Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

Mr Mojo can you show some picture of what you did if possible , thanks.

Not brilliant pics, sorry. But here you go. It’s just a small piece of foam with the thumb stick pushed through which doesn’t really protrude or otherwise get in the way of the new stick. Using an oversize piece will give more resistance which I’ll try at some point but at the moment I’m happy with it.

DBE03581-A488-4680-B156-F351E3F1DFAF.thumb.jpeg.4c0cf4d15f0990dd384cd0293cee5ef7.jpeg

B0C15F14-379E-4008-AE0C-7D0DB264DBCB.thumb.jpeg.dc3795d1b905e80c01477039ee089003.jpeg

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

As an update to my previous post, I was able to squeeze the Teensy 3.2 into the throttle lever, even with 28 headers soldered on. Only 8 pins are needed: 2 for power, 2 for I2C, and 4 for the force sensor, but I've had this Teensy for a while now so all the pins have headers. It's a tight fit inside the throttle and I had to turn it sideways to clear the screw holes, but it does fit.

I also played around with the clock speeds. At 96 MHz, 72 MHz and 48 MHz, the Teensy has no problems communicating with the throttle, but at 24 MHz and below it completely doesn't work. I also tried the ATTiny85 at 16 MHz. Surprisingly, the throttle does receive something from it, but it seems to be garbled as the axes just jumps around to random values despite me sending it a fixed value every time the throttle requests data. My shot-in-the-dark theory is that the throttle is toggling between reading the X value and the Y value on a fixed clock, and if the I2C slave doesn't send data over fast enough, the throttle just ignores it.

In any case, I set the Teensy to 72 MHz and just used map(analogRead(pin), 0, 1023, -128, 127) and send this directly to the throttle. After using the calibration tool, the throttle will properly take into account any off-center drift, and will also scale the calibrated value to go from -100% to 100% so that, for example, if your sensor only goes from -50 to 50, this is scaled out correctly and you still get the full range (albeit at a lower resolution). You can do these things within the Teensy as well, but it doesn't seem like it's necessary.

Speaking of calibration, I did run into one issue. I couldn't get the slider axis (the gray friction lever) to calibrate properly. It would be fine going from center to 0%, but from center going up, it would only get to around 53%. I first thought that the pot went bad, but after graphing its output voltage on an Arduino, it turns out it's completely fine. After wracking my head for options which included replacing it with a hall sensor and asking Thrustmaster for a new controller board, I stumbled on an unlikely solution: calibrate the axis backwards. When the calibration tool says to move it to INCR, I moved it to DECR, and vice versa. This seems to have done the job and I've regained the full range of the axis. Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue, but I hope this info helps anyone that does.

One other nugget that might be useful: if you want to use the slider for something like radar elevation, but don't like how it has a fairly wide deadzone around the center detent, just set TrimCenDZ to 0x00 in A10_calibration.txt before calibrating. This gets rid of the deadzone.

For the Ultra 462 force sensor, I also picked up the matching concave joystick control knob. RS Components sells it on their website, but if you're trying to buy it from the US, they'll redirect you to their US partner, Allied Electronics, who doesn't carry it. I ended up working around this by selecting "Other Countries" under North America on their region selection page, then purchasing it from that site. They will ship it out from the UK with no issues. Here's the direct link for anyone who's interested:

https://export.rsdelivers.com/product/ultra-electronics/3625012-3/concave-joystick-thumb-control-knob/0419665

It costs a pretty penny at $50 USD and $20 USD for shipping, but it saves you from having to 3D print a hat and tap it for set screws, and it also looks very similar to the real deal. The set screws it uses needs a 0.9mm hex key though, and I never realized there exists a hex key this small.

Bottom line is, if you want a force sensor and if Delta ever does another run, jump on it. Doing it by yourself requires a serious time commitment, the proper tools and components, and the know-how to put it all together. I was eyeing the force sensor ever since he listed it on eBay, and through the first and second runs. By the time I decided I wanted one, they were all gone, and I had to build one myself at high expense. For the price he was selling them for, he was practically selling them at cost. He's not doing this to make a buck, he's doing it because he wants people to have a useful slew cursor.

Edited by Ranma13

In any case, I set the Teensy to 72 MHz and just used map(analogRead(pin), 0, 1023, -128, 127) and send this directly to the throttle.

For the price he was selling them for, he was practically selling them at cost. He's not doing this to make a buck, he's doing it because he wants people to have a useful slew cursor.

Thanks Ranma, I really appreciate your effort and I’m glad you were able to get it working, well done! :thumbup:

Just a quick note, since writing the Instructables page I have noticed that the throttle only actually accepts values from -127 to 127, -128 will overflow the axis and it will go to +127. This should never be an issue unless the absolute maximum value is reached which probably won’t happen in normal use.

map(analogRead(pin), 0, 1023, -128, 127)

should be -

map(analogRead(pin), 0, 1023, -127, 127)

Funny story - I only noticed that because the Dutch really like to irradiate everything going into the country with x-rays, there’s a story for a rainy day in that somewhere.

You are correct that I barely made anything on the force sensors, at one point I was thinking I might actually lose money -but I just about broke even in the end. :)

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

Received mine today and have it installed! I'll let you know what my experiences are later tonight.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Would have been nice

I should have gotten mine today, and should be installing it right now, but our fine USPS decided to give it to some random stranger in my neighborhood who was more than happy to wander by and sign for it. I know for a fact that they will have no idea what it is, and it is of absolutely no use to them for anything. All that work gone to waste. Round two will not be shipped here again.

Well it’s bedtime and I’ll post a few thoughts. Cursor is very smooth and easy to vary speeds on. Much more precise than the default nub and comparable to the TDCs on the TWCS and Cougar.

One thing I tried out that I was NOT happy with was trying to designate an AUTO bombing target in the Hornet HUD. I’m putting that on ED and not on Delta, though, for two reasons.

1) it’s early access and I’ve read several other complaints about this issue, and

2) the cursor is VERY smooth in controlling the Hornet’s radar.

I haven’t had the chance to try any other aircraft out yet.

One issue I noticed is that when the cursor hits travel limits it scrapes some against the plastic of the piece the two screws go into. I take that as being an effect of one 3D printed part rubbing against another. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

My only other thing is the design of the pop-on cursor cap that you actually move around. I hope there will be an option in the future to get one more like the real thing. There’s nothing WRONG with this choice, but personal preference, I’d rather have something more realistic. To each his own.

Thanks, Delta! Great job.

Edited by RogueSqdn
Typo

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Well it’s bedtime and I’ll post a few thoughts. Cursor is very smooth and easy to vary speeds on. Much more precise than the default nub and comparable to the TDCs on the TWCS and Cougar.

One thing I tried out that I was NOT happy with was trying to designate an AUTO bombing target in the Hornet HUD. I’m putting that on ED and not on Delta, though, for two reasons.

1) it’s early access and I’ve read several other complaints about this issue, and

2) the cursor is VERY smooth in controlling the Hornet’s radar.

I haven’t had the chance to try any other aircraft out yet.

One issue I noticed is that when the cursor hits travel limits it scrapes some against the plastic of the piece the two screws go into. I take that as being an effect of one 3D printed part rubbing against another. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution.

My only other thing size is the design of the pop-on cursor cap that you actually move around. I hope there will be an option in the future to get one more like the real thing. There’s nothing WRONG with this choice, but personal preference, I’d rather have something more realistic. To each his own.

Thanks, Delta! Great job.

Thanks RogueSqdn, good to hear your happy overall!

I have noticed there can be a small "burr" of plastic on the very corner of the front plate that can cause the movement to be a little rough at first- I have found it usually wares in with some use and get smoother.

I will keep an eye out in the future to make sure it does not become a bigger issue. If it continues to be a issue I might make a minor design change to add a small chamfer on the plastic parts which should help.

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

Just dropping by to say I got mine installed just fine. The calibration wouldn't stay centered until I ran the calibration a 3rd time (3rd times the charm eh?), but all is perfect now. It's just a much better slew overall, and it is stunning that TM didn't do this in the first place. Brilliant work Deltaalphalima1!

Just wanted to add my thanks and congrats to Deltaalphalima1 - this is a superb mod, beautifully designed and works a treat. The build quality is excellent, and the telling thing for me, was realising how lightweight and crappy the original equipment is. When you remove the original slew controller, you'll understand what I'm talking about - it weighs next to nothing and is cheap, crappy plastic.

The installation instructions are great and the install was easy.

Like a few others, I had some issues with the initial calibration - not sure what I did, but tried a few times (to calibrate) and it eventually found itself centered. Like someone else mentioned, I also inverted the vertical Y axis for a better result (for me) and I also added in a tiny (4-I think) deadzone. It works REALLY well - I highly recommend this to anyone with a Warthog.

Thanks again.

I've had the mixed fortune to find this thread now, right after the X/Y portion of my slew control died (the button press still works) after replacing the main right throttle cable for the second time. I'll certainly be jumping on the next batch for a replacement instead of springing for an entirely new throttle just to get the cheapest part on the whole thing functioning again. Should be able to order again in a few weeks, yes?

Another glowing review for Deltaalphalima1. Got my slew upgrade in today, put it in and the control is just worlds different. There is so much precision and speed when you want it. Has changed my warthog completely and I'm looking forward to flying much more now. Bravo sir. Bravo.

Hi all,

Just received and installed my Deltaalphalima1 analog slew. Wow ! What a difference !! So many dead SU 27s !!

One point to note is that after calibrating 3 times with the supplied calibration software, the sensor would not centre and the TDC Cursor would constantly drift on the radar in the F-18.

The solution for me was to go into the Windows Game Controller Setup and then select the throttle > Properties > Settings > Reset to Default.

As soon as I did that, the sensor was centred within the DCS Axis Controls.

I did the above after I had calibrated the sensor, but maybe it should be done before.

Anyway, working perfectly now.

Edited by speedbird5

I just received today my thumbstick, but I find that the webpage with the instructions (www.deltasimelectronics.com/install-instructions) is not working, it redirects me to "https://deltasimelectronics.com/password". Any help please?

EDIT: I found it in the search engine cache.

Sorry about that - it's fixed now for anyone who needs it :)

There is also a very limited number in stock that will ship next week, be quick if you want one. More coming in August.

So, I have installed the mod and tried it for a couple of hours in the A-10C and the F-15 and really, this is what should have come from TM in the control set. It works flawlessly, just perfect. DAL1, you are the man! :)

BTW, for me it has calibrated without problem at the first try.

About the ergonomics, the piece does not slip like it happens sometimes with the little original nipple. It never hits the Coolie hat, although your finger could contact a bit with it at full deflection to the right, but anyway you will never move it. The control surface is somewhat smaller than the original one (I mean the actual form the A-10) just to avoid that collision but it does not feel extremely small under the finger. I just have the sensation that it is a bit deep, but as I said it does not slip and overall the ergonomics are just awesome.

Aesthetically the material and color are somewhat different from the original throttle (more granulated, matte finish and less deep black). Not that it matters much, because anyway it is in the front of the set and you don't get to see it much, but DAL1, for the future, if you find a material a bit more similar for those two pieces that are visible, it would improve even more the good impressions of the mod.

About the two external pieces (round and square), I have used the square one because otherwise in the corners I don't think it could register max deflection for both axes at the same time with the round one.

There you go, another happy client. :) I am going to recommend this mod to all my friends, the change is like night and day.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry about that - it's fixed now for anyone who needs it :)

There is also a very limited number in stock that will ship next week, be quick if you want one. More coming in August.

I will for sure be ordering one of these in August when you have some more...

It is a much needed upgrade for the Thrustmaster.

Edited by Manhorne

Delta what is the usually ship time to the USA, I think .one went out on July 5th.

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals

Delta what is the usually ship time to the USA, I think .one went out on July 5th.

Usual shipping to the USA is around 1-3 weeks. It mostly depends on how fast they get through customs. I have had a few orders that have taken over 3 weeks to arrive, but some have got there in less than 1.

Let me know if it doesn’t get to you next week, and I will try and help :)

Just another endorsement: I received the ALPS-based slew upgrade kit from Deltaalphalima1, installation was pretty straightforward, and it works really nicely! This truly is what should have been on the warthog throttle to begin with, that original slew sensor was a real letdown. Highly recommended upgrade! :thumbup:

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Number #100 off the production line :thumbup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=190445&stc=1&d=1532180910

Thanks to everyone who has bought one or supported this. It’s great to hear your feedback and I am always taking onboard any suggestions for improvements.

Here's to the next 100 :beer:

IMG_20180721_143937.thumb.jpg.94382098717de9cc47b900d4a110d8f4.jpg

I received my alps sensor too and modded my 2008'ish WH throttle and it works like a charm!

Real genuine piece of hardware.

I had to go through the WH dance though, but my guess is because my WH is so old. But once i found my old laptop with USB 2.0, got my throttle firmware updated and calibrated, it was good to go.

Anyway, this is an issue with old Thrustmaster gear and new mobo's, and not related to this mod.

Highly recommended.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Got my analog version in the mail this friday and installed it yesterday. A bit fiddly getting the old shit-nipple out but a very straight forward installation. And what an upgrade ... oh man. After just 10 minutes of some A-10C action and some curvature tweaking it's as perfect as one could wish. No more camera-randomly-stops-slewing and back'n'forth to get the crosshairs on exactly where you want it to be.

Worth every penny and strongly recommend it to anyone not happy with the original slew.

GREAT job Delta and even tho I'm an atheist, you're doing gods work here :)