Cougar replacement gimbal

debolestis

Sounds like a faulty ground imo. It's normal for the 'tree' to light up when you disconnect the grip. Your miniDIN connection is suspect somewhere in the chain. Alternatively, if you've ever opened up the grip, most likely you pinched a wire somewhere, it's really easy to do with Cougar grips.

Thanks for the advice - will investigate the cable more carefully. I haven't opened the grip previously - I imagine that should be fine. Will let you know how I go.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I found a fault in one of the cable connectors - all fixed and buttons on grip are working again!

BUT, I'm having some serious trouble with the Y axis - I can't get any positive (forward) response from the MagRez sensors - in Foxy Analyser I can't move the target forward of the central position. Pulling back works fine. If I try a manual calibration, it says that the "maximum position is less than the defined centre position for the Y axis." I have tried rotating the annular magnet, and can achieve a change in the Y Axis Raw value, but pushing the stick forward (from a mid range raw value) results in a DECREASE in the Y axis value.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks, Debolestis - this was at least part of the problem.

I've tightened everything and can now successfully calibrate the whole lot.

Have had a quick play with it and my initial observations is that this is a good mod - has taken me a while to install and set up, however this sort of mod is pretty new to me - the assistance along the way from Debolestis and Sokol1_br has been plentiful, rapid and much appreciated.

I'll follow up with a more in depth review in a short while. Thanks all for your assistance.

• 5 months later...

Hi. I still need to check, I have found this wiring diagram:

wiring1.jpg

Both pots (sensors) are shown on the bottom and they have orange, red and brown wires. RED wires are signal wires. now we have to identify brown and orange. According to wiring inside grip, brown is +5V but it doesn't have to be the case. Do you have multi-meter, you can measure it in a few seconds. You need to check which one of the pins (1 or 3) is connected directly to the ground. Ground is on outside of male USB connector.

EiBZLAy.jpg

I have this drawing from GVL224 sensor. there are 3 connector pins on the left. Pins are out, - and +. - is ground, + is +5V and out is for signal.

You can probably use wires from Cougar pot, since they have instaled connectors. solder the wires to the sensor.

Last step is magnet calibration. Use Diview or any other calibration software and rotate the magnet until you see that axis is in center. If axis is inverted you can flip the magnet and recalibrate.

Let me know if you have problems. Please be extra careful with +5V and ground wires, you shouldn't mess this up, I don't know what will happen in case of reverse polarity.

(re: Message #'s 1 - 6)

Where you getting your parts from?

When I retired from the machine shop trade, I bought myself a basic little cellar machine shop of lathe/mill combo and a separate small vertical milling machine so I could fix stuff. Also have horizontal cut-off saw, drill press, welders, oxy/acetylene torch, various pedestal grinders, etc. and compressed air supply system.

Nylon and aluminum are easy to machine but stainless steels and tool steels are easy enough to work with, too. Any serious tool steel hardening/tempering I'd job out to a heat treating vendor.

I am not interesting on a side business, just letting you guys know it ain't that hard to get set up.

Where you getting your parts for this rebuild job you are doing??

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My brother is an electronics guru that works for US Navy in Washington State and like me, is former Navy.

Gonna' run this thread by him. He could definitely help you, but he is funny about getting into the hobby-end stuff.

He has talked to me about 3D-Printing, though I never much considered it. I have my shop. I rarely bother with a formal drawing. I take the part, measure up what i need, make a sketch and make it.

3D printing does sound intriguing. I'm gonna' look into it.

The Navy uses the technology and has a dedicated lab for it there.

Thanks for putting this thread up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I think I am going to do this mod as my Stock Gimbals sucks bad.. I was looking through the part list and I believe I can get all the parts needed I just need to get some money for it..

Now looking at the parts list the Sensors I ooked at the link but did not see the sensors listed it seems that was his name, do I just mention to the guy who sells the sensors they are for Debolostis mod??

I will see if I can get all the bolts and nuts I need at the hardware store.. I am also going to jot down the parts list and see what I can get now..

Will this mod last since it is 3D Printed??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hi Guys,

I think I am going to do this mod as my Stock Gimbals sucks bad.. I was looking through the part list and I believe I can get all the parts needed I just need to get some money for it..

Now looking at the parts list the Sensors I ooked at the link but did not see the sensors listed it seems that was his name, do I just mention to the guy who sells the sensors they are for Debolostis mod??

I will see if I can get all the bolts and nuts I need at the hardware store.. I am also going to jot down the parts list and see what I can get now..

Will this mod last since it is 3D Printed??

You need to contact GVL224. He can provide sensors and magnets. Tell him to set them up for +/- 20 degrees.

You'll also need 4 springs. I have them, send me a PM if you are interested.

For now gimbals proved to be reliable. I didn't have any issues so far.

• 1 month later...

Hi Debolestis !

Thank you for your fantastic work.

I'm looking at doing that modification to the cougar I have.

A couple of questions though :

- Are you happy with the gimbal still ? (quality of the plastic / how does it age with the springs on it ?)

- Is it a real upgrade compared to the horrible original gimbal ? (the center play / crossover is just absolutely horrible)

- Is it compatible with the original electronic board ? (Your initial post says so I believe, but the picture disappeared)

- Do you still have springs for this gimbal I could buy from you ?

That's pretty much it. Looking forward to your answer :)

Flow.

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

Those who have purchased ALL these parts, what did it cost you please? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

thats not bad, thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hi Debolestis !

Thank you for your fantastic work.

I'm looking at doing that modification to the cougar I have.

A couple of questions though :

- Are you happy with the gimbal still ? (quality of the plastic / how does it age with the springs on it ?)

- Is it a real upgrade compared to the horrible original gimbal ? (the center play / crossover is just absolutely horrible)

- Is it compatible with the original electronic board ? (Your initial post says so I believe, but the picture disappeared)

- Do you still have springs for this gimbal I could buy from you ?

That's pretty much it. Looking forward to your answer :)

Flow.

I apologize that I didn't reply sooner, but I am on vacation and a wasn't near computer.

- I am happy with the gimbal, plastic proved to be durable. Once I broke a spring, maybe I should have grease them a little for durability. I recommend using stainless screws, but that I have mentioned in first post.

- It is and upgrade for sure. It is a bit light in the center so I added a little dead zone

- It is compatible with original electronics if you use GVL 224 sensors and magnets. If you buy them from him mention to set them for +/- 20 degrees.

- I have springs, price is 10 Euros per set of 4. They are made of stainless steel.

Just send me a message if you have any questions.

• 4 months later...

It looks like too much for me to do….. don't know if I just should spend some more money on a new HOTAS :( damn…

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally had time to install your kit and it is working fine!!

The springs were a bugger to install, but several tries later, and finding them across the room, it was done. Is there any way to tighten up the centering?

It is a little looser than I like, but really love the design. Thanks!pilotfly.gif

• 3 months later...
Can this 3d printed gimbal handle a tube extension? Is it rigid enough for greater forces applied by longer tube?

Hi! I wouldn't recommend that, that gimbal mechanism is very light at the center, and wasn't really made for extensions.