SW0RDF15H is on a distinguished road

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/2167735/

SW0RDF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
Eihort

Reputation power: 13
Eihort has a spectacular aura aboutEihort has a spectacular aura aboutEihort has a spectacular aura aboutEihort has a spectacular aura aboutEihort has a spectacular aura about

I hope they keep trying to make the engine more streamlined and don't just stop with this.

Because now ED can just milk us for more money.
Eihort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #14
paddyman

Reputation power: 0
paddyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Swordfish, any guesstimate on the % increase you are likely to see with this method?, or do you have numbers?
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
SW0RDF15H

Reputation power: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyman View Post
Hi Swordfish, any guesstimate on the % increase you are likely to see with this method?, or do you have numbers?

I really can't say for sure. It removed an awful lot of hitching and stuttering for me on the larger, more complex missions. But I couldn't give you numbers as I'm using VR which is capped, obviously.

A while ago, I tested me theory by using DCS 1.5, which of course is free, so both computers could run it without me paying for extra copies of modules etc. I simply used the free SU-25t for testing and did so on standard monitors, not VR, and no vsync. I found that even without any other units or AI on the map (so just me in free flight), using the server method gave me something like 20 - 30% additional frames, at certain points. It's not necessarily a constant. It's when the power requirement is upped because of a given situation, like banking the aircraft at an angle that reveals more of the geometry at a distance, requiring more CPU effort, as an example.

This isn't a great indicator as DCS 1.5 is a completely different game, essentially. But it goes to show that you can save a lot of processing power by using a server.

Bear in mind though guys:

Anyone who doesn't have the absolute latest hardware will almost certainly be wasting their time regardless (I even spent £230 on the fastest RAM I could find, just to afford me an extra half-millisecond in frametime). You really do need the best of the best, with ovclocking on the CPU. No need to overclock the 1080gtx though - you can't get enough additional power to do anything meaningful with.

Last edited by SW0RDF15H; 02-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 29
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe I am missing a point here, but if you run DCS on two PCs - one as server and the other one as client - you need only module licenses for the client PC. The server PC running the mission just have to assign "Client" to the aircraft instead of "Player".

edit:
the exception probably being map modules, obviously.
The author of this posting can not be held responsible for the content, the layout, the typography or colouring of the posting above. This is a beta version of the text and may not represent the final form of the author's thoughts. Everthing is subject to change.

[Do you use a FFB device?]

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #17
SW0RDF15H

I tried this, but I was having all sorts of connection problems between the two PCs if I hadn't bought two copies of the modules. It could have been my error, but I doubt it. You used to be able to use the same account on both PCs, but ED changes something late last year to stop this from happening. I can assure you, you definitely need two copies of the Nevada map!! That one I can be certain of! Bit annoying!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #18
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 29
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

Two accounts makes probably a lot of sense. But imo the server account should not need module licenses - or even flyable modules installed at all. On the server only AI is operating the aircraft ...
The author of this posting can not be held responsible for the content, the layout, the typography or colouring of the posting above. This is a beta version of the text and may not represent the final form of the author's thoughts. Everthing is subject to change.

[Do you use a FFB device?]

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #19
SW0RDF15H

I don't think so, we don't have dedicated servers yet in 2.0, so you're forced to join as a client on both PCs, even if the server PC is just 'spectating'

Old 02-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
OttoPus

Reputation power: 5
OttoPus will become famous soon enoughOttoPus will become famous soon enough

I'm wondering, if this is possible using two physical machines communicating each other on top of a TCP/IP connection, wouldn't it be possible for the devs making this type of off-load in the same machine using spare CPU core(s)?

Wouldn't it be so much faster?
OttoPus is offline   Reply With Quote