Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Pochi

Reputation power: 5
Pochi is on a distinguished road
Default FPS drop on airbase looking around

Hi,

After seaching the forum without getting the right answer, I am asking here :

I just upgraded to GTX1070 on my I5 6500K (4.4 ghz OC) 8GO ram setup.

I am really pleased with my performance so far as I can sustain 60fps in almost all situations. Except that when I am on the ground looking around at buildings or others aircrafts, my FPS drop at around 45 - 50 fps and panning with Trackir becomes sluggish.

Is it a known issue that FPS get hit on the ground even with aircraft not powered? Or is there any settings I can tweak to avoid that?

Currently my settings are :

Texture : High
Terrain Texture : High
Civ traffic : Low
Water : Medium
Visib range : High
Heatblur : low
Shadows : medium
res cockpit display : 512
MSAA 4X
HDR ON
Depth of Field OFF
Lens effet : dirt and flare

Clutter bushes : 700
Trees visibility : max
Preload radius : max

Af : 8X

Flat terrain shadows : ON

In Nvidia Inspector : I have Vsync Force ON (OFF In Game) and Sparse Grid Supersampling AA to 4X

I would be glad to know exactly what water and shadows settings do? What is the difference between low, medium and high?

Hope you can help me,

Best regards,

Pierre
Pochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
JG14_Smil

Reputation power: 20
JG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to JG14_Smil

Water is a bad one. It actually runs under the entire map so it is a big hit. Set it to low. Still looks good to me. Heat blur is not worth the melted HUD screens. I used to love the blur, no more.

Best post I have seen for optimizing is in the A-10 Forum Troubleshooting section. Lot s of things to try. DCS is very subjective so find what is best for you.

WIP Ka-50 and L-39 Cockpits
JG14_Smil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Art-J

Reputation power: 12
Art-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really nice

Preload radius and trees are very hardware demanding, especially on only 8GB system. Note that even default "high" preset doesn't have them on max, that's for a reason.

To compare, I still use my old GTX780, with settings pretty much as Yours except for preload and trees, which I have at default high (6000 and 9000, if I recall correctly?). On single 1200p monitor that yields stable 60 all around, with drops to 50-few at Batumi and Senaki (two most fps hungry airbases on Caucasus map).

Also, Sparse Grid Supersampling has always been a frame murderer, though I don't know how much it should affect such a hefty card like 1070.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
imacken

Reputation power: 1
imacken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG14_Smil View Post
Best post I have seen for optimizing is in the A-10 Forum Troubleshooting section. Lot s of things to try. DCS is very subjective so find what is best for you.
Which post are you referring to? There seems to be quite a few on this topic!
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
iborg

Reputation power: 2
iborg will become famous soon enoughiborg will become famous soon enoughiborg will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, playing MP in 2.5 (FS99th server), spawning in the Mirage at Nellis gave me extremely low framerate (4 fps, aka slideshow)... but closing the canopy made it back to normal.
iborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
Fab

Fab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
Preload radius and trees are very hardware demanding, especially on only 8GB system. Note that even default "high" preset doesn't have them on max, that's for a reason.

To compare, I still use my old GTX780, with settings pretty much as Yours except for preload and trees, which I have at default high (6000 and 9000, if I recall correctly?). On single 1200p monitor that yields stable 60 all around, with drops to 50-few at Batumi and Senaki (two most fps hungry airbases on Caucasus map).

Also, Sparse Grid Supersampling has always been a frame murderer, though I don't know how much it should affect such a hefty card like 1070.
Its his Graficcard, thats got 8GB, not his system. So preload should be set to max.

VAT The Black Widows
I´m in for a ride, a VR ride
DCS Oculus Rift Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
razo+r

Reputation power: 9
razo+r is a jewel in the roughrazo+r is a jewel in the roughrazo+r is a jewel in the roughrazo+r is a jewel in the roughrazo+r is a jewel in the roughrazo+r is a jewel in the roughrazo+r is a jewel in the rough

where are you when that happens and how many placed units are nearby?

also if it's in multiplayer, if the server is already running a long time with a lot of players (from time to time they crash near airports) can cause a lot of FPS drops.

Best example i have is on the Bruning skies server, where after a few hours, novo has either a lot of wrecks there or player, and both things can lead to FPS drop, but once you're away from it, the FPS get again up and stable
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Pochi

Reputation power: 5
Pochi is on a distinguished road

Hi and thank you for your help,

FPS drop occurs at Kobuleti (Warthog proficiency mission 1.2.2 by Gliptal), when looking towards aircrafts on the parking and airbase buidings in the background. You can test as it is really the begining of the misson, Aircraft powered off. 2 F16 and one UAV are starting rightaway and taxi in front of my A10. There are a dozens of airplanes at the park I guess.

I confirm that I only have 8go RAM in my system. Also 8go vram in the GTX. I play only single player so I think 8go is sufficent. It seems it uses around 60% of RAM during game.

I lowered water to low and dropped tree and preload radius a little. It is better but it seems that no matters what I lowers, I have this FPS drop from 5 to 10 below 60. It is sufficient to induce stutters because of Vsync (if I do not use Vsync I have screen tearing).

I guess I must live with it, if it is only at parking, it may not be a big deal. I thinks it is rather inherent to game optimization.

PS Is Windows task manager good enough to monitor RAM usage or do you advice another utility for that?

Pierre
Pochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
docWilly

docWilly will become famous soon enoughdocWilly will become famous soon enough

Pierre,

Kobuleti is known as frame rate hungry and I guess with AI moving around even more. The tearing is a different story and the stutters. Thats not a simple frame-rate issue. The human eye takes every rate above 30 as "smooth", so your issue is something else.

Just a thought: did you try it with NVidia inspector settings to stock? Sparse Grid SS killed me on my old system flying FSX there.
With my actual system I do not use Nvidia tuning anymore.

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, DCS 1.5/2.0
docWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
milit
Campaign Testers

Reputation power: 25
milit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of lightmilit is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pochi View Post
Hi,

Clutter bushes : 700
There's no need to set so high. You could notice a grass from rather less distance. My setting is 300.