Why is new WWII damage model a big deal? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
Buzzles

Reputation power: 14
Buzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro14 View Post
So Sith im curious i know we dont really have any intimate details of this new damage model, but for curiosity sake ballistic damage on wings and or fuselage will this cause any Aerodynamic effects aka increase in drag and or disruption of the dynamics of flight?
Considering the WIP images that have been shown with quite a lot of stuff modelled, I'd certainly hope so.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #12
Winston 60

Reputation power: 8
Winston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really nice

There is a great need for damage model improvement for AI controlled aircraft in multiplayer mode.

The problem with the damage model in multiplayer is: AI controlled aircraft can fly at 100% efficiency when they are heavily damaged. An AI adversary in a heavily damaged aircraft flies with no performance penalty.

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti
FTW
MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080
MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit
GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset
Winston 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #13
shagrat
ED Translator

Reputation power: 45
shagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to all

The AI damage modeling is the most critical in my point of view.
And we don't talk just about aircraft.
Especially ground forces have basically a hit bar with rudimentary damage "effects", currently.
If you blast a tank, Shilka or BMP with HE rockets you do not kill it, sure.
Yet the crew would be disoriented and unlikely to shoot at the trailing plane in a shooter- shooter run... Just as one example.

Along with the AI scripting, trigger system and path finding, the damage model is in my oppinion the most crucial thing to fix, after the merge into 2.5 is done.

Mission builders and designers are totally reliant on this, for campaigns and missions, single as well as multiplayer.

I am very happy that ED is working on a new damage model!

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.2GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat
TM HOTAS Warthog
custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |
a hand made UFC and an AHCP
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #14
QuiGon
Veteran

Reputation power: 21
QuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really niceQuiGon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
Especially ground forces have basically a hit bar with rudimentary damage "effects", currently.
Yet the crew would be disoriented and unlikely to shoot at the trailing plane in a shooter- shooter run... Just as one example.

Along with the AI scripting, trigger system and path finding, the damage model is in my oppinion the most crucial thing to fix, after the merge into 2.5 is done.

Mission builders and designers are totally reliant on this, for campaigns and missions, single as well as multiplayer.

I am very happy that ED is working on a new damage model!
The simplistic ground unit damage model isn't restricted to AI, it also applies to ground units driven by players, because unlike with aircraft there is no difference in damage modeling between human and AI vehicles, or is there?

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #15
Dav IRL

Reputation power: 7
Dav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the rough

What would be cool would be like a summary of the opponent you killed after the flight, how many kids he had, whetter he was married or single, did he die on landing or in the cockpit, what was his kill ratio and rank, did he eject but die on impact, or did he eject and drown, was he burned alive in the cockpit, or did he get concussion and lose control. Also would be cool if you could listen to the recorded cockpit voice messages from the enemy so you can hear his last words.
INTEL Kaby Lake Core i7 7700K OC 5.0Ghz CPU, ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming Motherboard & 16GB 3200Mhz Corsair DDR4 RAM & ID Cooling FrostFlow 240mm Liquid Cooler OVERCLOCKED GTX 1080 HOTAS Warthog Oculus Rift & Touch

Last edited by Dav IRL; 01-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Dav IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
shagrat
ED Translator

shagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to allshagrat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
The simplistic ground unit damage model isn't restricted to AI, it also applies to ground units driven by players, because unlike with aircraft there is no difference in damage modeling between human and AI vehicles, or is there?
No it is all the same, but it is extremely hassling when flying MP PvE missions and AI is driving around in uber-tanks...

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.2GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat
TM HOTAS Warthog
Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #17
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav IRL View Post
What would be cool would be like a summary of the opponent you killed after the flight, how many kids he had, whetter he was married or single, did he die on landing or in the cockpit, what was his kill ratio and rank, did he eject but die on impact, or did he eject and drown, was he burned alive in the cockpit, or did he get concussion and lose control. Also would be cool if you could listen to the recorded cockpit voice messages from the enemy so you can hear his last words.
Guess you posted in the wrong thread, this is about damage modeling aka AI planes are not having any performance penalty, until a critical section (Wing, engine) has 0 hit points.
With just 1 point remaining in every section AI fights like it has NO damage at all!

TM HOTAS Warthog
Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
grunf

Reputation power: 12
grunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nicegrunf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
I agree, and realy hope that we'll get a new damage model for ground units too, with proper armor penetration model, and systems damage (tracks, sights/targeting systems, engine,...).
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #19
Witchking

Reputation power: 34
Witchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of lightWitchking is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunf View Post
I agree, and realy hope that we'll get a new damage model for ground units too, with proper armor penetration model, and systems damage (tracks, sights/targeting systems, engine,...).
For sure. Just imagining scenarios where perhaps area affect damage can incapacitate a ground target while still keeping it alive. Yet, that is sufficient to take it out of action allowing us to conserve ammo and prioritize other targets.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #20
ustio

Reputation power: 0
ustio is on a distinguished road

i would also like to see an improvement for the smoke and make it very thick and long like the ones in IL2 battle of stalingrad

because it feels so rewarding and satisfying when you see the aircraft trailing long thick smoke coming down after you shot it down
ustio is offline   Reply With Quote