Tip for increased performance - Use second PC as server!!! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
Art-J

Reputation power: 17
Art-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of light

As of now, technically, one can have multiple installs of DCS with one account on multiple PCs, but only as long as two computers do not run and log in the game at the same time. Which takes us to square one.

Flagrum, what You say makes sense for the aircraft, but still, the second computer needs a map and the campaign and there are no "server" versions of these. There is no such thing as "server account" anyway, that's why people have been hammering ED with ded server requests for years.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
cichlidfan
Veteran

Reputation power: 117
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPus View Post
I'm wondering, if this is possible using two physical machines communicating each other on top of a TCP/IP connection, wouldn't it be possible for the devs making this type of off-load in the same machine using spare CPU core(s)?

Wouldn't it be so much faster?
It could be faster. It definitely would require a major overhaul of the code, which would take a very long time.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #23
Pitot

Reputation power: 4
Pitot has a spectacular aura aboutPitot has a spectacular aura aboutPitot has a spectacular aura aboutPitot has a spectacular aura about

My DSL is such that I can't see the server PC from the one I want to "fly on". Tell me what to fix and can it be done without buying an additional router device. (Be advised: I can obtain the admin login credentials for DSL modem if I have to for advanced settings).
Old 02-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #24
Vitormouraa

Reputation power: 51
Vitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to beholdVitormouraa is a splendid one to behold

Error 404: Second PC not found.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #25
SW0RDF15H

Reputation power: 2
SW0RDF15H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitot View Post
My DSL is such that I can't see the server PC from the one I want to "fly on". Tell me what to fix and can it be done without buying an additional router device. (Be advised: I can obtain the admin login credentials for DSL modem if I have to for advanced settings).

Sounds strange. Shouldn't need a second router at all. I personally had to give each PC its own unique IP, rather than use DHCP.

Then you just connect via the local IP rather than finding it on the multiplayer browser window. Also, you can then uncheck the 'public match' box so you're running a LAN instead of being online for everyone to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/2167735/

SW0RDF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #26
paddyman

Reputation power: 14
paddyman is on a distinguished road

SW0RDF15H - I think you might be on the hook for creating a how to guide so everyone can test this idea
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #27
SW0RDF15H

Reputation power: 2
SW0RDF15H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyman View Post
SW0RDF15H - I think you might be on the hook for creating a how to guide so everyone can test this idea

Intending to do a video!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/2167735/

SW0RDF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #28
Frostie
Veteran

Reputation power: 102
Frostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW0RDF15H View Post
I don't think so, we don't have dedicated servers yet in 2.0, so you're forced to join as a client on both PCs, even if the server PC is just 'spectating'

Anyone can host a mp server for all modules with just the free DCS or terrain package.
"FROSTIE" #55
Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10
www.51st.org
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #29
OttoPus

Reputation power: 6
OttoPus will become famous soon enoughOttoPus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
It could be faster. It definitely would require a major overhaul of the code, which would take a very long time.
Well, the async management is already there, I don't see a "major overhaul" work to do.

I suspect that behind the scenes ED is already working on solutions like these to increase performance.

or they are waiting for consumer grade computer processing power stepping up through the years so no further optimization will be needed (joking of course)
OttoPus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #30
Fri13

Reputation power: 12
Fri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
Two accounts makes probably a lot of sense. But imo the server account should not need module licenses - or even flyable modules installed at all. On the server only AI is operating the aircraft ...
That is my opinion as well. Requiring an license to let clients to fly their owned modules is.... Well you guess... Of course I haven't tested it so I would find it odd if it is so.

Like why not just simply go and put the "no 3D rendering" for server anyways so you could get a any server to run it, increase the community etc possibilities.

Last edited by Fri13; 02-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote