Interesting observation on stiction with the Warthog - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
Supmua

Default Interesting observation on stiction with the Warthog

It appears to be dependent on the grips as well.

I've been testing various aspects of the new F-16SGRH grip from Realsimulator and notice that I would get stiction near the periphery when I pushed it all the way to the right, whenever this thing is on my Warthog base. Same thing happened with Virpil's T50 CM2 grip also. But when I plug in the Warthog or F/A18 grip the stiction would completely disappear. This is reproducible with multiple trials of exchanging grips back and forth. So it seems to be weight dependent and this Warthog base doesn't seem a good match for light weight grips.

Note that my Warthog base has modified springs (extra springs in each of the lower column, to get rid of center stiffness). Other than that, this base has been awesome and houses my F/A-18 grip most of the time.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-12-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
Aurelius

I have owned two Warthog HOTASes Supmua and while I tried and tried to love them, in the end, ... I had to find something better. Even with customs springs and fiddling with it, I never enjoyed the Warthog stick base. The plastic gimbal, the stiction, the over stiff springs, the poor weighting, .... never liked it. The grip was fine (a bit too heavy for my tastes) but the base was poorly designed. One semester, the Department assigned me to teach Engineering Design I (with primarily undergrad juniors) and I even brought in the Warthog as an example of how not to design something I think the sweet spot right now for all the Warthog guys is to put the grip on a Virpil Warbird base. I have tried that combo and it is very nice and is probably the best option for virtual pilots that fly American fighters. I did not like it quite as much as my VKB GF MCG Pro but it is very close.

Be careful when driving on the roads, almost half the people you drive past or beside have below average intelligence.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog /CH Pro Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Index

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
FZG_Immel

I have now switched to a virpil WRBRD base.. but after I polished and regreased my warthog base, I didn't have any stiction anymore
Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - ZOTAC 2080ti AMP Extreme Core - Cougar FSSB + Cougar NN_Dan + HOTAS Warthog + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedals - Track IR5
FZG_Immel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
Supmua

Ok, my point is that in my case I only see stiction with lighter grips--none with the Warthog and F/A-18 grips. I actually prefer this base for the F/A-18 grip, since on my Virpil WarBRD it feels like I'm just pulling springs and letting go when I do repeated push and pull motions on the stick. The WarBRD handles much better when paired with Virpil's own TM50 CM2, or Realsim's F-16SGRH grips which are much lighter.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote