Tip for increased performance - Use second PC as server!!! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
SW0RDF15H

Reputation power: 2
SW0RDF15H is on a distinguished road
Default Tip for increased performance - Use second PC as server!!!

Just FYI

ED have finally fixed AI problems when taking off from airfields in multiplayer / online, so it's now possible to use a second PC as a dedicated server to offload some of the work to, which allows massively increased performance (something I used to do in ARMA).

Any of you who have a second PC, give it a go. Just tested it with the F15 Red Flag campaign - Works brilliantly - no stutters, despite the huge number of objects.

You're welcome!

Thank you for finally fixing this ED.

PS - Make sure V-Sync is OFF: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182659

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/2167735/

Last edited by SW0RDF15H; 02-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.
SW0RDF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Hermit713

Reputation power: 1
Hermit713 is on a distinguished road

This would only work for the "HOST" correct?
Hermit713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
SW0RDF15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit713 View Post
This would only work for the "HOST" correct?
Not sure I understand you. You use a secondary PC to host a mission and connect with your main PC as a client (yes you do need two copies of the game now). By doing this, the host PC is forced to do some of the work, like AI (a big performance hog), which frees up a lot of headroom for your main (client) PC. This is a huge advantage when using VR, which I always do.

As an example, I was very disappointed when trying to play the F15 Red Flag campaign after buying it, because every few seconds / CPU cycle(s), I would get a momentary stutter, simply because of the huge amount of objects and AI being processed, despite my overclocked 6700k. With using the 'server method', that stutter is completely eradicated which means 90fps VR consistently in the Red Flag campaign, and any large, object heavy missions.

Try it and see. I would imagine even a laptop would serve as a good host machine, as it doesn't have an awful of work to do to host a game instance.

Obviously your main (client) PC needs some serious power, but the host machine really shouldn't require much.

Hope that helps

Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
gagipro

Reputation power: 8
gagipro has a spectacular aura aboutgagipro has a spectacular aura aboutgagipro has a spectacular aura aboutgagipro has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW0RDF15H View Post
Not sure I understand you. You use a secondary PC to host a mission and connect with your main PC as a client (yes you do need two copies of the game now). By doing this, the host PC is forced to do some of the work, like AI (a big performance hog), which frees up a lot of headroom for your main (client) PC. This is a huge advantage when using VR, which I always do.

As an example, I was very disappointed when trying to play the F15 Red Flag campaign after buying it, because every few seconds / CPU cycle(s), I would get a momentary stutter, simply because of the huge amount of objects and AI being processed, despite my overclocked 6700k. With using the 'server method', that stutter is completely eradicated which means 90fps VR consistently in the Red Flag campaign, and any large, object heavy missions.

Try it and see. I would imagine even a laptop would serve as a good host machine, as it doesn't have an awful of work to do to host a game instance.

Obviously your main (client) PC needs some serious power, but the host machine really shouldn't require much.

Hope that helps
Will try asap : thanks !
Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
paddyman

Reputation power: 0
paddyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the heads up.

Besides using up 2nd copy/license is there any other draw back of playing the game like this?.

Like many there is little i wouldn't do to gain more fps, especially with the VR headset on.
paddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
msalama

Reputation power: 31
msalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of light

IIRC there's also a way of turning the graphics rendering off altogether if you're running the thing as a server, but I can't remember how. Anyone?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
SW0RDF15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
IIRC there's also a way of turning the graphics rendering off altogether if you're running the thing as a server, but I can't remember how. Anyone?

Absolutely:

C: - Program Files - Eagle Dynamics - Alpha 2.0 - Config - graphics.lua - change 'Render3D = true' to 'false'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
SW0RDF15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyman View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Besides using up 2nd copy/license is there any other draw back of playing the game like this?.

Like many there is little i wouldn't do to gain more fps, especially with the VR headset on.
I can answer this:

Up until very recently, there was a huge drawback - AI units in your own group (wingman) would not take off from airfields, and any 'late activated' units starting from an airfield would not spawn in at all. I tested this with my 'server method' every time a new update came out for months and tried literally everything.

But now ED have fixed this bug finally and everything works flawlessly.

In particular, the F15 Red Flag campaign was the one thing I was desperate to run on a host server, because there is so many objects in the missions that I would get consistent stutters when running if on a single PC, even if the CPU wasn't missing the 11ms render target required for smooth 90fps. Now that the bugs I reported are fixed and can run it on a server ( without anything in the mission breaking ), everything is so, so much smoother. It's like night and day.

I've been in the best mood since yesterday after discovering this!!!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
bouncerj21

Reputation power: 6
bouncerj21 is on a distinguished road

Hi
Forgive me for the stupid question.
I have just tried this and am a little confused
I have downloaded DCS on a second PC and created another DCS login. I obviously have the free content that comes with the download.

If I want to use this method to host my downloaded Campaigns and other modules do I need to buy them again ?

Thanks
bouncerj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
SW0RDF15H

Yes, I'm afraid you do. You need two separate accounts on DCS, each with bought copies of the modules that you're using in your missions. It wasn't too bad for me, as I only fly the F15 on Nevada. So I had to buy the Nevada terrain twice, the f15 module twice, and the f15 red flag campaign twice. Worth it for those extra frame though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk