TWS IFF status? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #31
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_120 View Post
Btw, now that i can see SA page enemy simbols on my monitor... who on earth decided those where good bogey simbols? XD, there are 3 aircraft and you cant discern nothing there... i hope you can change this somehow in the SA setting page

Edit: After looking at it more closely, i've managed to understand which of the "legs" is the bandit bearing, maybe is not so bad after all
Those are standardized NATO symbols for naval usage, called NTDS-symbols (Naval tactical Data System).

Here's an overview from a guide for another game (CMANO, great game ) that makes heavy use of them:

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1081327870

They get an aditional line if they are moving that points in the direction of their movement. The length of that line also shows the speed they are moving at.

I guess the green circles in Wags picture are the own ships (C for cruiser?), as the DDI can't display blue clolor.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 01-11-2019 at 09:13 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #32
coldViPer

Just wondering what is the difference between Hostile and Unfriendly? If you are facing orange fixed wing aircraft, you see this?:

Sorry, it's Friday..
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #33
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldViPer View Post
Just wondering what is the difference between Hostile and Unfriendly? If you are facing orange fixed wing aircraft, you see this?:

Sorry, it's Friday..
Unfriendly means, they are potential enemies that are not (yet) clear to be engaged.

Take for example the enforcement of the no fly zones in Iraq (Operations Northern Watch and Southern Watch). Iraqi Air Force jets were declared unfriendly as long as they were flying between the NFZs. When they crossed the NFZ they became hostile, meaning they were then targets to enage.

Edit: Just realized the gif you posted. I guess that also counts as an unfriendly action

Last edited by QuiGon; 01-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #34
coldViPer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Unfriendly means, they are potential enemies that are not (yet) clear to be engaged.

Take for example the enforcement of the no fly zones in Iraq (Operations Northern Watch and Southern Watch). Iraqi Air Force jets were declared unfriendly as long as they were flying between the NFZs. When they crossed the NFZ they became hostile, meaning they were then targets to enage.
Oh now I understand, tnx
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #35
Banzaiib

Quote:

Sorry, it's Friday..
that's a great shot... you should be a photographer
Banzaiib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #36
aaron886
Veteran

QuiGon - those look similar but they're not quite right. Yes, the symbols in Wags' screenshot are hostile air but the match is coincidence. Note that the circles are not friendly ships, but friendly aircraft that are sharing sensor data on channel "C." There are probably something like 100 different possible symbol combinations. It's not likely that DCS will feature them all, because the underlying infrastructure that contributes a lot of that information to Link-16 will not exist in DCS.
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #37
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron886 View Post
QuiGon - those look similar but they're not quite right. Yes, the symbols in Wags' screenshot are hostile air but the match is coincidence. Note that the circles are not friendly ships, but friendly aircraft that are sharing sensor data on channel "C." There are probably something like 100 different possible symbol combinations. It's not likely that DCS will feature them all, because the underlying infrastructure that contributes a lot of that information to Link-16 will not exist in DCS.
Oh, alright then

Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #38
F1GHTS-ON

[QUOTE=coldViPer;3753529]Just wondering what is the difference between Hostile and Unfriendly?

For "Unfriendly" read "Suspect" in old speak. I am guessing, but in the complex Air environment over Iraq & Syria today, when the mission is to target ISIS ground targets, then a classification was needed for Russian & Syrian aircraft.
In some previous conflicts, depending on your nationality, declaring a contact as "hostile" was ALSO giving permission to fire ("weapons Free"). very, very ROE dependant!!!
Again, just a guess by me, but classifying Russian & Syrian aircraft as "unfriendly" , in THIS circumstance works........but on dodgy radio, voice only circuits, would you really want 2 different classifications that sound almost the same bar the pre-fix??????
F1GHTS-ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 AM   #39
backspace340

The Hornet uses HAFU symbology (Hostile, Ambiguous, Friendly, Unknown):

I think the difference between Unknown and Ambiguous is that Ambiguous tracks have been IFFed but not returned a positive IFF response, though I'm not certain.
backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #40
Doum76

Quote:

Sorry, it's Friday..

Visual/Manual IFF interogation/response, main system was down?
Doum76 is offline   Reply With Quote