OPEN BETA - How to report a bug (FAQ & Guide) - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 91
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation OPEN BETA - How to report a bug (FAQ & Guide)

Welcome to the 1.5 Open Beta, so you want to help us out and report a bug, follow the guide below and help us squash some bugs! Nobody is required to report a problem, but it will help us greatly to have a wider sampling of systems and situations. Testing isn't always fun, so Open Beta might not be for everyone, there will be problems. If you don't think you will enjoy this, stick to the current release until 1.5 is moved there where it should be more stable.

How do I know my problem is a bug and needs reports?
Make sure your system and hardware is up to date, and that you meet the minimum specs. Make sure your Open Beta isn't running any modifications of any sort, your install should be clean (All 3rd Party modules are fine). Try to reproduce and/or search for similar reports first.

How do I copy all my campaign progress and controller profiles to the Beta?
Simple, you don't, with any update this is true, and more so with such a large change. Installing things from a previous install can compromise your install, making any testing useless, not to mention cause your sim to have issue. Custom skins are fine though, and shouldn't hurt anything. There is even a .bat file floating around to help copy these and other things over, please don't use this, it is counter productive to the testing and completion of 1.5.

Where should I enter my report?
Pick the appropriate section in the DCS 1.5 Open Beta Bugs & Problems Section, if its not 100% clear use the general section.

if you are having a problem, and it seems to be with a specific module, please put the bug in that modules specific sub-forum found here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=71

or in the 3rd Party forum found here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=200

All others specific to the core game still go here.

How do I know my report hasn't been posted already?
Search the bug section using the forums search function.

How should I title my reports?
Use short descriptive titles, don't try and explain the bug in the title, but also have be descriptive enough that we can get the gist from the title.

Do I need to label my bug? Like [BUG] or [OPEN], etc
No, moderators will take care of that depending on time and need.

What do I need to tell the devs about the bug?
First, ONE BUG PER THREAD, when in doubt, create your own thread, if its a duplicate, we can merge them.
You need to supply the following:
  1. What happened that resulted in the issue? Again, short, clear and concise. Dont write a novel.
  2. What were you doing that caused, or seemed to cause the issue? Sometimes you wont know, sometimes it doesn't matter, but better to try and include it so ED Testers or Team can try to reproduce themselves.
  3. Could you reproduce it? Bugs should be reproducible, you should be able to have it happen to you again before reporting it.
  4. What module where you using, and does it happen with others? If you get a bug with the A-10C try it with another module, it could be the A-10C causing the issue, it could be the sim, and investigating you do now, makes it quicker for ED to diagnose.
Also include:
  1. A Track: We would prefer a short one that shows the bug right away, if your track is very long, try to reproduce a short one showing the bug
  2. A screenshot: In some cases a screenshot is enough, most times the devs prefer a track so they can watch and jump in or run on their debug version though
  3. System specs: System.nfo file is perfect for this see here for steps to do so
  4. DCS World logs: Logs can be found in the DCS folder in Saved Games in a folder called Logs. Please zip these and attach to your report post

What we don't need
  1. We don't need unnecessary discussions, we don't mind people adding to a report if the experience the same thing and maybe have a different angle, but no chit chat
  2. We don't need attitudes, maybe you think its a silly bug, or it should have been fixed before release or whatever, we require mature constructive reports without fluff. In some cases non native speakers might be reading these reports, make the as clear as possible without extras for them to try and understand
  3. We don't need theories or opinions on other peoples reports. If you know its a duplicate you can flag the post and a moderator can merge it, but please don't chat chat or debate reports
  4. Features are not bugs, we will have a wishlist for the new version, but we don't want reports asking for features, add-ons such as new airfields, new units, etc.

Specs:

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Most important, Open Beta is not for everyone, it can have issues that make the sim unplayable, or aspects that dont work correctly, if this sounds like something you dont want to go through, dont run Open Beta. If you do run Open Beta, dont complain about problems later, you should submit bugs, and wait for them to be addressed, welcome to the life of a tester.

Last edited by SiThSpAwN; 06-25-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Closed Thread