Is is better/fun

SPS48A

I currently have much more fun in the Hornet than in the Viper. I bought the Viper on day one and haven't flown it for more than 3h so far, because it's incredible frustrating to not be able to do some very basic stuff (e.g. creating new waypoints, Selective Jettison, Cursor Zero, switch missiles through hotas command, ...).

Once the Viper is at the same level as the Hornet development wise, I guess I will like them both equally. The F-16 has the hotroad stuff as well as more capable HOTAS going for it, while the Hornet has carrier ops and a nicer cockpit and some different weapons than the F-16.

I wish I will once be able to say that, waiting for the only combat-ready jet my country has - the Tornado.

Uhm, the Eurofighter is just as Combat Ready as the Tornado...

I live in Baden Württemberg, not to far away from Rheinland Pfalz and recently there are a lot of F16 doing their training in my area. Guess they are from Spangdahlem.

Indeed and one of those F-16s crashed last months near Trier.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have both.

in my opinion Hornet.

Hornet does ever so slightly better in BVR. as it has a slightly better radar IRL, can't really tell if it's better in game though, but the hornet can carry way more in air to air ordinance. both in BVR and WVR.

Hornet is actually slighly faster with a full bomb load then the F-16. although the F-16 has better acceleration, but these advantages are very minor for both planes. remember we have the 404 GE402 engined hornet not the 404 GE400 engined hornet (the fast hornet in game) so it's performace to the F-16 block 50 is closer then most people realize

F-16 has to energy fight in a dogfight to come out on top which is a harder skill to master then turn and burning that the Hornet does easily, but that only really matters in a gun fight. With the aim 9x the hornet overides it's G limiter, pulls crazy AoA and locks on the Viper first.

Viper has great front visibility, but only ok rear visibility.

hornet has good front visibility and good rear visability

Viper can't do carrier ops, can't carry Harpoons.

basically if you like the F-16, get the F-16, but if want the most useful of the 2 the hornet comes out on top

Edited by CrazyGman

My opinion,

Neither the Viper, neither the Hornet: choose the Fighting Falcon instead.

Ok, just kidding - but for me that name always suited better the plane, and was its initial one.

I do not have the DCS F-16 yet.

However these 2 aircraft are very close to each other in terms of mission / role (i.e. we are not comparing fighters with interceptors, but 2 multi-role fighters).

So I guess the choice comes down to subjective aspects, like cockpit / avionics ergonomics; aesthetics; several performance differences; etc. which in the end is: owner preference.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Neither the Viper, neither the Hornet: choose the Fighting Falcon instead.

Ok, just kidding - but for me that name always suited better the plane, and is its official one.

Corrected this for you ;)

But I agree, I'm also more used to calling it the Falcon, rather than the Viper.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have both.

in my opinion Hornet.

Hornet does ever so slightly better in BVR. as it has a slightly better radar IRL, can't really tell if it's better in game though, but the hornet can carry way more in air to air ordinance. both in BVR and WVR.

Hornet is actually slighly faster with a full bomb load then the F-16. although the F-16 has better acceleration, but these advantages are very minor for both planes. remember we have the 404 engined hornet not the 402 engined hornet (the fast hornet in game) so it's performace to the F-16 block 50 is closer then most people realize

F-16 has to energy fight in a dogfight to come out on top which is a harder skill to master then turn and burning that the Hornet does easily, but that only really matters in a gun fight. With the aim 9x the hornet overides it's G limiter, pulls crazy AoA and locks on the Viper first.

Viper has great front visibility, but terrible rear visibility.

hornet has good front visibility anfd good rear visability

Viper can't do carrier ops, can't carry Harpoons.

basically if you like the F-16, get the F-16, but if want the most useful of the 2 the hornet comes out on top

Very convincing. You have me thinking about staying with the Hornet and not buying the Viper.

Damn! Now i'll have to change my avatar. :)

Buzz

Very convincing. You have me thinking about staying with the Hornet and not buying the Viper.

Damn! Now i'll have to change my avatar. :)

Why not both?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I like to specialize and fly one plane good instead of many not so good. Two more reasons.

I can always fly the Viper in the other sim.

I save $80. Important when you live on an SS check.

Alright, fair enough :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hornet here in DCS, Viper in the other sim.

I have the DCS Viper but it's too frustrating to fly right now, I'll check it out once it's feature complete.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I prefer the Hornet. It has a more diverse set and mission set, better avionics (minus the HOTAS), better sensors, an extra display. And personally, it controls better for me than the Viper does, although that might have to do with the different grip placement (I use a center mounted Hornet grip with an extension for the F-18 and a normal Warthog grip as a side stick for the F-16).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I'm surprised so many likes the feeling of the Hornet better then the Viper, I'm the other way around. I get a much better feel of what is happening in the Viper, and it acts more like I expect it to do, better feedback from engine as well. So, for the flying itself I definitely prefer the Viper.

But when it comes to weapons the Hornet have the upper hand with the exception that it lacks the CBU-97 (that is awesome!), at least so far. Once the Falcon gets the HARM and JDAM I will probably not fly the Hornet as much (now I fly them approx 50/50).

Hornet here in DCS, Viper in the other sim.

I have the DCS Viper but it's too frustrating to fly right now, I'll check it out once it's feature complete.

I'm getting closer and closer to this attitude. May have to move to the Hornet in my squadron as a result.

Evan "Preacher" Weeks - Dad. Programmer. Virtual Fighter Pilot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]