Switch Box Advice

amsirahc

I've seen a lot of posts on here about how people have created their own sim pits and panels. It has inspired me to the point of wanting to create a simple switch panel of my own. I haven't done much with electronics for over a decade, and wanted to get some advice on USB microcontrollers/control boards. This has sparked a couple of questions that I'm not 100% certain on, and I would appreciate any advice.

What I'm looking at doing is a small footprint box containing toggle switches, buttons, and maybe some rotary encoders (with push buttons of course). It will be 16 electrical components, broken down as follows:

• 4x ON-OFF-ON switches
  • 4x ON-OFF switches
  • 4x MON-OFF switches
  • 2x ON-OFF-MON switches
  • 2x Rotary Encoders w/ MON-OFF Push Button

If I'm thinking correctly, this would be 32 inputs. The question I have is: What microcontrollers should I be looking at? Arduino, Teensy, ye-ol'-Chineese-knockoff? Also, how many inputs can I get away with on one of those boards if I consider something like a shift register or matrix?

i am currently using 5 leobodnar boards... super simple and easy to use, no programming, they just work. Think of the extra cost as a "convenience" charge. Its well worth it.

I'm actually one of those weird people who enjoys programming, but that might not be a bad idea for a first go. I'm also located in the USA... so... shipping. I probably should have mentioned that I'm trying to keep the whole project somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 USD.

I'm actually one of those weird people who enjoys programming, but that might not be a bad idea for a first go. I'm also located in the USA... so... shipping. I probably should have mentioned that I'm trying to keep the whole project somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 USD.

If you enjoy programming then DCS-BIOS is the way to go. (Although to get started you can get going without much codding)

For what you want, and more, look at a Arduino Mega, it will give you what you are looking for and way more. The documentation is superb.

The only downside is if you switch planes, you need to load up the sketch for that plane, so maybe 20 seconds extra work. For what you can do with DCS-BIOS, it is very very worth it.

While DCS-BIOS looks like it could be fun and really feature-rich for DCS in particular, I'm thinking that something along the lines of MMJoy2 might fit my project a little better. I fly sims outside of DCS as well, and probably want this to work with them too if possible. I don't mind mapping controls for each plane in DCS (already do that for the HOTAS).

Does DCS-BIOS support the FC3 aircraft or just the hi-fidelity aircraft (A-10C, Ka-50, etc.)?

i built a small box with the following:

7 on-off-on switches on the left

1 7" touch display in the middle (for radar)

3 increment rotaries + buttons on the right

4 push buttons on the right

for the controller i used an arduino board + virtual joystick program

works like a charm

pictures attached ;)

IMG_20181204_101848.thumb.jpg.d512ffea5316c5d5cc4c7159fd5db2a1.jpg

IMG_20181205_233852.thumb.jpg.f4ed3ee44e0b933476ab5e85907d1a0b.jpg

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

i built a small box with the following:

7 on-off-on switches on the left

1 7" touch display in the middle (for radar)

3 increment rotaries + buttons on the right

4 push buttons on the right

for the controller i used an arduino board + virtual joystick program

works like a charm

pictures attached ;)

Wow, that looks great! Mind sharing details on which arduino you went with?

Personally I prefer the Leo bednor boards over the Arduino boards the bednor boards show up as a joystick by default. The ardurino require configuration prior to being used.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Wow, that looks great! Mind sharing details on which arduino you went with?
Thanks, i love the Box myself :D

From what i recall it was a arduino leonardo... i can look when i am at home again.

Maybe a native joystick Controller is easier to use since You won't have to think about programming it, but since i used the libraries and program from the web and modified it to my needs it wasn't that of a problem... Depends on your abilities ;)

Main thing was to design a good useable Box, do You have a picture in your mind of what it should do and look like?

Main thing was to design a good useable Box, do You have a picture in your mind of what it should do and look like?

Kind of. I'm envisioning something small and simple along the lines of a rectangular box with multiple rows of switches and a couple of knobs (rotaries) at the end. Doesn't need to replicate any real aircraft panels, just functional. I might section the switches off in groups of 4 or 5, depending on how many I end up with. I'm thinking with the amount of components I want to go with, I'll probably end up having to build a shift register or get a board big enough for all the inputs.

...wanted to get some advice on USB microcontrollers/control boards

If you are in the states it might be cheaper/quicker to get one of these: https://derekspearedesigns.com/circuits.html

I have 32 button version https://derekspearedesigns.com/32-button-no-matrix-controller.html, very pleased with it.

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

If you are in the states it might be cheaper/quicker to get one of these: https://derekspearedesigns.com/circuits.html

I have 32 button version https://derekspearedesigns.com/32-button-no-matrix-controller.html, very pleased with it.

The button only version should be solid, I have a DSD button box, while I no longer use it in favor of my custom panels, it's hard to beat for the money. Really for $100, you'd be better off just buying a FLT1 button box, unless you plan on making something specific for a specific aircraft.

I am very unimpressed with my 12 bit analog board I bought from DSD for my custom collective. The axes all exhibit a cyclical noise, a noise that was not present when using an Arduino Mega. I emailed DSD about it and they basically told me to pound sand. I have a Leo Bodnar board on the way to replace it.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

wiring a matrix isn't that of a problem, you just have to thing through what you want to push when ... and everything is fine.

but great to know that there are boards with that amount of possible inputs.

if you plan on going on a bigger box or onto a real simpit, you will need other boards and a good plan anyway ;)

I've made an Arduino/MMJOY based button box for my sim racing rig and thinking of doing the same for DCS/Elite.

Minimal coding knowledge required but plenty of research for wiring up the switch matrix (especially if you want to use rotary encoders) and some soldering.

My racing box has 9 push buttons, 4 2-way toggle switches and 5 rotary encoders, 3 of which are also push button. Not sure exactly what I want for flying yet as I've already got the Cougar MFDs.

All the info you need is here: https://github.com/MMjoy/mmjoy_en/wiki

You can dynamically instance your DCS.BIOS controls which allows you to load a new set when a new aircraft is detected.

Is there an explanation somewhere of how to do this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5