Why is new WWII damage model a big deal? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
The Black Swan

Reputation power: 5
The Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the rough
Default Why is new WWII damage model a big deal?

Let me start off by saying I'm glad when ED announces any improvement to the sim, but I've got some questions as to why a new damage model is such a priority.
The biggest question is what is wrong with the current one?
I mean if you get shot in the wing you get bullet holes there, you might loose an aileron, or you might loose some control or even get your guns jammed.
Shot in the cockpit? You could die, have your instruments damaged, or just get some bullet holes in the canopy. There are fuel leaks, prop governer damage, engine overheating, pressure losses, and the like.
So my question is why is this such a priority?

I don't want to sound unthankful, but unless we are talking about bugs in the current damage model, I'm pretty satisfied with what we have now.
It's not perfect, but with so many big things on ED's to do list (Normandy, 2.5 and all its features, F-18, Carriers, etc.) I'm curious why this is a big deal.
If the current projects have all the people needed then it seems like focus could be put on long standing bugs or recent ones. Or perhaps a better damage model for the AI planes which is needed much more IMO. And if someone can convince me of the need of a new damage model, why just the WWII planes? Modern planes are more complex and give greater possibilities for learning how to troubleshoot.

Just curious...
Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 92
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

There are a number of issues with the current DM in DCS, these all need to be addressed to make a more realistic flight sim, you may see fluid leaks, but that doesnt mean you are losing fuel or oil, details like this can be missing.

As for the work being done to the DM, I believe Racoon said they brought someone in from IL2 that had experience with Damage modelling to work on it, so it shouldnt effect other things going on with the sim. I hope at some point this DM will be moved to all aircraft.
SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
The Black Swan

The Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
There are a number of issues with the current DM in DCS, these all need to be addressed to make a more realistic flight sim, you may see fluid leaks, but that doesnt mean you are losing fuel or oil, details like this can be missing.

As for the work being done to the DM, I believe Racoon said they brought someone in from IL2 that had experience with Damage modelling to work on it, so it shouldnt effect other things going on with the sim.
That's good to hear but that raises the question what about the modern aircraft?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Swan View Post
That's good to hear but that raises the question what about the modern aircraft?
Sorry, I edited my post too late, I would hope this kind of tech would be shared among all aircraft eventually, including 3rd parties. Makes sense that it would be. WWII could be the test bed, because its probably the most noticeable.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
The Black Swan

Quote:
Sorry, I edited my post too late, I would hope this kind of tech would be shared among all aircraft eventually, including 3rd parties. Makes sense that it would be. WWII could be the test bed, because its probably the most noticeable.
Yes hopefully this will be included with the Hornet and Tomcat so that we can take advantage of their 2 engine survivability.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Swan View Post
Yes hopefully this will be included with the Hornet and Tomcat so that we can take advantage of their 2 engine survivability.
Well you can lose 1 engine in the A-10.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
Enduro14

Reputation power: 6
Enduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I would add even more, wish this for all the ground vehicles as well. Well heck everything!!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro14 View Post
I would add even more, wish this for all the ground vehicles as well. Well heck everything!!
I agree, but it will take some time, once they get aircraft straightened out, we can harass them about ground vehicles
Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
Enduro14

Reputation power: 6
Enduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the roughEnduro14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I agree, but it will take some time, once they get aircraft straightened out, we can harass them about ground vehicles
So Sith im curious i know we dont really have any intimate details of this new damage model, but for curiosity sake ballistic damage on wings and or fuselage will this cause any Aerodynamic effects aka increase in drag and or disruption of the dynamics of flight?

Pretty excited for this, enhancement finally took the time and really am into the tail draggers in DCS world they are very good modules. Plus i think they are the most fun in VR
Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro14 View Post
So Sith im curious i know we dont really have any intimate details of this new damage model, but for curiosity sake ballistic damage on wings and or fuselage will this cause any Aerodynamic effects aka increase in drag and or disruption of the dynamics of flight?

Pretty excited for this, enhancement finally took the time and really am into the tail draggers in DCS world they are very good modules. Plus i think they are the most fun in VR

No real details yet, I am sure we will get updates on all this as its available. Personally though, I hold ED to a higher level, so I expect a very detailed DM