[COMING LATER] ATFLIR

Nospin44

I understand that we are waiting for the FLIR overhaul for DCS before we will see the ATLFIR for the F18. After many months of the general response "Its in the works" was hoping maybe Wags or ED would enlighten us with a bit more detail? Kind of like in the mini updates maybe get a glimpse into what's actually being worked on. (screenshots, more info,) This maybe a farcry but thought it was worth asking. In my opinion this is the single biggest update the Hornet is waiting on to really make our bird a true strike aircraft.

On a side note, I am not all trying to whine or complain about release times. I fully understand this is a ways off. Just wish we had some more insight on the new system is all.

Edited by Nospin44

Link 16 is a sort of datalink where you and other aircraft/awacs/ground forces share a sort of digital representation of whats going on around you(enemies,ground target,friendlies,ect)

Cool, and SA?

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

Link 16 and the SA page will allow us to do to the Sukhois and MiG-29's and even the Mirages what they've been doing to us, taking advantage of terrain, sneaking up and shoving a missile into us. We've been depending on AWACS calls and blasting around with our radars on like suicidal stooges trying to find fools.

The game will even itself out a bit. All the FC3 poachers will be crying into their pillows because they can't run the score up anymore.

Sounds like AirQuake to me rdlaugh.png

But finally we will be able to spot contacts without using F5 and labels in at least one module in DCS then twi-notbad.png

Looking forward to get the ATFLIR twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Its sort of the same. The link 16 information is displayed over the SA page (Or Situational Awareness page). You will see there other hornets, A10C, Bandits from an Awacs, Even SAM rings from preplanned SAM sites.

Is Link 16 and/or SA similar to AWACS' PICTURE request?

Its sort of the same. The link 16 information is displayed over the SA page (Or Situational Awareness page). You will see there other hornets, A10C, Bandits from an Awacs, Even SAM rings from preplanned SAM sites.

The A-10 uses SADL which isn’t compatible with link 16. They can’t talk to each other unless there is an intermediary such as a BACN aircraft.

Is Link 16 and/or SA similar to AWACS' PICTURE request?

Sort of, I haven't read up on the Hornet and Link 16, as it's classified, I'm not sure how much is/can be modelled in DCS and there seem to be numerous versions/upgrades.

AFAIK :

Link 16 is the data protocol (like the A-10C's SADL) that's lets information be shared i.e. your GPS position, a air or ground target, waypoint/markpoint, etc.

The SA page (a little like the HSI/moving map) is on the Hornet's DDI and where the data is displayed graphically. Not only will it display the position of targets locked by yourself but also also contacts/threats shared by wingmen or AWACS on the same NET.

This means that with Radar silent, you'll still have SA of any contacts ahead being tracked by AWACS or if you need to 'reset' and put a bandit on your six (to disengage), you keep SA as long as the bandit is being tracked by AWACS, etc.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Yeah think of link 16 as a military wifi network where all units with the capability can push there tactical picture or data and receive with all units within the network.

For example Ships, Aircraft etc share data to increase the real time wide area picture.

I am also very much looking forward to ATFLIR closely followed by Harpoon, I fear that both are a ways off though.

Edited by Miasma

When there is news on the ATFLIR, we will certainly discuss. I think we've been pretty open talking about new Hornet features when there is news to share.

LOL ^^^ He's right you know :music_whistling:

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

Yeah think of link 16 as a military wifi network where all units with the capability can push there tactical picture or data and receive with all units within the network.

For example Ships, Aircraft etc share data to increase the real time wide area picture.

I am also very much looking forward to ATFLIR closely followed by Harpoon, I fear that both are a ways off though.

I think the harpoon missile will even come out earlier than ATFLIR. The new weapon will be much simpler and easier to come out than the new sensor.