X-axis going wild

funkyfranky

You have any idea what is causing this issue?

Might be a zillion reasons based on a gozillion variables, from simply oxidized contact to computer specific something. That's why when it comes to really plucking the bug out we need a ton of input from the user, including a bunch of screenshots, etc., etc.

Great that it works for now, let's see what future shows. Keep me updated, but do get reg'd at our home forum. We never do tech support on external platforms.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

I have 2 original gunfighters and they both exhibit this wild axis behaviour. The unplug fix appears to work fr a while but then it starts up again.

Anyone with a MK2 seeing the same problem ?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Thanks for your speedy reply :thumbup:

Might be a zillion reasons based on a gozillion variables, from simply oxidized contact to computer specific something.

Yeah, I figure that such a failure is not so easy to nail down explicitly. However, as you can see by the sheer number of people having the same issue, it does not seem to be uncommon. That's why I was hoping you meanwhile got an idea as to why this happens in the first place.

I do realize that there might be a lot of different reasons, but something like oxidation seems very unlikely. Personally, I do no live in a very corrosive environment (luckily). Also the assumption that it is system specific does not seem logical to me. Why should it work perfectly on a system for a long time an all of a sudden start to fail?

That's why when it comes to really plucking the bug out we need a ton of input from the user, including a bunch of screenshots, etc., etc.

Again, seems like this failure is not uncommon and affects quite a few people. What exactly to you need from us to help you to remedy the situation?

Frankly, for now this appears to me like a design flaw - or can you rule that out completely?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

can you rule that out completely?

In modern electronics where a chip controlling my bread toaster would by far outscore a computer my father worked on 50 years back there is pretty much nothing one could rule out completely. Not at this level of complexity.

And I wouldn't advise being so definite about computer-specific problems, for exactly the same reason. What works with Dell might not work with Asus.

Talking about it not being an isolated case, well - some cars' engines sometimes stop on the way. Yes it looks similar - but the reasons of this can be very different. Can we say "sudden engine stop" is a typical problem? - no. It is a typical manifestation of a hundred different problems.

Experience has taught me not to take guesses; either we dig into the matter, or we decide to live with it somehow.

Nearly every case we dig in results in some action. Firmware update, or a recommendation to tighten the contact, or to check whether the cable could snap. With time we will finally have gone through all reasons that could possibly caused this symptom. That's how it works.

>

AeroGator

In modern electronics where a chip controlling my bread toaster would by far outscore a computer my father worked on 50 years back there is pretty much nothing one could rule out completely. Not at this level of complexity.

And I wouldn't advise being so definite about computer-specific problems, for exactly the same reason. What works with Dell might not work with Asus.

Talking about it not being an isolated case, well - some cars' engines sometimes stop on the way. Yes it looks similar - but the reasons of this can be very different. Can we say "sudden engine stop" is a typical problem? - no. It is a typical manifestation of a hundred different problems.

Experience has taught me not to take guesses; either we dig into the matter, or we decide to live with it somehow.

So far I have not been definitive at all - I merely said it appears to be.... I raised a few questions and asked how we can help you to figure out what is going as this does not seem to be an uncommon problem.

Nearly every case we dig in results in some action. Firmware update, or a recommendation to tighten the contact, or to check whether the cable could snap. With time we will finally have gone through all reasons that could possibly caused this symptom. That's how it works.

I really do not doubt that. Sorry, if you got the impression. I'm just trying to find a solution to my problem. So if you found out anything you can share, feel free. Or again, let us know how we can help. Some here have the problem but did not specify their systems. If you think this is related to a specific hardware, we can specify this more accurately.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

I'm just trying to find a solution to my problem

:D

Absolutely, and my sole purpose is to help you.

So, if your device is working, and you're OK with periodically reconnecting the pigtail - good, everyone is happy.

Once it begins nagging you too much, let's dig deeper.

However there is a chance that if you leave it to work as is, then in some time we will either issue a new firmware, or otherwise somehow find the way to avoid it happening in future. So I'd perhaps just let it be until you get angry with it.

>

AeroGator

• 1 month later...

Same X-axis issues here on a gen-2 gunfighter. Have already serviced it several times. I’m on my 2nd x-axis board btw (1st one had same symptoms getting more frequent and severe until it wouldn’t work anymore). VKB guys were good about helping and replacing it when needed, but it is annoying reoccurring issue.

Well looks like now I am suffering the same X-Axis problem.

Yesterday my Gunfighter Pro Mk I started acting up, it will not center properly. Viewing the axis movement in the VKB software, when I move stick to the left about 2/3rd of the way there it will stop moving and then start again. Then when I center it is too far to the left of center, move full right and center and it is too far to the right.

I opened it up and my X-Axis spring and nut for damper had come off, so got them back on but that was not the problem.

To temporarily get around this I calibrated the stick only moving it about 75% or so to the left and right, that seems to have smoothed out the axis jitteriness to where I could fly with it.

After reading this thread will try taking gimbal out and re-seating X-axis connector.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok so took the gimbal out and unplugged/re-plugged the connections.

I could see where one of my X axis wires might have been stressed a little so moved it around to give it more slack.

Re-calibrated and so far looking good!

Hoping it stays that way for a while.

One thing I really like about the Gunfighter, is the ease of taking it apart and working on it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same X-axis issues here on a gen-2 gunfighter
It's great to talk on the forums :) about planes, air warfare, space battles and so forth.

I read forums to stay aware of news about our products, feedback, customers' wishes and complaints.

But please note, tech support guys do not read forums! I do, but to be precise I am not a support engineer. So the fastest way to get help has always been (and remains) to get a ticket at the dealer's. And, but not or, write at VKB home forum - in case you think your case is unique, and you think more people should know how to deal with it. The fact that I saw your post is not a shortcut, and no substitute to opening a support ticket.

We do want to see you happy with your device, and will be happy to help. Please open a ticket, and help will come.

My X-axis got jittery and wouldnt stay on center again
^

Hoping it stays that way for a while
If you could only know how much we're hoping for the same! :joystick:

>

AeroGator

• 1 month later...

Here we go again... Same problem, same fix.

Looks like it happens to me every 2-3 months now.

Edited by funkyfranky