 35x.xx - no luck

Turned all settings to very minimum - no dice

Reprojection in all it's forms in every combination on/off - Nope

FXO and metashader folders deleted - Nothing

Clean install - Nothing

Every possible combination of graphic settings - no change

Vsync on/ off - no way

delete config - nope

try all maps - no difference

WMR set to 60hz - still image jumps but looks terrible... no dice

steamvr stable - nope

steamvr beta - nope

change ipd - no (I am desperate)

change pd all the way down to .9 - nope

change all developer settings in steamvr beta 1 at a time - nope

Try Steamvr PD from 50%-170% - same story

Razor Cortex to kill extra processes - negative ghost rider

Try pretty much every combination of settings in Nvidia control panel - not a chance

Pull my hair out and give up - nearly there

Edit More things tried:

Update bios - already latest version

Set low quality in Windows mixed reality portal - no change

IDK what else to do. Man this is annoying as hell. It's crazy too that I am running at 90 fps.... and zero drops below. I mean excellent fps and smooth movement.... but still the crazy lag / stutter / ghosting. I don't want to call it stutter really... nothing in the cockpit stutters ever. Only things passing at speed.

It would be really hard to go back to a monitor at this point. I'd rather just not play than go back to a monitor lol... For real. Any other ideas from anyone? I see it posted all over the forums and I've tried what other people have said works but nothing has changed for me. It also seems that for most people it has not been solved (at least that's how I read it looking through the forums).

Side note: I would be interested if there is anyway to get zoom working on an Odyssey. If I could ID a target before they got close in the stutter zone that would be really great! Thanks and have a great day!

ADD: Found that you can bind a zoom button for VR. It's under the options gear, controls, and UI in the drop down menu.

Edit ADD: I was running the mod for fps for a while but I really like multiplayer so..... IC kills it. It didn't help either though :( Is it just a few of us having this problem or is it everyone? If you are in a jet focusing on radar ect at 20k feet and never really see bandit's up close it's possible to not really notice. Too bad I like flying WW2 warbirds :-| Maybe I should just go back to 1.5.... are people still playing 1.5 multiplayer?

Added some photos. If you look at the first image... that's the problem I'm having. It's much worse when you're actually playing. This pic is pretty clear compared to most of the time.

ezgif-5-f6769e42fc.gif

[YOUTUBE]http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FiuTzznZxGc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

Image5.thumb.jpg.533a1e57405dc26fc1ced67cf45fab5b.jpg

Image4.thumb.jpg.37fec21e6c1f365d8b8367c71e777b33.jpg

Edited by ZoSo
added pictures
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

Have you tried reducing PD to 1 in game and using oculus tray tool to force higher PD, increase cup priority, disable usb lower saver and force SAW to 45. This goth rid of a few stutters for me.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Try playing with the ASW settings. Solved a shimmer issue that I was experiencing

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I am not sure why this works, but I too use Oculus Tray Tool to set my PD. Seems to work better for me for some reason.

Have you tried reducing PD to 1 in game and using oculus tray tool to force higher PD, increase cup priority, disable usb lower saver and force SAW to 45. This goth rid of a few stutters for me.
Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

I have got this the last few days of flying. The only change is I was forced to upgrade Oculus firmware. Prior to this update no issues what so ever. My only fix is to restart DCS, restart OTT and Oculus software.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Well, I have a Samsung Odyssey so I am under the impression that OTT won't do anything. That's why I've been using the settings in steamvr.

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

Well, I have a Samsung Odyssey so I am under the impression that OTT won't do anything. That's why I've been using the settings in steamvr.

That would be a correct assumption.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Did you try turning the settings to low in WMR? I found that leaving it in auto or on high had a performance hit for me. Might be worth a shot.

Yes. I'll add that to the list of things I've tried. I also checked my bios and I have the latest version already.

I get the same crap with my odyssey and Rift, it started a couple updates ago. Dcs is the only thing it can be at this point.

So you get it too.... and from your sig it looks like you have a dream machine. I don't think it's a hardware issue. Although I guess it could be. Idk. :cry:

Image8.thumb.jpg.8fbb53b31c844aa42fe0718cafb28c98.jpg

Edited by ZoSo

On the basis this was a VR tracking issue, I tried moving one of my Rift sensors to another USB port.

Generally seems to solve the problem, although hasn't done it for a few days now so not been able to retest.

Easy one to try - let us know if it works or not.

D

we both have the odyssey, and this has nothing to do with tracking as head can be completely still and a aircraft fly by and still get intermittent double vision on that aircraft. Atleast that is my case

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

we both have the odyssey, and this has nothing to do with tracking as head can be completely still and a aircraft fly by and still get intermittent double vision on that aircraft. Atleast that is my case

Same. Actually I did a little test just standing outside after ejecting. I can turn my head as fast as I want and look around me... zero blurs, zero double vision that I can tell. But as soon as I turn my pilot, blurs and double vision everywhere. Idk what that means really but, for sure it means my hardware is capable of loading the images easily.... because it does so when I turn my head.

One thing that has occurred to me through all these setting changes is that ASW in steam VR has no effect on frame rate or visuals which makes me wonder if it's even being applied. I don't have the steam version of the game... but the game does run in steamvr. Does anyone have any info on this? Will steam vr reprojection work on the non steam version of dcs?

Steam vr reprojection does nothing for Samsung odyssey. Its uses it's own asw with the wmr app inside steam vr. Y look u turn it on and off via text file which I think you already know

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have both steam and non steam dcs they both use same api for non oculus vr headsets. Wmr piggybacks off of steam vr in order to be utilized and results in CPU overhead and degraded performance compared to the Rift

Steam vr reprojection does nothing for Samsung odyssey. Its uses it's own asw with the wmr app inside steam vr. Y look u turn it on and off via text file which I think you already know

I did not know that. Where is the text file?

I think I found it. A file called defaultvr.settings in the steam folder.

{
   "driver_Holographic" : {
       "renderTargetScale" : 1.0
   },
   "driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
       // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
       //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
       // "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
       //     green      = off because application can render at full framerate
       //     light blue = on because application is cpu bound
       //     dark blue  = on because application is gpu bound
       //     red        = off because application running at less than half framerate
       // "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
       // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
       "thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false,
       "thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
       "thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
       "thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
   },
   "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
       "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
   }
}

Edited by ZoSo

Go to your steam install folder

Open steam apps folder

Open common folder

Open mixedrealityvrdriver folder

Open resources folder

Open settings folder

Open default settings

Towards the top in that document you will see

// motionreprojectionmode. : may day auto or motionvector

Delete. // in front of that line and then asw for wmr will be enabled save document and restart steam vr

Awesome lol holy crap. I hope it works or does something. I'm guessing not since you still have the same problem? Ima try anyway ha ha

it works but the sad story is even a 1080ti is not strong enough to maintain a minimum of 45fps, although it pretty much can with that shader mod. I still get double image crap with it on even with the new beta version with the improved motion vector.

most of the latency is in the VR services.

as sniper mentioned.

we don't need faster GPU we need hardware to do the job of the VR services.

OVR, SteamVR and WMR.

this is where all the CPU overhead and poor latency in the system is.

in the same way GPU started doing "physics"

we need a card to start doing VR..

right now its being done by software using the main CPU. and yes its slow.

its why you get double the frame rate if you run it in 2d. no VR service involved.

we just have to wait until a VR standard percolates out of the mix...

its not really a GPU or CPU problem. VR just needs a hardware home.

nvidia 3dvision gave way better 3d performance than VR because it was hardware based..

if only Nvidia did a VR headset but they got really burned by 3d vision.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 6 months later...
it works but the sad story is even a 1080ti is not strong enough to maintain a minimum of 45fps, although it pretty much can with that shader mod. I still get double image crap with it on even with the new beta version with the improved motion vector.

You need to fine tune your graphics settings. I have 1080 ti as well and I'm not getting any of this double vision / jittering issue.

I'm running a PD of 1.0, terrain textures to low, Civil traffic off, water to low or medium, visib range to high, heat blur off, shadows high, msaa x2, anisotropic filtering x8, terrain objects shadows to off, clutter/grass and trees visibility sliders to the minimum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]