F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion

DeltaMike

I find the F16 joystick interesting and was interested to know everyone's thoughts/experiences. My only experience was sitting in a military training simulator, which was pretty darn cool.

- Looks like the stick is very similar to, if not identical to the TM Warthog, no?

- The stick doesn't actually move, it just responds to pressure. Is it true, there's a way of modding a Warthog to do that? Does it work OK?

- Seems like I remember CH had a replica F16 throttle. Looks to me like the Logitech X52 is close as well.

- I had a CH combat stick way back in the day, it was nothing to scream about. The Cougar looks pretty slick, that uses a serial, port, right? I remember those, see em on ebay. People seem to like it. I don't even know if I have a serial port in my PC, I don't imagine it would be hard to find a card tho, assuming that would work?

Really looking forward to seeing some F16 simpit builds, and interested to know what kinda controls yall are noodling

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the F16 joystick interesting and was interested to know everyone's thoughts/experiences. My only experience was sitting in a military training simulator, which was pretty darn cool.

- Looks like the stick is very similar to, if not identical to the TM Warthog, no?

- The stick doesn't actually move, it just responds to pressure. Is it true, there's a way of modding a Warthog to do that? Does it work OK?

- Seems like I remember CH had a replica F16 throttle. Looks to me like the Logitech X52 is close as well.

- I had a CH combat stick way back in the day, it was nothing to scream about. The Cougar looks pretty slick, that uses a serial, port, right? I remember those, see em on ebay. People seem to like it. I don't even know if I have a serial port in my PC, I don't imagine it would be hard to find a card tho, assuming that would work?

Really looking forward to seeing some F16 simpit builds, and interested to know what kinda controls yall are noodling

1.) Same exact handle.

2.) Real stick moves just a tiny bit, probably 1/4" but just enough to give the pilot feedback on his/her input. Real Simulator FSSB R3 will give you a force sensing like the real jet, but it is $$$.

3.) CH did have a close replica, have no experience with. X52, similar but not 1:1.

4.) The HOTAS Cougar was USB, the issue is the Throttle had the gameport, but it was connected to the stick base, then base connected to the PC via USB. Real Simulator has an adapter to go from Gameport to USB. http://realsimulator.com/html/tusba.html

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Yeah, you can do funny things with that old gameport stuff, I rebuilt my TQS for another Sim with a Bodnar board and added some switches and axes, I even made a working throttle release handle and detent, of course it is not flipping like the original throttle, but it is functional ....the cursor control is replaced with a PS thumbstick and precise this way.

hotas1.thumb.JPG.f913f9233c924a256beb11fd437ef0de.JPG

hotas2.thumb.JPG.286c97f26babfe3ce9bc8d16c0c15c50.JPG

Some says A-10C Warthog stick was "borrowed" from the F16.

I`d say http://www.realsimulator.com/ does have very good Cougar and Warthog FSSB mode, but it does cost money.

I personally recommanded FSSB R2 for Cougar if you have a set of cougar at first place. It doese feel good in SIMS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I9-9900K-Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC, 32G DDR4000 RAM,

Track IR5, HOTAS Cougar + über Nxt Hall Sensor Mod, Slaw Device RX Viper

If you want a force sensing stick that is a replica of the F-16 but dont want to spend a fortune. I would suggest buying a used X-65 off ebay. I own an X-65 and lots of my VFW members do as well. Great stick for flight sims, not as good as a vkb or virpil product but that being said those sticks are not force sensing. The only issue I have with it is it doesnt move at all and the throttle uses the same old saitek detent system that sucks. Also if your into space sims dont get one it sucks for that as well trust me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saitek-Pro-Flight-X-65F-HOTAS-Combat-Control-System/113739380075?epid=1500253439&hash=item1a7b65356b:g:cucAAOSwInJc0K-F&frcectupt=true

I'll be sticking with my CH combat stick, pedals and throttle. I'm experimenting with a generic button box at the moment with a view to building a UFC for the Viper and adding the Thrustmaster MFDs. However, I fear that is likely to cause an unavoidable slip towards full on cockpit building... Especially having made the mistake of looking at viperpits!

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

If you want a force sensing stick that is a replica of the F-16 but dont want to spend a fortune. I would suggest buying a used X-65 off ebay. I own an X-65 and lots of my VFW members do as well. Great stick for flight sims, not as good as a vkb or virpil product but that being said those sticks are not force sensing. The only issue I have with it is it doesnt move at all and the throttle uses the same old saitek detent system that sucks. Also if your into space sims dont get one it sucks for that as well trust me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saitek-Pro-Flight-X-65F-HOTAS-Combat-Control-System/113739380075?epid=1500253439&hash=item1a7b65356b:g:cucAAOSwInJc0K-F&frcectupt=true

I've got a x65f too. Great little stick. Less to brake when it doesn't move : ) I've had mine forever and never had an issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F16 SSC "Stick" isn't quite identical to the A-10. There are a couple difference I am aware of. There may be more.

1) There is no CMS click on the F16. The F16 maps its buttons differently and only has 4 functions instead of 5 in the A10.

2) The F16 has an additional Paddle Switch behind the Pinky switch (The A10 NWS button) that is used to override the F16 Autopilot. This allows us to adjust the AP path/alt without flipping additional switches. The F16 TQS "throttle" does not have any Autopilot functions embedded.

Other that the Force-Sensing post, I know of no other differences. You could probably get away with the HOTAS Warthog controller and just swap the CMS click for the AP Override Paddle switch, but if you want maximum realism, look into the Thrustmaster Cougar, the F16 replica TM made over 20 years ago. They weren't made with Hall-Effect Sensors like the Warthog was so after all this time, it probably requires some investment, but I still love mine and won't fly a Viper with anything else...

As an owner of a TM Cougar set, TM Warthog set and a real Blk40 HOTAS set I can tell you the that the Warthog Stick is closer to the real deal than the Cougar. Special point is the position of the pinky switch and the paddle switch.

With throttle the cougar grip offers more comfort, the real parts has very strickt up / down ways for the UHF switch for example. On the Thrustmaster Part you can switch from down to left in a fluid way.. with the real part you have to center the button and then go left…

So for PC simmers I would say following setup is best for DCS: F-16. A single Warthog stick and a old Cougar Throttle with the realsimulator USB connector ;) I doe knot know exact how easy it is in DCS to assign DX buttons, but in BMS you can Programm the stick in this way within 30 seconds. No software needed at all. All the functions are give through the selected master mode…

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

While I would love a Cougar throttle, I have a very functional setup for my TMW throttle in BMS which, I imagine, will be much easier to replicate in DCS. Can't wait!

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

This seems like a good reason for me to finally upgrade to the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. Hopefully it goes on sale sometime between now and release.

not really. Just go to the Virpil. Many warthog user upgraded their stick to a Virpil base. I had 0 issues with my Warthog, and you can tell the 10 years between them. If you can find a Warthog grip, buy it, if not just buy everything from Virpil and be happy. Warthog is even more expensive then at release (crazy I know), and your experience will not be on par with the price.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 5820K, 32GB DDR4, 3x250GB SSD RAID0, nVidia GTX 1080, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Virpil WarBird base with Thrustmaster Warthog grip, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals - 2484.

Well here fully loaded F16 cougar stick with throttle modded with pressure sensors hehe real deal and can’t wait for f16 this will be day and night pedal to the metal!! Or ready to burnnn!!

GIVE US!

Obvious F-16 C/D/A and B (MLU ver.)

The Tornado F3/ GR4

The EuroFighter Typhoon

Intel Core I7 6850K 6/12 core OC@4.3Ghz /Gigabyte X99 Wifi/ Corsair DDR4 3400Mhz 32Gb VENGENCE LED/ PSU Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular 80+Gold/ MSI GamingX GTX1080OC/ SSD M.2 500GB Samsung Evo970 and 1TB FireCuda SSHD HYBRID/ 24'5inch AOC75Hz Gsync Monitor 1ms/ Win10Pro 64Bit/ Cooling 4 LED 120mm Fans, CPU Cooling Corsair H80i V2. Flight equip. HOTAS COUGAR F-16 modded.:joystick:

This seems like a good reason for me to finally upgrade to the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. Hopefully it goes on sale sometime between now and release.

If it does it won't be much but there is nothing wrong with hoping :)

I bought it for , I think, 425 or 450 about 7 years ago and its still going strong and is the best HOTAS there is imo and well worth the money.

Here's a tip

If you buy on line the shipping cost can kill you as this thing is HEAVY so I bought it on Amazon , which was also the best price, and joyed Primes for a month (it was free) and got two day shipping for free.

One place I looked at had a great price but the shipping was freight and more then the HOTAS itself. lol

Last Christmas I bought a new sealed TM Hotas Cougar, and it works really well, but I have heard that it ages badly.

My question is: Is there any upgrade available to the TM Cougar (hall sensors for the throttle...) or anyone knows where to find it? Did a little search and found nothing... Is there something still available? (a part from the throttle USB connection, which I don't really need)

Many thanks in advance,

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Hey 1987kess, have you seen this?

I've replaced the pots in my Cougar stick with the sensors from rel4y - not going to bother with the throttle as it works perfectly and has had very little use...

The magneto-resistive sensors in the stick are AWESOME - extremely accurate and smooth - much better than the original pots. But, I'm still using the original gimbal, which is only ok.

So help me out here,,,,

I have a CH Pro Fighterstick, throttle and pedals,,,it works great with the P-51 F-86, F-5,,, OK with F-18 and A-10,,, now that the F-16 is in sight I was thinking of getting a thrust-master warthog throttle or maybe the stick too to use with A-10, F18 and now F-16.

Am I wasting my money or in good path?

Thanks

F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion

Yeah, you can do funny things with that old gameport stuff, I rebuilt my TQS for another Sim with a Bodnar board and added some switches and axes, I even made a working throttle release handle and detent, of course it is not flipping like the original throttle, but it is functional ....the cursor control is replaced with a PS thumbstick and precise this way.

Any way you can provide a little more info on the lever mod here? I’ve long been interested in modding my Cougar to achieve better idle/AB detents but wouldn’t know where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I kept my HOTAS Cougar throttle in the hope that one day we would get the F-16 in DCS, I just need to get the Realsimulator USB adaptor. Surely Thrustmaster still has the tooling and moulds to make a USB modern version of the TQS? The HOTAS Warthog stick is close enough.

I kept my HOTAS Cougar throttle in the hope that one day we would get the F-16 in DCS, I just need to get the Realsimulator USB adaptor. Surely Thrustmaster still has the tooling and moulds to make a USB modern version of the TQS? The HOTAS Warthog stick is close enough.

I'm sure the molds exist, but getting them to just do the Hornet stick has been an exercise in frustration.

I'd sooner be able to lodge a piece of coal in my ass and squeeze it into a diamond before they actually take the bull by the horns and do the F-16 throttle again.