Landing in the Bf 109K-4

fjacobsen

Hmmm, that's something I only do in emergency :) but you're probably right...

But, is the DCS present physics for "fields" landing usable ?

Yeah I think that it is okay...but field landings should be as they are in real life, and I think DCS does a good job of that. Remember that in real life most field landings are done for emergency reasons, and so my goal is too just survive the landing, so as to not take a death in game play. I have landed with no damage at all, turned around and taken off again...but... I also have had some terrible results, but after all, that is the same as that found in day to day RL emergency field landings :).....I'm just practicing how to stay alive for the eventual Normandy campaign release :P....I think a dedicated video blooper thread of K4 field landings, would be cool to have here

Edited by GT 5.0

Most of my field landings were also gear up and oddly enough I have a 100% success rate. By "success" I mean "not dying", since with the gear up you can't avoid damaging the aircraft. I can't say the same about my regular landings, where I managed to kill myself a few times ;).

Most of my field landings were also gear up and oddly enough I have a 100% success rate. By "success" I mean "not dying", since with the gear up you can't avoid damaging the aircraft. I can't say the same about my regular landings, where I managed to kill myself a few times ;).

Mine are always gear down, just in case the possibility of a after landing takeoff attempt can be made :music_whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

actualy i think it's quite simple, if you find your own "balance". granted, you have to focus much more than on a runway, but that goes without saying ;)

i focused on landing in the greens a few days ago, and as pictures tell more then i could tell, you might watch the attached track file.

(takeoff from the green was to early, but could be compensated ;) )

regards,

RR

109_field_landing_takeoff.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one who is finding it pretty fun to land and takeoff? I've been doing practice for the whole day since I just bought this and haven't suffered more than a bent prop. Stuck my first landing too! maybe there is some advantage to having rudder in a twist grip haha.

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

• 2 weeks later...

I just made a vid of my own technique for landing the 109, might not be correct, but it works for me.

Link to vid is here: https://youtu.be/5pGwCyaqOxc

Edited by Strut

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

I just made a vid of my own technique for landing the 109, might not be correct, but it works for me.

this is pretty much how i do it too, full flaps and +3 trim, though maybe 1 out of four or five times i find myself veering of the runway for some reason :/ even with tail wheel locked

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

this is pretty much how i do it too, full flaps and +3 trim, though maybe 1 out of four or five times i find myself veering of the runway for some reason :/ even with tail wheel locked

Just my two cents: Speed should be as low as possbile as well as minimizing vertical speed. Pull the stick back to push the tail to the ground. This reduces the tendency to bank - though if you are too fast, you will be catapulted back into the air. In the end it is just training, plain and simple, you will solve this in no time!

Callsign "Lion"

Just my two cents: Speed should be as low as possbile as well as minimizing vertical speed. Pull the stick back to push the tail to the ground. This reduces the tendency to bank - though if you are too fast, you will be catapulted back into the air. In the end it is just training, plain and simple, you will solve this in no time!

what he said. some more stick time, and it'll come too.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 months later...

Follow these instructions and you will have a perfect landing every time.

My approach, alignment with the runway and VVI were always perfect. My issue was always skidding to a stop and the wing tilting and hitting the pavement.

I was never able to land without the wing hitting the pavement after touchdown as it drifted uncontrollably.

It took a lot of practice to discover exactly what to do to keep the wings from hitting the pavement.

• lock tail wheel

• drop flaps and gear under 300kph

• slow approach around 200kph

• touchdown at 170kmh

• vertical Velocity Indicator (VVI) must be 2.5 - 0

• use brakes and rudder aggressively to control direction immediately after touchdown

Upon touchdown the BF-109 tends to start drifting to the left and you must correct it immediately with both opposite rudder and braking (light tapping).

I find that if you only use the brakes or only rudder to correct the direction after touch down it will drift uncontrollably to one side and the wing will tilt and hit the pavement.

You must use both the brakes and rudder simultaneously together to correct the direction down the runway.

Full back on the stick to make sure the tail wheel controls directional stability is the way to go. Get it right, and there is no tendency for the plane to veer off in either direction.

Obviously, to achieve that as soon as you touch down requires the aircraft to be slow enough. The way to achieve that is to just get the plane flying just above the runway, and progressively flare until you have the stick fully aft, and it'll settle nice and gently and roll straight ahead.

Careful control of airspeed and a good 3 point touchdown is the key.

• 5 months later...

Good lord of us... thanks to you I was able to land the Kurfurst safely for the first time! I got the dora long time ago and I've land the thing safely the first time but this one was still a pain in the ... :pilotfly: :thumbup:

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

Binding trim on the joystick's keys was a milestone for me in terms of landing. I think that was the idea in BF 109. Not putting trim wheel on some static, positive position but rotating it according to speed, attitude and range from runway. While Im landing I dont even see how the trim is set. Trim helps a lot to maintain in the air in low speed. After final touchdown, I pull stick and throttle down then gently tapping airbrakes to stay straight.

Edited by deyv

Madhatter sig2.png

|Ka-50|A-10C2|FC3|F-16C Viper|F-14A/B Tomcat|F/A-18 Hornet|Mig-21bis|Bf-109K-4|Spitfire.IX|FW190 D-9|Normandy|Channel|Nevada|Gulf|Syria|Supercarrier|AH-64D Apache|F-15E Mudhen|

• 2 weeks later...
Did a quick video about my vision of landing. What you think guys?

Looks great!

Only thing I wouldn't do your way is the shallow path - this is due to being a glider pilot and preferring to arrive high at the final... Also give you some more alternatives in case of engine failure, and in the 109 gives you better visibility ahead, before starting the flare...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Translators
Looks great!

Only thing I wouldn't do your way is the shallow path - this is due to being a glider pilot and preferring to arrive high at the final... Also give you some more alternatives in case of engine failure, and in the 109 gives you better visibility ahead, before starting the flare...

My pedals has no toe brakes, so I map left and right brakes on buttons in throttle and stick. That way is the safest for me because I usually flip over if I don't go stall before landing and don't have tail wheel authority, because button brakes is not so responsive. Manual also says to unlock tail wheel before landing, how that can be?

attachment.php?attachmentid=136877&stc=1&d=1458480070

20151222_125937.thumb.jpg.daa13c5c17b644e68a2487a01cc008d6.jpg

AKA LazzySeal

Manual also says to unlock tail wheel before landing, how that can be?

I think the manual means after landing and braking and before taxiing.

You only unlock the tailwheel to have manoeuvrability during taxi.

Otherwise you create an extra challenge for yourself. ;)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

My pedals has no toe brakes, so I map left and right brakes on buttons in throttle and stick.

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=136877&stc=1&d=1458480070

OT - I use the same pedals and with T-Link software "differential brakes" have good brake control (Bf 109, Fw 190, P-51).

Brake with joystick button - I use joy trigger for brake (for fire guns set trigger - +modifier 'switches') and set right/left brake with pedal movement.

• ED Translators
OT - I use the same pedals and with T-Link software "differential brakes" have good brake control (Bf 109, Fw 190, P-51).

Brake with joystick button - I use joy trigger for brake (for fire guns set trigger - +modifier 'switches') and set right/left brake with pedal movement.

Ok, now after firmware flash I have my rudder axis cut on edges :D

I've assigned brake button, but as soon as I push it there is no additional axis it is like instant maximum brake...

AKA LazzySeal