DCS 2.0 Nevada and VR state? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Skuzzlebutt

Reputation power: 0
Skuzzlebutt is on a distinguished road
Default DCS 2.0 Nevada and VR state?

So I've just upgraded my PC to beast mode specs with SLI MSi 1080s. I want something more immersive qnd right now I actually have nothing for head movement. Not even track IR or anything and I fly alot of formation stuff with friends and air refueling. So my question to you, the community, is how is DCS 2.0 Nevada doing in regards to either oculus or vive? I need to get some sort of tracking system so why not get vr? I've noticed 2.0 has been stuttering quite alot since I got my new build so I'm wondering if VR will be affected by that. So yes or no everyone. Go VR? Or just stick with track IR on my 27" monitor instead! Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful input.

PC specs are Intel i7-6850k, MSi gaming pro carbon mobo, SLI msi1080 gaming X versions, 250gb Samsung 960SSD and 1tb SSD Samsung evo, 32gb Ram corsair platinum.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
SW0RDF15H

Reputation power: 1
SW0RDF15H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
So I've just upgraded my PC to beast mode specs with SLI MSi 1080s. I want something more immersive qnd right now I actually have nothing for head movement. Not even track IR or anything and I fly alot of formation stuff with friends and air refueling. So my question to you, the community, is how is DCS 2.0 Nevada doing in regards to either oculus or vive? I need to get some sort of tracking system so why not get vr? I've noticed 2.0 has been stuttering quite alot since I got my new build so I'm wondering if VR will be affected by that. So yes or no everyone. Go VR? Or just stick with track IR on my 27" monitor instead! Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful input.

PC specs are Intel i7-6850k, MSi gaming pro carbon mobo, SLI msi1080 gaming X versions, 250gb Samsung 960SSD and 1tb SSD Samsung evo, 32gb Ram corsair platinum.

2.0 is a dream on VR. But SLI doesn't work in VR. The second card is probably what's giving you stuttering.

Make sure you enable the XMP profile on your RAM.

Turn in game 'shadows' down to low, 'visibility range' to medium, 'DOF' off, and max out everything else.

MAKE SURE VSYNC IS OFF!!!

Be very careful who you listen to on these forums, regarding hardware and performance. There's some awful advice going around and it can all get very toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/2167735/

SW0RDF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Cibit
Veteran

Reputation power: 39
Cibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post

Nice system and will definitely run either rift or vive. Nevada looks great in 2.0.5, with the power of your system it will look and run a hell of a lot better than it does on my machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW0RDF15H View Post
2.0 is a dream on VR. But SLI doesn't work in VR. The second card is probably what's giving you stuttering.

Make sure you enable the XMP profile on your RAM.

Turn in game 'shadows' down to low, 'visibility range' to medium, 'DOF' off, and max out everything else.

MAKE SURE VSYNC IS OFF!!!

Be very careful who you listen to on these forums, regarding hardware and performance. There's some awful advice going around and it can all get very toxic.
Thats quite a patronising statement. Most people who offer advice on these forums do so because they want to help even if sometimes the info is erroneous.
There are even parts of your advice that I would disagree with. For instance I don't use the XMP profile of my MOBO/RAM I set the overclock myself. I have my viewdistance set to high I have no shadows and 4x MSAA and 4x AF.

So Skuzzlebutt tweak your settings to suit your build and get a rift if you plan on using it for DCS primarily as this seems to be the best option though apparently the Vive is possibly a better bet for universal VR gaming.
This thread may help you
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182041

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
xrx

xrx is on a distinguished road

check: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180180
xrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #5
Cake

Reputation power: 5
Cake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrx View Post
Thanks for this thread and also this link.

I own the Nevada Map and all but a few of the aircraft modules. I'd been looking for recommended settings and maybe some kind of FAQ for RIFT users, but these topics are either thin or I'm having little luck looking for them.

I have a few questions. I'd like to get back into DCS and start by picking one of the versions and airplane modules and get comfortable flying it in all weather conditions before focusing on combat systems and tactics.

1. While we are waiting for unification in 2.5, which has the best rift experience, 1.5x or 2.0x?

2. Which modules work best with the RIFT at this point, particularly I'm interested on being able to read the avionics with RIFT to shoot approaches, etc without needing the keyboard? I'm ok if this is one of the trainer modules.
Cake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
dburne

Reputation power: 19
dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

I would highly recommend the Rift. Have had mine little over a month now, and am so loving it. No way could I fly a combat sim without VR now.

Your system can more than handle it, it will do great. As already mentioned, forget SLI for DCS in VR. You should not have any stutters at all. I run both 1.5 and 2.0 and it is totally stutter free.

You did not mention your controllers, you will want some programmable buttons/hats as using the keyboard will not be so easy.

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|TM Warthog+7.5cm Extension by Sahaj|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
xrx

xrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
Thanks for this thread and also this link.

I own the Nevada Map and all but a few of the aircraft modules. I'd been looking for recommended settings and maybe some kind of FAQ for RIFT users, but these topics are either thin or I'm having little luck looking for them.

I have a few questions. I'd like to get back into DCS and start by picking one of the versions and airplane modules and get comfortable flying it in all weather conditions before focusing on combat systems and tactics.

1. While we are waiting for unification in 2.5, which has the best rift experience, 1.5x or 2.0x?

2. Which modules work best with the RIFT at this point, particularly I'm interested on being able to read the avionics with RIFT to shoot approaches, etc without needing the keyboard? I'm ok if this is one of the trainer modules.
1: to keep it simple v1.5 has more popularity in multiplayer, although v2.0 has updated graphics particularly on terrain resolution

2: any modules will be fine in rift as far as avionics, its a preference for systems complexity, flight dynamics or model looks. I like A10c within rift well done.
xrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #8
Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrx View Post
1: to keep it simple v1.5 has more popularity in multiplayer, although v2.0 has updated graphics particularly on terrain resolution

2: any modules will be fine in rift as far as avionics, its a preference for systems complexity, flight dynamics or model looks. I like A10c within rift well done.
Thanks xrx.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:48 AM   #9
Kayos

Reputation power: 9
Kayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura about

M2000 & Viggen are amazing with the Rift.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #10
Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
M2000 & Viggen are amazing with the Rift.
Cool, I own the m2000, but not the Viggen yet. Dan'2 Haven't messed Keith it, but I assume it has TACAN or ILS/LOC/VOR/DME and its sounds like it can be flown with a easy mix of heads down in the instruments until the runway environment is observed,

I guess the key would be how easy it is to translate from heads in to visual and how legible the unstruments are using the rift.