Aircraft models? (the plastic kind)

WelshZeCorgi

I've been wanting to get into modeling (the plastic miniature kind, not the heidi klum kind)

I've wanted to make all the aircraft you can currently fly in DCS.

Problem is, I can't find model kits that accurately represents most of the helis and aircraft in the sim.

For example, the best A10C I can find is the one made by Italeri, but the cockpit comes from the A10A, as it doesn't have the double MFCDs on the dash.

Anyone into models (not the marissa miller kind... but yes) that managed to make a few of the aircraft flown in DCS?

I've been thinking about doing the same for a few years now, but never got around to it.

Have you decided on a scale yet? At 1:72 for instance, I wouldn't bother with details like exact cockpit interior. Externally the A-10A and C are 99% the same.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Heh, I had the same idea... I prefer 1:72 though. 1:48 is pretty big, especially if you want to build ALL DCS aircraft eventually.

For the Viggen, Tarangus has a new model out. Looks great but I still need to buy it.

I do have the Heller version, but that one is not fantastic.

The AJ variant is coming out later this year from Special Hobby who developed the kit together with Tarangus.

Eduard has a MiG-15bis which I think is pretty decent.

The also have an Albatros.

You can have a look here:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/?switchlang=EN

Edited by Zius

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I like 1/72nd...mainly because there’s a B-52 in that scale and it really shows how big the BUFF is.

Especially when I had a 1/72nd Fokker Tri-plane nearby!

:pilotfly:

Heh! I have those as well!

But maybe I'll someday try to make the Hindenburg in 1/72:

Giant_Aircraft_Comparison.svg

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I had a similar idea but had to give up on the "all DCS aircraft" idea and just do my favorites. I typically stick to Hasegawa and Tamiya (sometimes Eduard) for brands, since those tend to be the most accurate and well-fitting, although Hasegawa and Eduard do occasionally have fit issues. I have never once had a Tamiya kit not fit properly, which I love.

I just want to own this. No where near good enough to make it:

Love how he handles it like it's made out of cobwebs. You know from the way he handles it, (plus the movable parts) 70% of that kit was made from PE and lightly glued, intricate parts that took the better part of a year to build.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

How did you learn to get that good Madcat? I keep messing up my models at some point in the build.

I started scale modelling about 15 years ago. There was a hobby shop in town which offered lessons in basic model building. Simply purchase the kit at the shop and pay a fee of $50. The Japanese boss would then teach me how to build, weather and airbrush a model. It was all basic stuff. I remember being so wow-ed at how drybrushing brought out the detail in the cockpit that I called it magical stuff.

I’ve built maybe about 50 models since then and only dabbled in the optional stuff like photoetch and resin parts a lot later and only after getting the basics right. The important things are to get the basics right, keep practising and not be afraid of failure.

There is a plethora of videos on YouTube to get you started. Try out different techniques and select the ones which you’re comfortable with. Get feedback by posting photos of your progress on model building forums like the one at aircraftresourcecenter.com. You’ll be surprised at how many out there are willing to share their knowledge and help make you a better modeller.

I've often wondered if anyone ever got really good at effects, like when the aircraft is in flight, afterburners, wingtip vortices, over the wing vapor effects, missile launches, stuff like that. But I doubt it, considering someone would have plastered photos of that stuff all over the internet if anyone made a really convincing effect like that.

I’ve seen YouTube videos on “how-to” make explosion effects and some other mad modeling stuff.

I myself don’t have the time or inclination to do that, but I have thought about buying a wood dowel and make some “Topgun” training aids... but not sure about how to secure the wood to the plastic. Epoxy and some safety wire discreetly located, methinks.

I had an awesome hobby store just around the corner from my place where I often stood at the window to marvel at all the models.

I used to do plastic models as a kid and always told myself I should get back into when I have a little more time.

Unfortunately it closed down a few years ago :(

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• 1 month later...

So I decided to take up the challenge of making all the DCS aircraft as platic models and build my first model since my teenage years.

Here's the first one to be finished:

attachment.php?attachmentid=217909&stc=1&d=1569599313

Sorry about the terrible photo.

I might move on to the A-10C next.

IMG-5482.thumb.JPG.5c4126d3d1c067f259c2643b2e6905c1.JPG

• Like 1

You guys have ZEN like patience.

Lots of respect !

Back in the days I used to do that too, but no where near that level. Maybe that's why I blew them up with fire crackers after New Years Eve, lighting the fuse and toss them down from 3rd floor. My dear Mom loved that mess in the back yard. LoL

The worst I did was set the Nimitz on fire in the tub, she really loved that one :music_whistling:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X