Is the vive pro worth it over oculus rift?

SkipCarey

I have used a Rift for a short period but not in DCS. Used to use a Vive 1.0 as my main HMD and moved to Vive Pro about 6 months ago both used a considerable amount with DCS. Vive 1.0 is broadly same as the Rift (apart from weight, fit etc) in terms of specification and performance.

For me this comes down to a few factors...

Cost vs performance: Vive Pro price is significant, is it worth the extra cash over the Rift?...that depends on how happy you are to split with the cash and how badly you want a marginal improvement in resolution over the Rift. There are problems with the Rift that you wont completely escape in the Vive Pro such as the God Rays from the bloody horrible Fresnel lenses. The Vive Pro still has SDE but it is reduced in comparison. The extra resolution is a great improvement but its not night and day, you get used to it and there is still some way to go. I can read all gauges with a mild PD increase e.g 1.2. and its good enough to do ACM effectively but longer range target spotting is still not easy.

Will you be using room scale games? Its generally accepted that the Vive/Vive Pro has the best tracking solution on the market so if you want to have a good room scale experience this should be a factor...for me it was.

You'll need a 1080ti or better to capitalise on the higher resolution of the Vive Pro (in DCS), if you don't have the horsepower you wont get the benefits.

Given that the PiMax 5K+ has just launched which offers further improvements in resolution and much bigger FOV (for around the same cost) I would be seriously look at that option too. Its not perfect (see the reviews) but could be the sensible choice at this stage. Odyseey+ is also available and might pip the Vive Pro as the resolution/FOV is the same, but its much cheaper. However I'm hearing the comfort level and general build quality is not great and the tracking is not as good either (unless you use the Vive sensors).

Hope this helps

I moved to a Vive Pro after having owned a Rift, and I posted my thoughts here https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3696468&postcount=13

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Short answer, yes!

While I still think that Oculus software is more elegant and the controllers are better, the high-res vibrant OLED screen of the Vive Pro trumps everything. The ability to see/read cockpit texts without leaning in as well as spotting distant objects or runways make it that much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

If you only use your VR headset for simming the Odyssey+ is probably a good runner up.

The tracking issues are limited to the controllers. As long as you have a light on in your PC room the headtracking is superb.

Odyssey+ declares a PPI of 1233 using its anti-sde screens.

Vive Pro 615 PPI.

The biggest difference may be the controller tracking.. which many say is "good enough." It's a matter of keeping your controllers in sight most of the time as there are no external sensors to track them. (I wish there were ext. sensors) Bluetooth allows for a second or two out of line of sight, but when out of view they can lose track. WMR headsets would be hard to compete with if they offered a set of optional external tracking cameras or something. I keep meaning to try some standing VR titles, but I really only use my HMD for simming and the odyssey has been great for that. My only regret in buying the Odyssey, is not waiting a few months for the Odyssey+ to come out.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

If you only use your VR headset for simming the Odyssey+ is probably a good runner up.

The tracking issues are limited to the controllers. As long as you have a light on in your PC room the headtracking is superb.

Odyssey+ declares a PPI of 1233 using its anti-sde screens.

Vive Pro 615 PPI.

The biggest difference may be the controller tracking.. which many say is "good enough." It's a matter of keeping your controllers in sight most of the time as there are no external sensors to track them. (I wish there were ext. sensors) Bluetooth allows for a second or two out of line of sight, but when out of view they can lose track. WMR headsets would be hard to compete with if they offered a set of optional external tracking cameras or something. I keep meaning to try some standing VR titles, but I really only use my HMD for simming and the odyssey has been great for that. My only regret in buying the Odyssey, is not waiting a few months for the Odyssey+ to come out.

The Odyssey+ has the same resolution as the Vive Pro, i.e. 1440x1600 615ppi. It has a process to reduce SDE that makes the ‘perceived’ res higher, but the native res is still the same as Vive Pro and original Odyssey.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

In fact odyssey+ features a higher vertical resolution as Pimax, so it is actually a good question if Pimax is going to provide any improvement in instrument readability over Odyssey+ or Vive Pro

Vive Pro also has a higher vertical res than Pimax 5K+. The Pimax doesn't benefit from a higher resolution, it only has a wider POV - as you are suggesting.

The Odyssey+ has the same resolution as the Vive Pro, i.e. 1440x1600 615ppi. It has a process to reduce SDE that makes the ‘perceived’ res higher, but the native res is still the same as Vive Pro and original Odyssey.

I'm quite aware that the Odyssey, the Odyssey+ and the Vive Pro screens are the same resolution, but the Odyssey+ supposedly has a perceived PPI of 1233. Whatever they did with the screen/lens configuration to achieve it, the result is less visible pixels i.e. screen door effect. The perceived PPI is what the eye will be able to see, so I'm not sure where you felt a need to correct me, especially given as the information comes from the samsung odyssey+ product page.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/

@$400 vs $1200 it's a no brainer in my book, and it's already been as low as $299 USD during a sale. The vive pro has the lighthouses and better controller tracking for sure. For simming purposes WMR works fine. If you got the dough other things to consider are the potential for wireless connectivity.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

it has the same resolution, but I took the numbers off the samsung product page for the odyssey plus. I'm quite aware that the Odyssey, the Odyssey+ and the Vive Pro screens are the same resolution, but the Odyssey+ supposedly has a perceived PPI of 1233.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/

That's what I said! It has a 'perceived' PPI of 1233, but an actual PPI the same as Vive Pro and Odyssey original.

Opinions are divided about the merits of the increased 'perceived' PPI.

If it reduces the visible pixels, that's a win in my book. My only real complaint with the odyssey is seeing pixels. It would be easier to spot blurry aircraft in the distance if not for them at higher resolutions, as they can blend in with the pixels.

If OP's in the U.S. you can probably find one at a best buy or something and try it out for 14 days and return it for a full refund it if it's not your thing. with a savings of $800 i'd say it's worth a shot.. probably going to go for the odyssey+ myself in the future.. my odyssey is just not old enough to justify it yet.

Spoiler

The PPI can be misleading with VR googles because your eyes are right next to those tiny screens. My ultrawide monitor has lower PPI than the Vive Pro yet the image fidelity is much superior without any screen door effect.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I really appreciate the input from everyone, I only care about VR in DCS at the moment so controllers are a non issue for me , what does concern me is this, do these units (vive pro and Odyessy +) require the use of steam vr? My DCS modules are all non steam modules and I don't want to mess with steam if I can avoid it, I have the horsepower to run either one ,Rtx2080 and 32GB of ram with ssds@6GB per sec.From what Ive read here the odyessy+ is probably the way to go as I feel like the vive pro is grossly overpriced IMHO

I really appreciate the input from everyone, I only care about VR in DCS at the moment so controllers are a non issue for me , what does concern me is this, do these units (vive pro and Odyessy +) require the use of steam vr? My DCS modules are all non steam modules and I don't want to mess with steam if I can avoid it, I have the horsepower to run either one ,Rtx2080 and 32GB of ram with ssds@6GB per sec.From what Ive read here the odyessy+ is probably the way to go as I feel like the vive pro is grossly overpriced IMHO

You will require steamVR but it works with the stand alone version of DCS. You can add non-steam games to your steam library as well, which I find necessary to do with dcs.exe in order to use the steamVR application resolution slider for DCS. That and you have to enable motion reprojection via editng a file with notepad, but once you do it will turn on or off depending on your framerate. In DCS it's an always on thing, as WMR seems to need at least 80-85 fps to have smooth game play without it, and as we just aren't there with hardware, it makes things smooth @ 45fps.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

You need SteamVR, yes, but you don't need anything to be in your Steam library. The Vive Pro works seamlessly in SteamVR whereas I believe the Odyssey needs some tweaking.

'Grossly' overpriced, not so sure. Maybe a bit, but not grossly. It's a quality piece of kit that is very comfortable on the head and very secure.

The lighthouses (Vive base stations that actually only emit light and do no tracking on their own) are required for any Vive to have any tracking. No way to not use them.

There are two options to buy Vive Pro: HMD-only or a full-kit with v2.0 lighthouses and wands. Vive Pro can use older v1.0 lighthouses from original Vive, the benefits of v2.0 aren't really useful in DCS (e.g. bigger play space, less noise).

i7-8700K, GTX 1080Ti, 2x16Gb DDR4, 250Gb Evo 970 NVMe, 1Tb Evo 970 NVMe, HTC Vive Pro, BRD-F3, VPC MongoosT-50 base, grip and throttle

I have/had the Odyssey + and the Lenovo Explorer. If you enjoy soft focus photos and images you will Love the Odyssey +. I preferred the sharpness and clarity of the Lenovo even though it had an LCD screen. The O+ was very comfortable for me and I did like the build quality and the sound. Its just a shame they did not offer an option of the old screen in new version + HMD. I sent it back due to bluetooth issues and also cited the poor quality images as the reason and decided to exchange. In the mean time it has been nearly 2 months and thought about opting for the original Odyssey instead. I thought long and hard about another option of blow bucketloads of cash and take a chance on the Vive Pro. It arrived a week ago. It was worth every penny I spent on it. As smooth and effortless as the oculus when playing DCS (I never got good results with WMR). And was much sharper and clearer than the O+ and the Lenovo. Tonite I did the Lens mod ( swap GearVR lens for the Vive lens) and it was another level above. I no longer need to adjust for sweet spot as most of the image is the sweet spot now....no more glare or god rays just crisp images. I wish I had bought the Vive Pro a year ago when they came out. Bear in mind as well, thats high praise from me as digital imagery and manipulation is my game (within the bounds of current VR technology). So my new exchanged O+ finally arrives this week....wont even open the box....straight to ebay :) .

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

The PPI can be misleading with VR googles because your eyes are right next to those tiny screens. My ultrawide monitor has lower PPI than the Vive Pro yet the image fidelity is much superior without any screen door effect.

Not to mention the fact that there seems to be no standardization for how the various HMD manufacturers express things like PPI and resolution. There are a few of them who think its appropriate to double both things because there are two screens, when the reality is that those two screens are overlayed in your brain, and it actually doesn't double anything. I think its a lot like the FPS discussions. You can look at the numbers all day long, and the only thing that matters in the end is what each individual feels gives them a better experience.

I've had my Rift for almost 3 years, and although I've got no experience with the Vive Pro, I'd just have an extremely difficult time justifying the $900.00 price difference. I know its better, just not sure its 900 bucks better, and the reliabilty/durability of my Rift is already established.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

That's what I said! It has a 'perceived' PPI of 1233, but an actual PPI the same as Vive Pro and Odyssey original.

Opinions are divided about the merits of the increased 'perceived' PPI.

My understanding of this is that they can thought of as virtual pixels, the edge bleed from two real pixels can create a third virtual one plus eliminates sde. In theory of course. The O+ is my current goto for rift replacment thus far.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

maybe similar to how my 4MP camera produces 21MP images when “processed” with right software : )

i.e. it only stops being 21MP if you look closely, or think about how the details and interpolation algorithms work.

maybe similar to how my 4MP camera produces 21MP images when “processed” with right software : )

i.e. it only stops being 21MP if you look closely, or think about how the details and interpolation algorithms work.

Its basically adding an interpolated pixel. The way a pixel works it displays different intensities of sub pixels, (RGB) and then you see a pixel at a given color. Pixels are typically also walled off from each other to increase sharpness. The issue with VR is the display is magnified, so you see the walls (SDE). This basically removes the walls, and in theory you can "blend" the space in-between. At least this is my understanding of how the O+ is supposed to work, and where they get the double PPI number. I'm pretty sure there would have to be some sort of decent image processing to make it work, and maybe thats in the hardware.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).