OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

Yes sir! There will be a number of breakout/specialty PCBS as well, but all interfacing will be done via DCS-BIOS, and the specialty cards will be routed into a nano or Mega as appropriate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Seems to be a really thought through concept, I can hardly wait to see the first results. A great pit would be the only thing to get me back from VR flying, and the DCS Hornet now come quiet handy as the perfect plane to build a pit for. Really great you guys know your stuff as it seems

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Edited by morek99

Win 10 Pro 64 - i6700K @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1080ti Gaming X OC - 32 GB DDR4 Fury X - 1x 512GB 960 Pro SSD - 1x 512GB 850 Pro SSD - TM Cougar - TM Warthog - MHG Crosswind - Rift CV1 - Track IR 5

So a small update, just to illustrate how we can make pitbuilders life a little bit easier:

An idea I had, and we are going to see how to implement:

PFLT SIM MODE - Preflight Checklist

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTENT: Aid pilot with pre-mission configuration of the pits switches prior to a mission.

On the SIM CTRL Panel, ON-OFF-ON locking toggle named "SIM MODE" labelled with the positions PFLT, FLIGHT, and MAINT.

When PFLT Selected, sim halts communication with DCS. IFEI prompts pilot to select from "AIR START", "RUNWAY START (HOT)", "RAMP START (HOT)", "RUNWAY START (COLD)" with a header of "PREFLIGHT COCKPIT CHECKLIST". Pilot makes selection using arrow keys on IFEI and pressing "ENT".

Each switch is displayed one by one on the IFEI, starting with rear left of cockpit, moving FWD and RIGHT, panel by panel.

Display is formatted, "<SWITCH> - <DESIRED POSITION>" (i.e. "APU START - OFF".) If switch is not in proper position, desired position is displayed in red, otherwise checklist progresses to next item automatically. When all switches have been configured, green background screen with black text displays: "PREFLIGHT COMPLETE. SIM MODE SWITCH - FLIGHT."

When FLIGHT is selected, pit and IFEI return to normal F/A-18C sim mode.

These checklists should be easily modified by the end user.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAINT SIM MODE - Switch/Indicator Functionality Check

INTENT: Aid pilot with verifying that all switches and indicators are wired properly to correct I/Os.

When SIM MODE is set to MAINT, I/O is disabled to DCS. IFEI prompts pilot with "SIM CONTROL CONFIGURATION VERIFICATION. PRESS ENT TO CONTINUE. TO CANCEL, PLACE SIM MODE BACK TO FLIGHT."

When ENT is pushed, each switch at each position is displayed sequentially on the IFEI, from rear left of pit, and moving FWD and RIGHT, panel by panel. After switches are done, each indicator will flash. As it flashes, it will list which indicator should be flashing on the IFEI. Press "ENT" to confirm the correct indicator is lit, or "XXX" to skip it. (Pilot will have to note any deficiencies to correct after the functions check.)

Once complete, the IFEI displays a green background screen with black text stating, "FUNCTIONAL CHECK COMPLETE. SIM MODE SWITCH - FLIGHT."

When FLIGHT is selected, pit and IFEI return to normal F/A-18C sim mode.

Something a little less exciting - the SIM CNTL Panel.

SIM_CNTL_PANEL_20180216.thumb.PNG.f58e510badc2e82ce7247c21dd6856e3.PNG

Still not sure how to address AI radio commands.

I am considering reordering the view. positions. HUD is position 1, I may stick MAP on position 2, and EXT on position 8 for quick access. I am definitely open to suggestions on this however.

Row #1

HEAD TRK: PAUSE/NORM/CTR - (ON)-OFF-(ON)

TIME: FAST/-/SLOW - (ON)-OFF-(ON)

TOGGLE: LABEL/-/NVG - (ON)-OFF-(ON)

Row #2

GAME: PAUSE/NORM/FREEZE - ON-OFF-ON

MODE: PFLT/NORM/MAINT - ON-OFF-ON (LOCKING)

VIEW: ROTARY - 8 POS, 45 DEG

-HUD (LALT+F1)

-CKPT (F1)

-CHASE (LCTL + F2)

-EXT (F2)

-MAP (F10)

-FLYBY (F3)

-WPN (F6)

-ENMY

I will likely replace the GND PWR panel with the SIM PWR panel on the left console as well. GND PWR is not something I will ever use, and I think very few people ever will, so why not make it the easily accessible PWR control for the sim?

Edited by jrsteensen

Truly amazing. Where can I download the cockpit plans?

They are not yet ready for release to the public. We are working diligently on them, but do not yet have a projected date for release.

We are still looking for a webmaster to start building our site.

Edited by jrsteensen

I feel like AI radio commands are best handled using voice recognition software. It's hard to believe it's been 6 or more years since I've flown in DCS, but when I did, I had been working on modifying the radio system to make it easier to use with AI voice control programs like VAC and had it in a pretty good state where I could delegate tasks to my AI wingman and communicate with ATC in the A-10 quite easily. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82529. I can't imagine it still works after all this time though but I'll definitely be taking another look when the Hornet releases. I'm sure others have run with the idea and made improvements since though.

Anyway, if you are going to make a panel for it, the simplest solution would just be two rows of 7 pushbuttons (maybe of the UFC keypad style?). Row 1 with ESC and F1-F6 and row 2 with Backspace and F7-12. Some brail, maybe on the F1 (1 dot) and F7 (2 dots), and a "guard" (like around the probe extend switch) separating the ESC and Backspace buttons from the others would help with tactile identification so you can stay head up.

Would look like this:

[ESC] | [F1] [F2] [F3] [F4] [F5] [F6]

[bCK] | [F7] [F8] [F9] [10] [11] [12]

Edited by AJ.eightFive

Great! I think anyone that is serious enough about building a pit from your plans will have already gone down the road of setting up voice control and that's one less panel for you to design :). I haven't been home since 2.5 released but once I've got it up and running I'll take a look at what ED have done with the radio system lately and see if I can't get my mod up to date too.

I wanted to ask if any of your spindle gauge designs are far enough along that you could release it for people to use as a primer of sorts while the rest is in development? My thinking is that a component like the standby airspeed indicator or VSI would make a good entry point for a novice like myself as building one would involve most of the skills/processes that will be required for the rest of the project, without being overly complicated. I see it as a sort of "minimum viable product" if you will. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Some news about your project?

Homecockpit F/A 18C MK4 von Dogfight Boss | i7-8700k | Asus Rog Strix Z370-F | ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 1080 ROG STRIX | 16 GB RAM 2666 | 500 GB Samsung EU 860 EVO SSD | Corsair Hydro H100i V2 | TM Warthog |3 * TM MFD‘s | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

We took some time to focus on electronics, and have ordered a bunch of prototypes of the main controller boards - the ABSIS NANO and ABSIS MEGA. I'll be building them when they arrive along with all the components, and testing them and starting some software work. These boards will aid any pitbuilder who wants to use DCS BIOS - they are not Hornet only. A lot has been happening.

That said, things will be a little slower this month as everyone is busy RL, and I'll be travelling most the month for the day job.

Where can I find out more about the ABSIS Nano and Mega?

This thread of yours just references a grabcad link which appear to be full of OpenHornet renders.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190466&page=2

We pulled down the download packages as some redesign was necessary. Once I receive the boards and components of the latest design and I test them, I will repost them for download.

Oh god no.

My wife is not going to be happy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I hear ya romeokilo! My girlfriend would never speak to me again. However if I had a setup like that in my den............who cares!biggrin.gif

" I Know You Understand What You Think I Said...But I Am Not Sure You Realize... That What You Heard....Is Probably.... Not What I Meant. ":pilotfly:

Any plans to sell just the UFC to customers? If so, would it be a USB, plug and play device?
No. We have no plans to sell any of this. This will be a freely available (for noncommerical use) design package for people who want to build their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I picked up a couple of knock-off Arduino starter kits off Amazon a little while ago and have been playing around with the various components along with DCS-BIOS. While playing around with the included stepper motor last night, I noticed the motion is not very fast, certainly not fast enough to keep up with an IVSI or Altimeter winding through several thousand feet per second. Are there stepper motors that are capable of much faster motion (mine seems limited to about 40rpm, not sure if it's a limitation of the motor itself, the Uno R3 or the ULN2003 driver board but I'm guessing it's the motor) or do you plan to use something else for those instruments? I have been reading about air core motors as well but can't seem to find any for purchase.

On that note, you mentioned in another post that you have many of the components for the project identified. I assume by this you mean things like switches, motors, LEDs etc. If that's the case, would you mind sharing your source for these? I'd like to order some stuff to tinker with so I can see how it all works and hopefully shallow the learning curve when you guys start releasing plans.

Thanks!

I picked up a couple of knock-off Arduino starter kits off Amazon a little while ago and have been playing around with the various components along with DCS-BIOS. While playing around with the included stepper motor last night, I noticed the motion is not very fast, certainly not fast enough to keep up with an IVSI or Altimeter winding through several thousand feet per second. Are there stepper motors that are capable of much faster motion (mine seems limited to about 40rpm, not sure if it's a limitation of the motor itself, the Uno R3 or the ULN2003 driver board but I'm guessing it's the motor) or do you plan to use something else for those instruments? I have been reading about air core motors as well but can't seem to find any for purchase.

On that note, you mentioned in another post that you have many of the components for the project identified. I assume by this you mean things like switches, motors, LEDs etc. If that's the case, would you mind sharing your source for these? I'd like to order some stuff to tinker with so I can see how it all works and hopefully shallow the learning curve when you guys start releasing plans.

Thanks!

I'm looking at the steppers and I may need to revisit those. Ideally, I'd love to find the little dual steppers used all over the place in the auto industry, but I can't find a reliable source. I don't want to spec something for this project that can't be purchased reliably.

I've talked to the team, and we really don't want to release anything publicly that one of us hasn't already built/prototyped, because things change, and I don't want other people wasting money. Similar how ED very much tries to not release things until most the worst of the bugs are beaten out - causes too much badwill and grief for all involved.

I do have boards and components enroute to prototype the ABSIS boards (the NANO/MEGA breakouts) for use with DCS-BIOS. Once I build a couple and test them, I'll be releasing that design ahead of the full package as that is useful outside the OpenHornet project as well.

I will be posting updates first to http://www.openhornet.com, but I will continue to update this thread in parallel. I would love for some experienced DCS-BIOS and builders to put together some tutorials for me to host over there - it will be a little better organized than just trying to find random threads on various subjects here.

If anyone wants to design us a better logo for the project, let me know so I can give you our requirements. :music_whistling:

Thanks for the reply!

No worries re: releasing info prematurely. Glad you guys are dedicated to producing something of high quality. I can keep fooling around with what I have for now. There's still plenty to learn and my Shakepoko 3 arrives tomorrow so I need to make a home for it which will keep me busy for a while!

Congrats on getting the website up, it's looking great, as are the latest renders! I'll keep an eye on the forums for when they are open to sign-ups. For now, I've made use of the most important part of the site and dropped of a little care package to get you started toward your $250 goal.

Feel free to PM me your logo requirements too. I made Zorlac's "Touch Buddy" logo many, many years ago, maybe I can help with this one too. :)

:pilotfly:

Thank AJ! Getting a donation, especially a sizable one this early on is inspiring!

I've enabled account creation over there. (Sorry for overlooking that. Oops!)

As far as getting a feel of electronics, play with the basics - arduino with DCS-BIOS, and interfacing toggle switches, pushbuttons, LEDs (don't forget your current limiting resistor or you will let the magic smoke out!), potentiometers, and rotary encoders.

Everything else will be more advanced and there will be tutorials on how to hook stuff up (eventually).

Have you thought about offering some items like the gear, hook and wing fold handles along with maybe the various switch knobs via Shapeways?

Would allow you to sell some items to those who maybe don’t have access to a 3-d printer, while contributing some money towards the running of your site.

Hey please can you advise what 7 segment and displays you chose, I am having difficulty trying to find a 5 digit one that fits the UFC which I think is about 40mm x 13mm.

All the fleabay items from china state is a .36inch dimension but I have no idea what dimension it relates to!

Shapeways is a good idea, I would be interested in say perhaps the warning indicator panels.

Also, sorry about the questions, what are you doing for your jettison buttons, the ones that are rotaries with a push button on top??