New sounds discussion

Dear all, DСS should not be limited to just my sounds. Everyone has different tastes. Some people like the sound of YouTube. Some people like over-compressed sounds. Some people like something else ... Please use sound and other mods if you like them.

It's ok. The pilot will hear the other planes in the cockpit, If the engine is not at maximum. Do you hear the other planes with engine at maximum in DCS?

That depends on the aircraft, also remember pilot has a headset on which cancels out a lot of noise. Even on the ground the other aircraft shouldn't be heard over one another. I was inside a lancaster during an engine run, once more than one engine is running you don't get an equal increase in sound.

Similar thing with the aircraft in dcs, when joining up or flying along side another aircraft I could hear the other plane just as clear as mine. Perhaps it could be muffled a bit?

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
Even on the ground the other aircraft shouldn't be heard over one another.

Sorry, but can't agree with that. I have the audio records from spitfire, mustang, p47 cockpit during the air show. While they warmed up the engine on the ground, other planes flew over them. And they were very well heard with a closed canopy.

But if you have any of your own references with a good audio recorder - please let me listen to them. Perhaps something in a particular airplane can be tuned.

Edited by btd

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Ok i see what you mean, whilst they are flying at full power and you are on the ground idle yes you can hear, but what about when at the same power? not really

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Ok, we'll re-check this problem in the air with the same power.

Hello again btd.

First I would like to say that I was flying P-51 and Spit after new update and wanna thank you for doing new sounds.

I'm saying that because I love warbirds and their sounds :)

I think that here we have extremely educated and involved people comparing to "other gamers". Most of as are engineers, programers, graphic designers, real pilots, my squad mate 303_Kermit is a airplanes engineer etc. In most cases we know what we talking about but if no, we are here not to "shine" but to lern something new.

So I and most of pilots here would like to know how many samples of RPM did you recorded in cockpit?

How many outside?

Did you recorded samples for each RPM from angle ( at least 3- front, side-90deg and back) outside each plane?

Did you recorded them on grass or concrete?

Did you recorded them from distance (at least 20m) for each RPM?

Did you recorded sample inside cockpit for each RPM with mic close to canopy?

Did you recorded cockpit samples in the air for each possible RPM?

Did you recorded sound in the air ( and here most importand and hard part) with out engine for straight flying, skidding, diving and pulling up?

All of these samples r very important for a base to making the best sounds for Merlin.

Im guesing that you know that but my question is for getting proper knowledge to rest of people here how making the best sound komplex is.

Now I would like to also mention that I'm very positive suprised that we can see the answers from Dev team :)

So I'm waiting for them.

Regards HOLY.

• ED Team

here you need to understand that we can’t buy a plane and do what we want with it. The pilot is doing his job. And we can run around and record something. We can ask him to record something, but he may refuse. He has his own program and for us he is not obliged to change it.

Best regards,

Hello again btd.

First I would like to say that I was flying P-51 and Spit after new update and wanna thank you for doing new sounds.

I'm saying that because I love warbirds and their sounds :)

I think that here we have extremely educated and involved people comparing to "other gamers". Most of as are engineers, programers, graphic designers, real pilots, my squad mate 303_Kermit is a airplanes engineer etc. In most cases we know what we talking about but if no, we are here not to "shine" but to lern something new.

So I and most of pilots here would like to know how many samples of RPM did you recorded in cockpit?

How many outside?

Did you recorded samples for each RPM from angle ( at least 3- front, side-90deg and back) outside each plane?

Did you recorded them on grass or concrete?

Did you recorded them from distance (at least 20m) for each RPM?

Did you recorded sample inside cockpit for each RPM with mic close to canopy?

Did you recorded cockpit samples in the air for each possible RPM?

Did you recorded sound in the air ( and here most importand and hard part) with out engine for straight flying, skidding, diving and pulling up?

All of these samples r very important for a base to making the best sounds for Merlin.

Im guesing that you know that but my question is for getting proper knowledge to rest of people here how making the best sound komplex is.

Now I would like to also mention that I'm very positive suprised that we can see the answers from Dev team :)

So I'm waiting for them.

Regards HOLY.

what do you mean "for each RPM" does it go like that 1000rpm 1001rpm 1002rpm...... up to 3250rpm that would be hard even when ED would own p-51 :)

I think you are asking too much

But if you could get a chance to record something like this i think ED would buy it from you.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

here you need to understand that we can’t buy a plane and do what we want with it. The pilot is doing his job. And we can run around and record something. We can ask him to record something, but he may refuse. He has his own program and for us he is not obliged to change it.

Correct me if I;m wrong but Nick Grey (Eagle Dynamics co funder) is also an owner of Fighter Collection ? :music_whistling:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3444013&postcount=15

"we can’t buy a plane and do what we want with it" - looks like you owned them all :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

• ED Team
Ok i see what you mean, whilst they are flying at full power and you are on the ground idle yes you can hear, but what about when at the same power? not really

We re-checked the problem.

And also we asked the real pilot as it should be. He replied that low propeller frequencies would be heard if flying side by side. That's what we have now. Although, I can agree with you that it would be possible to make them a little quieter. But I can’t do this only for such a situation. I can reduce all sounds that fall through the canopy into the cockpit. But I listened to how now you can hear the planes flying over me, if I am sitting in the cockpit at idle, and also tried to throw a bomb near the plane. And I must say that I even wanted to raise the volume level of external sounds, and not lower it.

In general, as a result, we decided to leave the volume level of external sounds as is. This is also a solution :)

Best regards,

• ED Team
Correct me if I;m wrong but Nick Grey (Eagle Dynamics co funder) is also an owner of Fighter Collection ? :music_whistling:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3444013&postcount=15

"we can’t buy a plane and do what we want with it" - looks like you owned them all :D

there are about 3 000 km between us and TFC. And, again, the pilot always has its own program. And a huge responsibility. When he can and wants, he helps. But he is not obliged.

By the way, not every airplane can record "All RPMs" on the ground :) up to 2000 maximum and rarely anyone can afford it. More often there are idle and 1000+

Edited by btd

Best regards,

But he is not obliged.

Don't get me wrong but If he is an employee of of Nick Grey he is more then obligated to cooperate with other team members...(does not matter these are two different company, Nick owns both of them)

3000nm/km ? Is't this a business which the company make money of ?

Just my 5 cents. :)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

• ED Team
Ok, we'll re-check this problem in the air with the same power.

We have checked it. The same power gives feel of prop growling of the other plane. Like in RL.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

what do you mean "for each RPM" does it go like that 1000rpm 1001rpm 1002rpm...... up to 3250rpm that would be hard even when ED would own p-51 :)

I think you are asking too much

But if you could get a chance to record something like this i think ED would buy it from you.

Dear Grafspee.

Each RPM means - main RPM representative for each of state of running engine.

We need record in case of P-51 AT LEAST 6 RPM states-bands for good representation (sound immersion) of Merlin Engine.

- 800RPM

- 1000RPM

- 2000RPM

- 2400RPM

- 2700RPM

- 3000RPM

Of course like I mention before, the same outside the plane and many, many more for the rest of another sounds like: pumps, flaps, gear, switches etc

The best will be when I show it on example.

Watch what sound engineer is doing

Edited by 303_HOLY

• ED Team
Dear Grafspee.

Each RPM means - main RPM representative for each of state of running engine.

We need record in case of P-51 AT LEAST 6 RPM states-bands for good representation (sound immersion) of Merlin Engine.

- 800RPM

- 1000RPM

- 2000RPM

- 2400RPM

- 2700RPM

- 3000RPM

Of course like I mention before, the same outside the plane and many, many more for the rest of another sounds like: pumps, flaps, gear, switches etc

The best will be when I show it on example.

Watch what sound engineer is doing

Why not

and of course 3010

And for ANY of these rpm we must have samples for -40, -30, -20.....+10,+20, +30... +Nmax bhp

Then, for any of these combinations of rpm and bhp (MP) we must have samples for rich and weak mixture.

Only when we have it, we can get real Merlin sound, and if we have not just one of them, the Merlin sound is not real. So, we will make a mod from Youtube sounds.

And, by the way, the video shows very routine session, I performed in 2009 for the Mustang.

So, the multi-azimuth sounding was in DCS sound engine long time before. Because it's not an art to record, it's an art to arrange and play it in the sim.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

there are about 3 000 km between us and TFC. And, again, the pilot always has its own program. And a huge responsibility. When he can and wants, he helps. But he is not obliged.

By the way, not every airplane can record "All RPMs" on the ground :) up to 2000 maximum and rarely anyone can afford it. More often there are idle and 1000+

Thank you for quick reply btd.

Please do your job the best as you can for sake of goood sound for all community here.

Regards HOLY.

Why not

and of course 3010

And for ANY of these rpm we must have samples for -40, -30, -20.....+10,+20, +30... +Nmax bhp

Then, for any of these combinations of rpm and bhp (MP) we must have samples for rich and weak mixture.

Only when we have it, we can get real Merlin sound, and if we have not just one of them, the Merlin sound is not real. So, we will make a mod from Youtube sounds.

And, by the way, the video shows very routine session, I performed in 2009 for the Mustang.

So, the multi-azimuth sounding was in DCS sound engine long time before. Because it's not an art to record, it's an art to arrange and play it in the sim.

I think it would be just easier to program engine/prop sound generator, it would need precise 3d engine model and prop model and it would generate sound based on combustion simulation heh :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I would like to see how you record the second part of your list :megalol:
Tie the tail down. Limit the periods of these settings to 10 seconds tops, allow for cooldowns in between these high RPM/throttle sessions. At least that's what I'd do
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tie the tail down. Limit the periods of these settings to 10 seconds tops, allow for cooldowns in between these high RPM/throttle sessions. At least that's what I'd do

Issue is owners don’t want multimillion dollar war trophy aircraft running that high, which sucks.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

this guy had better idea

lSS5U3gZ6e4

this guy had better idea

lSS5U3gZ6e4

Lol honestly I wouldn't want to be the guy to record the frontal sound samples for that. Maybe if I had a really long stick and superglued the recorder on the end

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Recording the sound at e.g. 3000 rpm on ground wouldn't be very realistic anyway for the required in-flight-sound, since the propeller blade angle will be much lower, which results in noticeable different sound than with the aircraft in flight.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070