Question about radio procedures

Subferro

I was wondering if anyone had any input on how to properly set up and navigate radio channels in a busy environment. I have a mission where I’m part of a hornet duo tasked with CAS. There are other flights (SEAD and BARCAP) on the mission tactical frequency. I also have an AWACS but I’m a little unsure what frequency to put them on. The problem is that when I push to a JTAC frequency I lose the tactical frequency (I assume that I should keep my intraflight radio tuned for communication with the wingman). In the A-10 this was never a problem as I could keep one radio on my flight, one on the tactical frequency, and a third for JTAC. Now with just two, I’m not sure which one I should change to the JTAC.

TLDR;

If I have 3 frequencies I want to monitor(flight, tactical, JTAC), how should I set my radios:

1) push flight to the JTAC and make ground forces listen to comms with my wingman?

2) push tactical to JTAC and be blind to changing situation

3) put the AWACS on guard (while maybe not realistic, would the AWACS have a list of flight comm frequencies to contact me even if I’m off the tactical channel? If so I think this is a reasonable proxy for that). I would still have to change frequency to transmit TO AWACS, but at least I can hear their calls this way.

I've also wondered about this. For A2A missions, I maintain one radio for wingman comms and one for the tactical frequency, where AWACS also transmits on.

In your scenario, I'd push the intraflight frequency to the JTAC one. Normally, I never want to lose comms with AWACS.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I could be wrong, but I think in the future we will technically have 2 additional radios through the MIDS, one of which could be used for intraflight. Not sure if that is how it works or if that is even being worked on at the moment.

In any case, is this a human wingman you are flying with? If so, I'd suggest some division of responsibility. Have your wingman monitor tactical while you communicate with the JTAC or vice versa. If AWACS is calling you or something, your wingman can let you know and you can switch over if needed.

I was wondering if anyone had any input on how to properly set up and navigate radio channels in a busy environment. I have a mission where I’m part of a hornet duo tasked with CAS. There are other flights (SEAD and BARCAP) on the mission tactical frequency. I also have an AWACS but I’m a little unsure what frequency to put them on. The problem is that when I push to a JTAC frequency I lose the tactical frequency (I assume that I should keep my intraflight radio tuned for communication with the wingman). In the A-10 this was never a problem as I could keep one radio on my flight, one on the tactical frequency, and a third for JTAC. Now with just two, I’m not sure which one I should change to the JTAC.

TLDR;

If I have 3 frequencies I want to monitor(flight, tactical, JTAC), how should I set my radios:

1) push flight to the JTAC and make ground forces listen to comms with my wingman?

2) push tactical to JTAC and be blind to changing situation

3) put the AWACS on guard (while maybe not realistic, would the AWACS have a list of flight comm frequencies to contact me even if I’m off the tactical channel? If so I think this is a reasonable proxy for that). I would still have to change frequency to transmit TO AWACS, but at least I can hear their calls this way.

Subferro,

In this scenario, i tend to push the flight to JTAC for the very reason, you'll need AWACS comms in a busy environment. You can do that by adding a trigger point, with "set freq" in the trigger list (I do this for ATC/AWACS type changes in campaigns).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]