Dogfighting ?

Extranajero

I've spent most of my time with the F-14 so far trying to learn how to land it on a carrier, with a few breaks to shoot long range missiles at AI in multiplayer, all of which missed.

Now I'm exploring dogfighting, using guns VS AI Skyhawk

Or rather I'm going - turn, turn, turn, wings rock violently, depart, crash - with a few variations where the Skyhawk shot me down and a victorious end to one encounter where the Skyhawk ran out of fuel and crashed. So, he's still dead isn't he ? :D

So what's a good gameplan for dogfighting dissimilar aircraft using this beast ? it handles like a rocket propelled dinosaur with a belly full of concrete and trying to turn obviously isn't the best strategy...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Finesse, bucket loads of it. This isn’t a “slap the stick around” fighter, be smooth. Find the best turn rate for different weights and altitudes, use the strengths of the 14 against whatever you are engaging. There will be pitfalls, learn to recognise them, and adjust your flying style to suit.

Cautious aggressiveness. It’s taken a lot of practice, but now I can 75% of the time gain and keep the upper hand against most aircraft, but the later ones, like SU-27, MiG-29, MiG-31, etc, tend to whip me more than I spank them.

Depending on your foe - gameplan, finesse, calm head, and an exit strategy.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

The cat is no viper but It can hold its own vs anything if flown well.

The cat loves 300-325kts for best turns - little slower than other jets.

If you are getting bad buffet you are exceeding the best AoA for whatever weight / altitude / speed you are. 15-17 units AOA is where you max sustained turn is. Don’t pull more unless you will die or can get guns on. If you do you turn that massive lifting body into one huge air take.

Try starting level with no bad guys- light the burners and start a flat turn watching your AoA gauge. Peg it at 15-17 - feel that light buffet? Memorize what it sounds like. In a dogfight u can’t look at the gauge you will have to feel / hear it.

Now vs older stuff - 21,A4, F5 etc. use the vertical.

I like to wait for them to load up on G to match my turn and then take it upstairs. They cannot follow you up and you get all that extra turning room to come down behind em.

Vs newer stuff I tend to take em one circles and use the cats awesome turning radius - just fly your best jet and you can get your guns on!!

Hope this helps

Brilliant :) now I've got something to work on :)

If you are in a dogfight consider dropping your tanks

I'd throw jester out if it would help :D

Is the is skyhawk a mod or have I been dense and not noticed it.

It's absolutely bloody marvellous - not quite finished yet, but very flyable right now.

Is the is skyhawk a mod or have I been dense and not noticed it.

Also this short video is clutch I wish I could find full lectures like this.

Look up "Fighter combat: tactics and maneuvering" by Michael Shaw. It's pretty much the bible of ACM.

Look up "Fighter combat: tactics and maneuvering" by Michael Shaw. It's pretty much the bible of ACM.

I've got a copy of it ;)

I know what to do, I'm just having trouble doing it in the Tomcat without departing.

Just remember the Tomcat will do what you tell it to, right up until the point where it won’t and at that point you are in trouble. I generally go for a one circle fight either vertical of going fast (with the aim of getting to corner speed without bleeding too much energy) or horizontal if close to corner speed at the merge. She fights well, just don’t fly her like a hornet.