[PG] MiG-29 Practice Missions at Iran

Rudel_chw

Hello,

I've been practicing this last couple of months with the new MiG-29 set on the Persian Gulf Map, and during this process managed to edit several Missions that I've really enjoyed, and now just wanted to share them with the Community.

WvJAMGC.jpg

These Missions are set on 1991 and I take the place of an iranian pilot transitioning from the F-4 onto the then new MiG-29A, and thus have to practice navigation and weapons training. There are 15 missions in total and you can download them from this link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303214/

To install, simply uncompress on /saved games/dcs/ or /saved games/dcs.openbeta/ whichever you have. The missions will be visible on Dcs menu: Missions -> My Missions.

The file is a bit large at 147 MB, that's because each missions include a custom kneeboard and also because the missions use the excellent iranian liveries made by @sadjad-vosoul and he has kindly allowed me to include the skins within the download, to ease the install and have one less item for the users to go hunting for :)

As the intended use of the missions is to practice, I've tried to setup goals in such a way that the pilot can gauge its progress, like this:

P3AVBHH.jpg

For the weapons training I also make uso of @Ciribob's excellent Range script, to allow the trainee to see his accuracy:

t6pFsPf.jpg

To increase the immersion of these missions, I make use of several Mods ... all of them are easy to install and since they go into the Saved Games filetree:

TqtSmGu.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to include the Mods within my Zip file, so you will need to download them separately ... the Mods are the following:

Updated for DCS 2.5.5:

Mods Used on every mission:

1) VPC Airfield Scenery Mod: This Mod is currently not compatible with the latest DCS version (2.5.5), however here you can download a patched version that is indeed compatible, tough it does trigger the Multiplayer Integrity Check, so those of you who do Multiplayer may wish to install it using a Mod Manager, to easily disable it when needed ... here is the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26hZVnryP086dpb6CrxA?e=pxqKWR I will update this link once the Mod's author has an updated version available.

2) Suntsag's excellent Multinational Soldier Mod, can be obtained here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223659

Mod used on the Air-Ground missions:

3) 476th Range Objects: Can be downloaded here: http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php?254-Air-Weapons-Range-Objects

The next Mod is only used on a single mission, the Intercept Practice:

4) The amazing Civil Aircrafts Mod can be downloaded here: https://cam.em-key.de/download-2/

EHqEUIA.jpg

The next Mod is no longer needed for my missions:

5) Ranger79's Mod Pack

Well, that should be all .. let's hope I'm not forgetting a Mod here :)

Please enjoy and let me know if you have any trouble with the missions.

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Really nice, will try as soon as I have the PG map.

Hopefully there will be a Sale at the end of December ... I could have put these missions on Caucasus, but I'm a bit tired of always playing the Russians (no offense, ED :) ) ... the oportunity to play as Iranian was too good to ignore :D

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Looking to trying these, and you're offering us the right stuff : new settings, new country, new MiG , with scoring of results!

Many thanks ,

You are welcome .. I've received a couple of MP asking for a list of the missions that the zip includes, here it is :)

hwl8emA.jpg

Best regards

... the oportunity to play as Iranian was too good to ignore :D

And it also leaves an opportunity to train and compare with Tomcats in the same area, hopefully soon :D

Thanks a lot for the missions, Rudel! :)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

You also need this mod, which makes it quite a lot of mods...

https://virpil.com/en/news/58-vpc-airfield-equipment-dlya-dcs-world

Great idea to have included the procedures!

Just a few typos with the units:

"1000 mts AGL & 700 KM/h max" -> I suppose it's "1000 m" (metres, the standard unit), and "700 km/h" (lower-case for k and m) ;)

Well, I need to review how the waypoints are navigated with the Fulcrum, I missed some of them by way too much. Keeping the circuit altitude isn't easy on this airplane either! :D

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

You also need this mod, which makes it quite a lot of mods...

https://virpil.com/en/news/58-vpc-airfield-equipment-dlya-dcs-world

I did state that its needed, in fact its at the top of the list, tough I suggested you download it from its author’s site: http://kregred.smile-pilots.ru/index.php/en/

Great idea to have included the procedures!

Glad you liked them, its a translation to english of my spanish version of the procedures :)

Just a few typos with the units:

"1000 mts AGL & 700 KM/h max" -> I suppose it's "1000 m" (metres, the standard unit), and "700 km/h" (lower-case for k and m) ;)

Thanks for pointing it out, tough I probably wont be updating these missions for some time, as now I intend to do a set of missions for the new version of the C101 .. set on the Persian Gulf as a Jordanian unit on exchange training with Iran’s Air Force :D

Well, I need to review how the waypoints are navigated with the Fulcrum, I missed some of them by way too much. Keeping the circuit altitude isn't easy on this airplane either! :D

:) the scoring is a very nice encouragement to fly with more precision, it helped me a lot to really fly well the MiG, tough crosswind landing is still hard for me.

For the speed I had the trouble that the mission editor handles only ground speed, while the MiG show the user indicated speed, and it’s thus difficult to check correct speed within the triggers.

Best regards

Mh, that's true about the "missing" mod, I'm not sure why I didn't get this one in my downloaded files the first time, please disregard what I said.

Perhaps it's possible to get the IAS from the "cockpit argument". For example, the MiG-21 can be checked with a "COCKPIT ARGUMENT IN RANGE(100, min, max, "")", where min or max are between 0 and 1, and 100 is the value for the IAS indicator.

I don't know the value for the Flanker. Usually it's in the mainpanel_init.lua, or in another script of the module, but there is very little for this FC3 jet, probably because it's simplified.

• 6 months later...

Since i got the PG map recently, i wanted to give your mission set a go. But i get mission load errors because of missing files from Ranger79's Mod Pack, Suntsag's excellent Multinational Soldier Mod and And last but not least, the amazing Civil Aircrafts Mod. Before i go on a hunting spree on my end to sherlock what might be wrong with my installation folder placement (dcs main folder via ovgme vs savedgames), could you please try loading 2-3 different missions on your end to make sure that those mods and the party you used for your missions is not broken? Afaik, the latest updates for the beta and stable branch broke a lot of mods, including virpils airports assets and the 476th range objects, the latter was already fixed. Likely that some stuff from the first three mods got broken as well.

EDIT: so i really had to put Suntsag's excellent Multinational Soldier Mod into .../savedgames/.... folder and not put iva OvGME into the maid dcs installation folder. The other two mods seem to work just fine through OvGME. The 476th range objects as well as Virpils stuff needs to go into savedgames any, where i have had it installed anyway.

Now, leaving IC checks and multiplayer aside, i never understood why some mods only work when placed in ....savedgames and not if placed in the DCS main folder? Cam anyone enlighten me as to how this differs? The folder structure seems to me exactly the same, and mods show up under the module tab either way, and still often only the ...savedgames isntallation works when actually loading a mission. What gives?

Edited by sc_neo

Since i got the PG map recently, i wanted to give your mission set a go.

:) thanks a lot for trying them

But i get mission load errors because of missing files from Ranger79's Mod Pack, Suntsag's excellent Multinational Soldier Mod and And last but not least, the amazing Civil Aircrafts Mod.

I dont remember having used Ranger79's Mod on these missions, tough I may be wrong as I havent flown them this year. I did use Suntsag's Nato Soldier Mod (for his version of Iranian soldiers :) ), the 476th Target Range Mod and VirPil's Airfield scenery Mod.

Fortunately, the 476th was recently updated and it should work, but Rangers Mod is a no go and I will edit the mission to remove its units if there are any. The VPC Mod was patched by its original author, but there is no fixed version ready for unload ... I will upload my fixed version of his Mod (with his permission) to be used while he finished a new version of his outstanding Mod. The Civil Aircrafts were not affected by the recent DCS changes, but I will test to be sure.

Before i go on a hunting spree on my end to sherlock what might be wrong with my installation folder placement (dcs main folder via ovgme vs savedgames), could you please try loading 2-3 different missions on your end to make sure that those mods and the party you used for your missions is not broken?

I will check all of them during the week-end and then upload a fixed version .. I will let you know on this thread and by PM as soon as they are ready :)

Afaik, the latest updates for the beta and stable branch broke a lot of mods ...

Yes, it is a real shame .. I miss a lot of Mods that I used for fleshing out my WW2 and Cold War missions, like the WW2 ships, the Bell 47 helo, and others ... some have been fixed tough, like the B-29, but I'm sure that some will be lost forever :(

EDIT: so i really had to put Suntsag's excellent Multinational Soldier Mod into .../savedgames/.... folder and not put iva OvGME into the maid dcs installation folder.

All the Mods that I use are for use from the /Saved Games/ folder .. it is a much cleaner way to use them .. but I still use OvGME for that type of Mods as it allow me to easily have a no-Mods DCS whenever I'm trying to diagnose a crash.

Now, leaving IC checks and multiplayer aside, i never understood why some mods only work when placed in ....savedgames and not if placed in the DCS main folder? Cam anyone enlighten me as to how this differs? The folder structure seems to me exactly the same, and mods show up under the module tab either way, and still often only the ...savedgames isntallation works when actually loading a mission. What gives?

I really dont know enough about this subject ... I do prefer to use /Saved games/ for every Mod except those that really need to modify DCS' files rather than add new files, like for example the Sound Mods or the Terrain texture Mods. On this thread is everything I learned about this subject:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190778

Now, I will fix my missions over the week end and get back here once they are ready,

Cheers :)

Thanks for the comprehensive ansewr :) I will try to find out what the difference between savedgames and main folder actually is in regards to those problems.

Anyway, i think i might not have been clear enough in my EDIT before: you missions seem to work after i had removed Suntsag's excellent Multinational Soldier Mod via OvGME and copied it to savedgames. After doing that, i did not get any of the loading error for the other mods anymore, even though i have placed them in the main folder via OvGME.

You saind Ranger's mod pack is a no go, and not used for your missions? It clearly states and links to them in the OP though. You sure about not needing Ranger's stuff to run your missions?

That i am even dabbling about OvGME vs savedgames...i run DCS on a 500gb ssd, but savedgames on c is naturally quite small, just a 128gb ssd, with not too much spare space. And some of the mods are quite big, two of them being almost 2gb each.

You saind Ranger's mod pack is a no go, and not used for your missions? It clearly states and links to them in the OP though. You sure about not needing Ranger's stuff to run your missions?

I’m not sure, but I will delete any of Ranger’s objects if needed, so that the Mod isnt needed anymore, afterwards I will update the OP.

...i run DCS on a 500gb ssd, but savedgames on c is naturally quite small, just a 128gb ssd, with not too much spare space. And some of the mods are quite big, two of them being almost 2gb each.

You could relocate Saved Games onto a folder of the 500 GB unit, that can be done trough Windows, right clicking on Saved Games -> Properties -> Location

Give it a try, it’s simple and effective.

Eduardo.

Haha wow, moving SavedGames to my D drive, that's neat move. I did just that, thanks for the tip. I wished i had known that for years...i don't know, that functionality actually is not even hidden, you just need to open your eyes and check the settings for once i guess :) Until now, i used symbolic links to get this job done. I had this setup for Arma 3, and in particular for arma 3's workshop integreation so i could have it installed on my one and only ssd c drive back in the day, but keep the mods on my big hdd. But every one and then that linking was lost and steam's workshop felt the urgent need to redownload ten of gbs of mods!

Anyway, relocating savedgames to my big ssd sovles this entire debate, savedgames vs OvGME style mod handling for me. May i ask, you said twice that you are going to remove ranger's modpack from your missions. Anything wrong with his mods? I did not yet myself encounter an issue with his pack, just curious what might be up with this stuff.

I had no idea that the latest patch has killed off a number of mods (again :music_whistling: ) but thanks for drawing it to our attention - not tried the new FC3 aircraft yet, so will be a good opportunity to do so with Rudel's missions - thanks for your efforts :thumbup:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

... May i ask, you said twice that you are going to remove ranger's modpack from your missions. Anything wrong with his mods? I did not yet myself encounter an issue with his pack, just curious what might be up with this stuff.

I actually loved Ranger79's mod pack, but the update to DCS 2.5.5 rendered the Mod unusable as most of its objects are invisible and cant be seen .. I havent tested all the objects of the Pack, but for example the AirForce One, the C-5 Galaxy, the desert HMMV, the Dodge pickup, etc, are all affected.

The Mod can be fixed to work on the new version of DCS, by regenerating the 3D shapes files (*.EDM) that the mod has ... however, only the original Mod author can do this, as it requires the original 3D files (usually made on 3D StudioMax format) ... several authors have done this, for example @Snoopy at 476th VFG, @voc for the VPC Airfield Mod, etc ...

... but there are authors that are no longer with us, for example @Lilkiki, or authors that dont have the time to regenerate lots of 3D files, or that have lost their original 3D files on computer upgrades ... so there will be Mods that will not be fixed.

I sent a Message to Ranger79 asking if he would be fixing his mod, but he hasnt answered yet, so I assume that he will not :( ... thus I have no option but remove from my Missions all of the objects of this Mod that I used.

Edit: Fortunately, even tough most missions have hundred of units, ED has provided an easy way to check which Mod a units belongs, so the Mod's objects are easy to find, and delete, like this:

xQFO8Xz.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Rudel_chw

But, if Ranger's stuff doesn't cause any error when loading the mission and no issues during actual playing it, than the enduser wouldn't notice anything is wrong, since the the modded things are just invisible, right? Or are you talking about textures on othert objects that are missing and the player only sees this yellow/green hex pattern?

What i mean, if it doesn't cause issues right now, i'd wait a couple more weeks, maybe ranger is on vacation or whatever and might come back and fix it. Last time he posted here seems to be in early June, so not that long ago.

But, if Ranger's stuff doesn't cause any error when loading the mission and no issues during actual playing it, than the enduser wouldn't notice anything is wrong, since the the modded things are just invisible, right?

Right, but I really strive to edit the Missions using the minimum amount of Mods possible, and I'm not sure if there are other side effects beyond being invisible ... havent tested what happens when the objects are hit by enemy weapons, so it's easier for me to just delete the objects, as their use is mostly for mission ambiance.

What i mean, if it doesn't cause issues right now, i'd wait a couple more weeks, maybe ranger is on vacation or whatever and might come back and fix it. Last time he posted here seems to be in early June, so not that long ago.

If hopefully he does update the Mod, then I will start using it again, for now I prefer to only use Mods that I'm sure do work on DCS latest version without issue.

:)

I’m not sure, but I will delete any of Ranger’s objects if needed, so that the Mod isnt needed anymore, afterwards I will update the OP.

Hello all,

I've updated the first post, as the Ranger's Mod Pack is no longer needed, and I've also added a link to a patched version of the VPC Airfield Objects mod that runs well with DCS 2.5.5 or later ... unfortunately it triggers the IC check, so it has to be disabled if you want to go Multiplayer .. I use OvGME as Mod manager, to make it easy to disable this kind of Mods whenever I want to Multiplay.

I've learned a lot of DCS Mission Editing since I first created these Missions, so after seeing them during this Mod checking, I decided that I wanted to update the missions themselves, to improve their trigger logic and icorporate all the experience that I gained with the similar Missions that I made afterwards for the C-101 and MiG-19.

I'm on the process of updating them .. so far I've updated until Mission 8 .. I expect to be able to update the rest during this week and hopefully upload an updated version on the next week-end.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Great news...i surely give them a go once you are done and happy with the result. Maybe i can drow some inspiration from your missions and put something together alike for the Harrier. I guess trying to port baltic dragons training missions to NTTR is a step too far for me right now and maybe even not as useful as i think. For actual training of skill missions without explanatory voiceovers and the training mission pause/spacebar loop are usually better. I am curious how you setup those immersion mods like the VPC stuff. I'd be cool to use the civil aircraft mod to have some immersive non military flights going on during those missions.

Great news...i surely give them a go once you are done and happy with the result.

:) yeah, Mission Editing is a lot like learning to fly a plane .. the longer you edit, the more you learn and the better the results .. when I was looking at this missions again, after a year, I was appaled at how primitive my triggers were, couldnt resist the temptation of re-editing them to get them up to the same standard of my current missions .. I even left the Hornet aside for a while, as I cant bear to leave these missions like they are .. I expect to finish this update on the next week-end.

Maybe i can drow some inspiration from your missions and put something together alike for the Harrier. I guess trying to port baltic dragons training missions to NTTR is a step too far for me right now and maybe even not as useful as i think.

A real training mission is really difficult and should be the task of the plane developer, as they have the information needed for correctly highlighting the cockpit controls and detecting when the user clicks on them ... for us it would be kind of reverse engineer the cockpit LUAs

That's why I prefer to focus on practice missions .. for these you can assume that the player has already done the Training and what he actually needs is a Mission where he can put to practice the skills he learned.

I am curious how you setup those immersion mods like the VPC stuff. I'd be cool to use the civil aircraft mod to have some immersive non military flights going on during those missions.

The Mods are really easy to install, most of them go into either /saved games/dcs/Mods/tech (for the scanery objects) or /saved games/dcs/Mods/aircraft (for new aircrafts, like those of CAM) ... if you dont do multiplayer, you can just copy them manually just once and that's all ... else, you do need a Mod Manager .. I use this one: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182827

Cheers!

Eduardo.

Rudel_chw said:

... I'm on the process of updating them .. so far I've updated until Mission 8 .. I expect to be able to update the rest during this week and hopefully upload an updated version on the next week-end.

Hi all,

Well, it took longer than I anticipated, but I've finally updated all the missions of this Set, the new version is on the same User File: 🙂

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303214/

Remember to download the Mods again, as many have been updated (the VPC Airfield, 476th Target Range and the Nato Soldier Mod).

Here is a video with the gameplay of one of the missions, to show how one goes about selecting the aircraft to fly:

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw