Landing in the Bf 109K-4

fjacobsen

Can someone please enlighten me how to land the BF-109 without tilting left or right.

Approach and touchdown goes well.

But quickly during the rollout the aircraft suddently tilts left or right, dipping the wings into the ground.

Tailwheel is locked, Flaps fully down. Stick fully back once on the ground.

Track:

Bf109_Ldg.trk

FinnJ

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

How to land without tilting left or right

Raise the flaps after landing to help the breaking process and give you less lift on the wings

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Even tilting left and right on the ground after landing, I've still kept the plane in one piece, which is more than can be normally said for my Dora landings.

After my first four landings, I've haven't left a smoking crater yet. Feels like a miracle after the 190!

Thx for the help.....

What is the best reaction to lateral movements ?

Rudder input or differential braking ?

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

differential braking

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you start rolling to the right, feather the right brake to stop the roll, then feather the left brake to stop the right turn.

you end up constantly feathering both brakes almost randomly till you come to a stop...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well, until you get it, you get wet hands on landing, lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

basically what Hadwell says

sry....cant get the preview to work :mad: ...check out the link

Edited by Schnarre [Aggro]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

;2249803']basically what Hadwell says

sry....cant get the preview to work :mad: ...check out the link

you put it like this

[YOUTUBE"]H1JThbIWASw[/YOUTUBE as an example

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did manage to land on my second attempt!

Speed about 200-225 before flaring out. Throttle off.

Then I did a long flair due to to much elevator so I got up a bit and then I lost speed and did drop down on runway, 3 point landing, no bouncing or anything like Dora!

After touchdown I pulled the stick slowly back all way.

Did brake a bit to much, so my left wing dipped to ground, did press right brake and it leveled out nice and fine and then It stopped on right side on runway without damage!!

On approach I did some small correction of flight path, and on final it went straight as a bullet, almost.... Very little rudder or aileron corrections.

No rudder help was used!

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Seems I have improved :thumbup:...

Edit *** The place where I tell "Stick slightly aft and to the left" should have been: "Stick slightly aft and to the right".

FinnJ

Edited by fjacobsen

Thx for the help.....

What is the best reaction to lateral movements ?

Rudder input or differential braking ?

FinnJ

As Strix mentioned, as soon as you touch down, ease the stick fully back into your lap to keep pressure on the tailwheel and you will roll out smoothly and be able to brake to a stop. :thumbup:

As Strix mentioned, as soon as you touch down, ease the stick fully back into your lap to keep pressure on the tailwheel and you will roll out smoothly and be able to brake to a stop. :thumbup:

Thanks for Your feedback...

As You can se in my video above, I did that and succeeded.

What makes the difference for me is to keep power up slightly.

FinnJ

Here is a bit of advice...

Always use the same approach speed which means have a consistent power setting, flap usage, and gear extension time.

I will always pull power until 1000 RPM once at 300 km/her extend the gear. Right after that come full flaps and by then I am on the approach.

Don't be so anxious to land it and don't three-point land it. Fly it until it simply doesn't want to fly. Let the mains touch first and then let the tail fall. Tail lock should have been set prior and then just tap breaks.

Problem with 109 is narrow carriage which is why an Fw-190 three-point landing is not recommended because at too low a speed a narrow carriage is unstable.

.............;-)

Edited by TwilightZone

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

I have some advice: keep your altitude high and speed in between 250 and 300. Also put the propeller pitch on manual and keep the throttle at like 15% constantly to avoided torque. And try to touch down as softly as possible most of the runways in DCS are long enough for about a 15 second hover, and if not go around... (I know fighter pilots don't got time for that) but it will save you a lot more time then having to repair.

Hope that helps -SilentGun

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

I can't really believe the real thing was so difficult to land :-/

I can't also accept the jump it gives at takeoff, even at full forward trim....

Setting full nose heavy trim, and manual prop pitch at 12:00, even with a 250Kg bomb, at takeoff we're forced to use a good deal of forward stick???? Is this realistic?

I have no source of info though, just plain good sense, and the fact that this was actually the most advanced of all of the Bf109s produced for the Luftwaffe, so, I assume it was designed to integrate all lessons learned from previous models. It certainly feels great inflight ( less the fact that there is too much right roll due to the aileron trim tab settings IMO...) though...

Way too difficult that's how I find it.... On landing, it also get's out of control way too easily... Could it be easier on a grass strip?

I've seen a few videos of modern 109s landing, even bouncing, and certainly not getting out of control so easily....

Then, there's that easy way of breaking your wings, when you pull a little harder... This is particularly irritating for me :-/ There being no G meter I can't even say they're braking way too soon... But, they certainly break way before the pilot blacks-out... Might be due to the fact that there is no perception of controls loosing effectiveness with speed / Gs ( ? ).

Also, way too much wobbling at low speeds after takeoff - common to all prop aircraft in DCS ( overdone gyroscopic effects?... )

It's a beta, and very good for a beta model, but let's hope it get's some fine tuning...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I can't really believe the real thing was so difficult to land :-/

I can't also accept the jump it gives at takeoff, even at full forward trim....

I have no source of info though, just plain good sense, and the fact that this was actually the most advanced of all of the Bf109s produced for the Luftwaffe, so, I assume it was designed to integrate all lessons learned from previous models.

Way too difficult that's how I find it.

Again, way too much wobbling at low speeds after takeoff - common to all prop aircraft in DCS ( overdone gyroscopic effects?... )

Try landing in a open field, its less demanding and I think more of how it was back then with those round fields

Try landing in a open field, its less demanding and I think more of how it was back then with those round fields

This...

..and the fact that in the sim we don´t feel the lateral movements or pitching moments, but simply relies on visual and audible inputs. The visual side even via tunnelvision regardless of Your monitor size.

So yes- I think it´s harder in the sim as in reallife, but without being unrealistic.

FinnJ