[DCS BUG] TRACK REPLAY BUG

U5off

I am currently still experiencing broken track replays with the Viggen. On a taxi to the runway it demonstrates a mind of it's own by running into the sand, or not even leaving it's parking lot etc...

Thank you.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I made a mission with the Viggen in the red flag campaign. It was imposible for my aircraft to taxi correctly in the replay. So no, it is not fixed in the viggen neither.

But as said, this is a DCS bug, that they won't fix it for years unless there is a miracle.

I don't know how Tacview can show correctly the flights and not DCS. If there were a way of only record some events as Position, angles, and weapon releases, that would be easier. It is great to have a replay system that shows even where you where looking..... if it works. But this system don't work.

Maybe Heatblur could do some of its magic and make their personal replay module. Replays produce great videos that can show others the beauty of their planes and help in future purchases.

In my experience, the Viggen works fine for a flying replay (as in, takeoff from runway and fly around a bit). Haven't done any replays of taxiing, but if that is broken, then that is also something that should be fixed.

The F-14, however, does not work in replays when flying. It just doesn't pull up when I do in reality and simply flies into the ground immediately (or makes a way too late takeoff before crashing).

So, the bugs are different from eachother, but both are Heatblur modules, so there must be some common denominator that is causing it. I just hope Heatblur and ED can figure it out, as I love watching tracks of my "awesome" flying :)

It's also very helpful for practicing landing patterns, dogfighting, or just about anything, as you can analyze what you did right and what you did wrong. Sure, you have Tacview, but being able to get into the cockpit and look around while watching my own gameplay is very helpful to learn from my own mistakes.

I hope you will make this bug a priority to fix (after the autothrottle CTD bug).

In my experience, the Viggen works fine for a flying replay (as in, takeoff from runway and fly around a bit). Haven't done any replays of taxiing, but if that is broken, then that is also something that should be fixed.

The F-14, however, does not work in replays when flying. It just doesn't pull up when I do in reality and simply flies into the ground immediately (or makes a way too late takeoff before crashing).

So, the bugs are different from eachother, but both are Heatblur modules, so there must be some common denominator that is causing it. I just hope Heatblur and ED can figure it out, as I love watching tracks of my "awesome" flying :)

It's also very helpful for practicing landing patterns, dogfighting, or just about anything, as you can analyze what you did right and what you did wrong. Sure, you have Tacview, but being able to get into the cockpit and look around while watching my own gameplay is very helpful to learn from my own mistakes.

I hope you will make this bug a priority to fix (after the autothrottle CTD bug).

This problem is not HB but only ED. And she is very old. She is many years old. Many planes on the tracks are out of sync. The developers do not have a solution and in the coming (years?) it should not be expected.

Also this problem go up many times :(

Just did a quick post-patch check, and replays are still not working. The F-14 is the quickest to fail replays in my experience. the other planes, you can fly entire airshows with takeoff and landings without it getting out of sync.

Now, maybe in hour-long tracks you would get desyncing, but I haven't tested that.

But in the F-14, the problems occur after seconds. I just did a simple test: taxiing around at Nellis for five minutes, following some random yellow lines. The F-14 didn't turn 90 degrees when I did, but instead about 45 degrees on the second turn I did... And then it got stuck in the sand.

I know there was nothing in patch notes about this, but I still wonder if there is nothing that can be done to fix this feature?

On this side of the forum, you say that the problem lies with ED. and on the ED side of the forum, they say that the problem lies with the 3rd party devs. So, I'm at a loss.

I don't know how Tacview can show correctly the flights and not DCS.

First, because Tacview isn't an exact 1:1 representation, either. Its recording heading, bank angle, and pitch, with position applied to a coordinate grid, whether lat/long derived or simple X/Y/Z. It's interpolating everything else presented to the user. Meanwhile, DCS is recording *every* input and variance thereof, and having to replay within those constraints. This is why any global change in drag, pressure modeling, or the like screws everything up. And it's also why the replays from servers seem to work better, because they appear to be tracking less of this data.

Edited by lunaticfringe

Just did a test with the F/A-18C, to see if it too gets replay errors if the track file is a bit longer. If the replay desync issue is a global problem (a DCS bug), then *all* planes should eventually start deviating from what originally happened.

- Did a cold and dark start from Nellis

- Manually set up waypoints from the HSI page

- taxi to runway and takeoff vi multiple taxiways

- 40 minutes flying via multiple waypoints

- Flew some hands-on maneuvering as well as flying on autopilot. Did both rolls and loops to try to "provoke" the replay bug

- TACAN approach to Creech and landing

- Finally taxiing into one of the shelters at Creech and parking exactly on the centerline, to see if there was any deviation between reality and replay.

Results: Perfect replay. It did everything exactly the same (navigation, waypoint entry, TACAN, light settings), landed in the same spot on the runway as when it happened live, and parked in the exact same spot in the shelter, within millimeters.

Even when watching the replay with manual views and skipping time with up to 10x time acceleration, it still parked perfectly at the end.

Conclusion: EDs own module is clearly doing something that The F-14 is not. Maybe the flight model or the flight control system of the F-14 does some extra layer of control adjustment between the stick/throttle inputs that is not recorded into the trk-file? (just a guess obviously, but I really hope Heatblur could figure this out).

I think you should change the tag on this from [DCS bug] to [Reported] or something like that, because the problem is clearly related to the F-14 in some way. (there may be other 3rd party modules that have similar issues, but F-14 is by far the one I fly the most of the non-ED modules)

Did the same test with the MiG-19P. taxi, takeoff, flying, shooting guns, maneuvering, flying under bridges, landing, precision taxiing to a specific point.

Replay shows the exact same. Even if I play around with time accel when watching it.

So, Razbam modules seem to not have this issue either, as far as I can see.

• 3 months later...

I`ve experienced this bug on several modules so to me it doesn`t seem connected to any individual modules, but DCS itself. (Last one was with the I-16, I`ve also seen it whilst using the A-10 and the FA-18).

It seems very random, - most of the time the replay is OK but on occasion its like watching someone else at the controls when you replay your flight.

Its definitely a `wtf moment` when you watch yourself crash after landing safely in the original.

Aircraft:- Almost ALL of em. - Except...the F14,the F5E,the C101,the JF-17,the MIG19P, and the FW190-A8. (Just 6 to go to complete the set...) :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Yes I have noticed this bug once and a while, but now with the latest open beta update it’s a real issue with the P-51 in the Normandy map. I put a uboat off shore and also a armored column crossing a bridge. Did a lot of missions strafing the sub and blowing up the bridge. Which went really well. But every time I would watch the track view it was never even close to what really happened. Rockets were very far off and after a perfect landing it alway showed the P-51 crash into the woods or the ocean. Kinda sucks cuz that’s part of the fun watching what you did like a movie you can’t do that while concentrating on the controls and your situation.

Other DCS modules have error rate of roughly 1 in 20 replays, free trial F-14 had 20 in 20 - ie it NEVER worked! Even in the most simple tracks like 5 minute take off and land jobs. Talking about single player offline - general flight on an empty map or campaign missions with AI units.

Replays are a core feature for me, so F-14 will not be bought until this is sorted.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Just played F-14 on Supercarrier and wanted to make a video... Guess what, it doesn't work. Tried to record 8 launches and they all result in completely wrong replay and fall from the carrier. I own the Tomcat for a year now and I honestly don't remember replay working... ever!

Some info would be nice, thank you!

F/A-18C replay errors

Just did a test with the F/A-18C, to see if it too gets replay errors if the track file is a bit longer. If the replay desync issue is a global problem (a DCS bug), then *all* planes should eventually start deviating from what originally happened.

- Flew some hands-on maneuvering as well as flying on autopilot. Did both rolls and loops to try to "provoke" the replay bug

- Finally taxiing into one of the shelters at Creech and parking exactly on the centerline, to see if there was any deviation between reality and replay.

Results: Perfect replay. It did everything exactly the same (navigation, waypoint entry, TACAN, light settings), landed in the same spot on the runway as when it happened live, and parked in the exact same spot in the shelter, within millimeters.

Even when watching the replay with manual views and skipping time with up to 10x time acceleration, it still parked perfectly at the end.

Conclusion: EDs own module is clearly doing something that The F-14 is not. Maybe the flight model or the flight control system of the F-14 does some extra layer of control adjustment between the stick/throttle inputs that is not recorded into the trk-file? (just a guess obviously, but I really hope Heatblur could figure this out).

I think you should change the tag on this from [DCS bug] to [Reported] or something like that, because the problem is clearly related to the F-14 in some way. (there may be other 3rd party modules that have similar issues, but F-14 is by far the one I fly the most of the non-ED modules)

I have the same problem with the F/A-18C.

all the replay watched tracks or Saved tracks begin ok but during the replay something going wrong. for example landing successfully on the aircraft carrier, watching the track after ending the mission or watching the saved track by replay option play few minutes perfect but suddenly the behavior of the track flight change the flight path changes in another direction and the plane dives and crashes to the ocean.

I open the tickets for DCS support and got an formal answer that received about a week ago is:

"Unfortunately, this is a global bug of our DCS.

Our programmers and testers are working on this "

Mean , THIS IS A GLOBAL BUG !!!

Aviram_AD

This is really frustrating for me. Was trying to post some walkthrough's of the p-51d challeng campaign. Had many of the missions flown perfectly and showing a number of techniques to avoid AA fire etc...

Load up my replay's. One of my best missions where I took out all the AA successfully and without getting hit once and then attacking the ground targets... the replay shows me getting hit by the very first AA weapon and diving into the ground... lol, wtf. Well that idea didn't last very long. At least I have the tracviews, but its not the same.

More than half (I havn'g figured the numbers out exactly, but My standard expectation now is that it won't work) of my replays don't play out in full at all, and if they do, they rarely represent what happened accurately.

I also hope they spend some time on this. I love DCS, but half of my enjoyment of DCS is pulling off a really challenging mission and being able to enjoy and review it later. If I can't, all that effor although enjoyable is lost in the ether.

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung

• 5 months later...

From 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM:

Hopefully It won't take almost 2 years to fix it just like the Viggen's replay bug

We're getting close to 2 years...

I wonder if any attempts to fix the replays have been done at all. It would have been great (and good PR for the module!) if we could do cool things and then watch and record the replay and post them on YouTube.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
From 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM:

We're getting close to 2 years...

I wonder if any attempts to fix the replays have been done at all. It would have been great (and good PR for the module!) if we could do cool things and then watch and record the replay and post them on YouTube.

+1000, Several years to solve this?

Take a look at my MODS here

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, yngvef said:

Just so you know, I have experienced  broken tracks with the P-51D, the A-10C, the A-10C II, the F-16C, F-86, and the F-18C, also.  I have experienced broken track replays with every module I have ever bothered to watch a track for, except for the F-15C.  It really is an ED problem.

I will grant that the F-14 goes off the rails faster than most of those planes.

EDIT: Forgot the F-86.

Edited by Wildwind

"I experience broken tracks with x therefore it is an ED issue" is not valid unless specific circumstances are also reported. Perfect replay tracks are always flying from Point A to Point B, on shore, with no damage. When carriers are involved, they break. When taking damage is involved, they break. When something specific happens, they break. And that "something specific" can differ from aircraft to aircraft. I once had GBU releases consistently break Harrier replays, but if I avoided using GBUs the replays would always be perfectly fine. The Tomcat is the only module that has broken replay tracks for no apparent reason

The only way to get 100% reliable replay tracks is from an MP server .trk file that has zero player inputs. The only reproducible common denominator in broken replays is the player's inputs. 

Edited by Nealius

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2020 at 11:06 PM, aviramad said:

F/A-18C replay errors

I have the same problem with the F/A-18C.

all the replay watched tracks or Saved tracks begin ok but during the replay something going wrong. for example landing successfully on the aircraft carrier, watching the track after ending the mission or watching the saved track by replay option play few minutes perfect but suddenly the behavior of the track flight change the flight path changes in another direction and the plane dives and crashes to the ocean.

I open the tickets for DCS support and got an formal answer that received about a week ago is:

"Unfortunately, this is a global bug of our DCS.

Our programmers and testers are working on this "

Mean , THIS IS A GLOBAL BUG !!!

I have exactly same behavior as you described with the F/A-18C, and it began about 2 years ago (before it worked perfect), but 2 years ago ii couldn't get even one time that the replay track was ok.

I opened many tickets about this error, and all the answers that I received from ED were "this bug well known", That all.

No one solved it and i think that no one from ED will sole it ! 

Aviram_AD

• 2 months later...