How do you learn to fly new aircraft? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #31
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick50 View Post
I'll be buying the Hornet, no doubt. But I think I'll be starting with Warbirds and maybe Korean era jets, build up in complexity through the F-5 Tiger, before getting super deep into the Hornet, Harrier and Bombcat!
I get the feeling though, that the A-10C, Mig-21 and Mi-8 Hip may be quite the challenge to learn, maybe mores than the Hornet and Tomcat... what do you guys think?
At least for me, the hardest modules are the helos and the warbirds .. in part because I dont own a pair of rudder pedals.

The easiest to fly, again in my opinion, is the F-18 .. it has an easy start-up, easy taxi and take-off, easy shore landing once you learn to use the "E-bracket" thingy on the HUD ... even the case 1 carrier landing is quite easy (again, using the e-bracket) ... of course, learning the sensors, countermeasures and weapons delivery is a long affair, as it has so many different weapons and sensors to choose.

The A-10C is about the same difficulty as the F-18, but with a longer startup and a much less legible HUD,
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #32
ApoNOOB

I think Pikey made a very important point, different people learn differently. You need to find out first what kind of learning works best for you. For myself, only tutorial videos don't really work. I need it best written out in a picture guide or checklist.

The manual is usually too dry and long winded for me, but I never really do completely without. IMHO if you are like me just use it to look up very specific things, it suddenly is way less intimidating. If you are currently learning something, watched tutorials, read a guide etc. but just want to know what 'this small thing here' means, manual is your go to and almost never let's you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
If this question is about learning technique then I can't disagree with an iterative approach, taking parts out and learning each, light skims turning into deep dives.

If the question is about effectiveness in learning, you need to know your own mind and how you work. A kinaesthetic learner will jump right in, the visual ones look at videos and the readers read. and most of us do the combinations. There is also social learning, which helps, jumping on with a friend and teaching each other and working through it faster. There is no one size fits all. The most important tool I personally have is experience of simulators, oddly enough and I fall back on that every time and have no issues picking planes up fast.

ApoNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #33
SharpeXB

When I got DCS A-10C it was on a Steam sale. I didn’t know anything about modern aircraft at all, my only experience was in a WWI sim. So I didn’t understand any modern instruments or anything. I did own a HOTAS. Which really helped.
I read the whole manual on an iPhone.

There’s a benefit to combining active and passive learning. Reading the manual is essential, there’s just no substitute for that. But it’s passive. So is watching videos. Combine sessions of passive reading with active practice and that’s the ticket. The training missions are ok but repeating them is sorta time consuming because there may be only certain parts you need a refresher on.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #34
mazex

Like many others here... Download the Chuck guide for the aircraft. Then read one chapter - do it a couple of times. Then the next...

I rather early learned the basics of the editor to set up a simple single player scenario where I start in the air and change the loadout to whatever I want to try out. Have two Shilkas and a radar beside the runway of a field in front of me and two tankers with a destroyer in the water off the coast. They have all died a thousand deaths...

After that you can dive into one of the threads here about "how do I use the TGP with the Mav E" and actually understand what people are talking about And the two Shilkas will not know what hit them (again) if everything goes according to plan... Many times they naturally wonder why that plane fired a missile into the forest 2 miles away, but they are used to it by now And then I take them out with my guns if everything else fails...

It's a matter of principle.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 AM   #35
brianhclackamas

Default learning to fly

I think a great approach is to do what the military does. Start in a trainer w/no weapons. Master that. Move to a warbird. Master basic navigation and weapons. Move to the F5 or F86. Master that. Then start using the very complicated but rewarding F18 or F14---you will never master those.
brianhclackamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #36
GGTharos
Veteran

The real world has to contend with costs for training that we don't need to concern ourselves with, and that is why they start on cheaper aircraft to learn the basics.

As for 'never mastering' the 14 or 18, maybe speak for yourself? There's rhyme and reason for everything, and ways to prepare for missions.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote