Anyone tried going waaay vertical in the 'Cat? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
AH_Solid_Snake

I'm not sure there isn't some mixing of terms going on which might be adding confusion.

The Flanker absolutely has more high alpha stability and nose authority than the F-14, if you try getting into a high alpha state and then dare put in some left or right stick movement you'll quickly drop a wing and end up in a spin in the 14.

What the F-14 does have is a very slow speed + very small diameter turn circle, although its turn rate is not really much to write home about.

One thing that still bites me in ACM on occasion is due to its very stable flight the F-14 can literally be dropping at 1000fpm but still have the nose pointed right where you want it so long as the AOA isn't off the scale and you don't try and combine it with roll inputs - with no HUD altimeter / rate gauge you can lose a good bit of height imperceptibly staring out the window.
AH_Solid_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
eatthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERacing View Post
One Cat Driver in a video I watched talked about the plane coming in slow, but with wings full sweep back into the merge... The bandit sees the sweep, things it is coming in supersonic and flies through. Once past, the cat would move full sweep wings forward and cut the low speed turn right on to the bandits 6 and fire. All the while, the bandit thinks he is going to out turn the cat. This was part of the added benefit to having a sweep manual override on the throttle.

Been wanting to try that maneuver in one of the MP servers to see who I could fool.

But the cat pilot discussed the very thing you just mentioned.
ive had exactly that idea but havnt had a dogfight to test it yet lol
eatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH_Solid_Snake View Post
The Flanker absolutely has more high alpha stability and nose authority than the F-14, if you try getting into a high alpha state and then dare put in some left or right stick movement you'll quickly drop a wing and end up in a spin in the 14.
Lateral stick is bad idea but you can still use the rudder at high AoA.

Btw: AI F-14B is quite challanging opponent last time I tried. Flanker doesn't hold its ground.