Big problems with landing

jfri

All my landings fails. I encounter these problems

It's difficult to control the speed in the pattern. I either go to fast or to slow. If to fast and I try to correct that I end up to slow and if to slow the other way around. Actually during the landing tutorial I was told that speed was good just to soon discover that I crashed because I was going to slow.

During touch down I crash since the the plane tilt over forward in spite of holding back the stick.

It's difficult to control the speed in the pattern. I either go to fast or to slow. If to fast and I try to correct that I end up to slow and if to slow the other way around. Actually during the landing tutorial I was told that speed was good just to soon discover that I crashed because I was going to slow.

During touch down I crash since the the plane tilt over forward in spite of holding back the stick.

How are you correcting speed ?? speed should be between 100-130 mph. touch down about 80mph.

And you control speed with rate of descend, with thorrottle you control height

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Probably You are bouncing...

Catch the correct speed ad aim to a vertical speed under 3 mts... Memorize Your sweet point for a 3 point landing and try to keep it as soon as You reach a 30 feet or under altitude and it should work..

If it could be helpful here are my tecnique.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Best way is to hold plane very close to grond while slowing down and just wait till it just fall down

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

How are you correcting speed ?? speed should be between 100-130 mph. touch down about 80mph.

And you control speed with rate of descend, with thorrottle you control height

With throttle since I was supposed to hold altitude. I know what the speed should be and have problems reaching. This is also true in all phases of the landing pattern. For example when entering the pattern I go way to fast. At downwind I am still to fast. If I reach correct speed lowering the gear makes me to slow.

• ED Team

Hi

It can take a lot of practice, if I dont fly the spit for a while it takes me a few goes to get it right again.

Use RCtrl + Enter to check your controls while flying, you will be able to check if your brake is depressed.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Probably You are bouncing...

Catch the correct speed ad aim to a vertical speed under 3 mts... Memorize Your sweet point for a 3 point landing and try to keep it as soon as You reach a 30 feet or under altitude and it should work..

If it could be helpful here are my tecnique.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

I got no impression of bouncing and I actually touches down and then roles some seconds on the runway stick fully back. Then suddenly tip over to the front.

And in your video I think I see a slight bounce during landing.

Are you sure your brakes axis aren't inverted key binding options?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I see you are also having problems with the 109 . That and the spit (and I-16) are probably the most difficult to fly fixed-wing aircraft in DCS in terms of ground handling . Two thoughts occur . One is to practice with the TF-51 . The wide-stance gear makes ground handling easier ., easing the transition into the narrow canted gear of the other two . If you still have problems with the big engine , consider the Yak-52 as a primary trainer . The smaller engine will ease your transition to props , while still teaching you about torque and p-factor , and the tricycle gear is much better in terms of ground handling .

WW2 pilots did not jump straight into 109s and spits . They went from primary to advanced trainers and then to the big engines . You could do the same with a Yak-TF51-spit/109 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I see you are also having problems with the 109 . That and the spit (and I-16) are probably the most difficult to fly fixed-wing aircraft in DCS in terms of ground handling . Two thoughts occur . One is to practice with the TF-51 . The wide-stance gear makes ground handling easier ., easing the transition into the narrow canted gear of the other two . If you still have problems with the big engine , consider the Yak-52 as a primary trainer . The smaller engine will ease your transition to props , while still teaching you about torque and p-factor , and the tricycle gear is much better in terms of ground handling .

WW2 pilots did not jump straight into 109s and spits . They went from primary to advanced trainers and then to the big engines . You could do the same with a Yak-TF51-spit/109 .

I have already used the Mustang a lot. I have paid for the Spitfire and 109 and want to use them. I doubt that the Yak 52 would help me with landing the Spitfire or taking of in the 109.

Another thing I have noticed. It is much easier to fly the A2A Spitfire in FSX compared to DCS

Yeah , FSX is famous for its flight models;) How did the Mustang go ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hi

It can take a lot of practice, if I dont fly the spit for a while it takes me a few goes to get it right again.

Use RCtrl + Enter to check your controls while flying, you will be able to check if your brake is depressed.

If I'm out of the cockpit for a bit, I tend to keep the propeller manufacturers in business.

There are videos out there, even real piloting videos, which have helped me master the landing (master landing a spit? yeah right!!) Unfortunately i cant find any to share with you but there are many on youtube. Very tricky to nail down but so rewarding when you finally do

Are you sure your brakes axis aren't inverted key binding options?

Yeap tiping over nose i can only thing about brakes :) you cant do it w/o brakes

Throttle should be reduced from 3 boost to idle as you cross the runway threshold, gentle flair adopting 3-point touchdown and short fast rudder adjustments to keep it straight as you roll to a stop, do not touch the brakes until you are all but stopped (at taxi speed basically).

Anything more than a snap of rudder in either direction will send you wing-over and careering around on the grass or worse...

Yeah , FSX is famous for its flight models;) How did the Mustang go ?

It was a while ago since I used it. But I remember being able to do all the tasks in the tutorials for the paid version. For the free version I actually think I had problem with the landing. When firing it up yesterday I was able to take of without problems after getting controls correctly set.

Yeap tiping over nose i can only thing about brakes :) you cant do it w/o brakes

Yes I actually discovered a brake problem. I engage the brakes with a lever on my Hotas joystick which makes them go fully on. But showing the controls during flight I could see that my brakes were not fully of in spite of the brake lever not being pressed. Pressing and releasing the lever fully released the brakes. So this time I didn't tilt over but other things made it difficult. I was not able to stay on the runway but at least I didn't crash the plane.

Pressing and releasing the lever fully released the brakes.
I think that probably means a second control is assigned to brakes. Check your only brake control is that button you use, either in buttons and axis assignments.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I think that probably means a second control is assigned to brakes. Check your only brake control is that button you use, either in buttons and axis assignments.

S!

Yes there can also be an analog assignment to the brakes. I had that value assigned to lever on my CH throttle quadrant. But that lever was set to max and during my flight the brakes was set to about 25 %.

Try to trend on slow, I find its easier to accelerate if you are too slow, than to slow down if you are too fast.

Also dont get too low too early, keep some altitude so you can you can use your vertical rate to help modulate your speed.

I move my camera view upwards all the way so I can see over the nose better. I do this for takeoff and landing.

I use my brakes, but its just bound to a button. I just tap it very lightly on landing.

Its really easy to tip forward, I usually do it when I am taxiing.

good luck

X52

Yes there can also be an analog assignment to the brakes. I had that value assigned to lever on my CH throttle quadrant. But that lever was set to max and during my flight the brakes was set to about 25 %.
Yeah, no, several assignments to the same control use to cause troubles (though they can work together, the problems are caused by you), let alone one being a button and the other axis. Pic one or the other and have a go to check for problems or the lack of.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice