Manual for cold start for Carrier

Beirut

Hello,

I've had the carrier since it was released and enjoy it a great deal, but I haven't found the instructions for a cold start of the reactors and how to get the ship out of dock.

Have any video tutorials been posted yet?

Thank you.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I was going to do exactly that, but that NDA I signed when I left the Navy made it difficult. The paperwork is extensive, but otherwise it's pretty easy. Calling up to the quarterdeck to tell them reactor (insert number here) is critical can be entertaining to hilarious.

Doing initial crit out of a shipyard availability is a nightmare, though. You DO NOT want to be the RO for that. Watched a guy take a leak in the [drinking fountain] after 12 straight hours on watch. It was another six before they let someone relieve him (figuratively and literally).

So you think ED won't release a reactor manual? sad.gif

I was looking forward to the first 200 spectacularly failed attempts at a successful & controlled start up.

But thank you for your post, I enjoyed that. smile.gif

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

What?
Pretty sure this is a joke.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Is it April fools again???

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Never mind startup. I want to know how you refuel at sea. :blink:

Oh. Yeah. That...well...no, you really don't want to know. It's...tricky.

Overheard someone on a pay phone telling their parents we take the cores out of the reactors and store them in the little fenced in electrical substation on the pier from which shore power is supplied because they're too dangerous to keep on board.

This made me less guilty about taping up a fluorescent tube and waving it around the deck at night to catch the side lobes from the radar, then telling the nearby topsiders I was looking for radiation leaks...

As for the manual, the RPMs (Reactor Plant Manuals) are a surefire cure for insomnia. Unfortunately there's no cure for the RPM. Startup is easy; I've done it in my sleep. A couple times. 72 hour days suck.

Oh. Yeah. That...well...no, you really don't want to know. It's...tricky.

Overheard someone on a pay phone telling their parents we take the cores out of the reactors and store them in the little fenced in electrical substation on the pier from which shore power is supplied because they're too dangerous to keep on board.

This made me less guilty about taping up a fluorescent tube and waving it around the deck at night to catch the side lobes from the radar, then telling the nearby topsiders I was looking for radiation leaks...

As for the manual, the RPMs (Reactor Plant Manuals) are a surefire cure for insomnia. Unfortunately there's no cure for the RPM. Startup is easy; I've done it in my sleep. A couple times. 72 hour days suck.

I suspect that startup is pretty similar to typical reactors, but I always wondered if the fact that you're on a moving ship presents extra challenges, especially during particularly bad weather. I don't have a lot of operation experience myself, I'm on the design side, but during operation training some years ago, our reactor would scram if you looked at it funny, although I suspect that this was mostly due to us being inexperienced with our inputs.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I suspect that startup is pretty similar to typical reactors, but I always wondered if the fact that you're on a moving ship presents extra challenges, especially during particularly bad weather. I don't have a lot of operation experience myself, I'm on the design side, but during operation training some years ago, our reactor would scram if you looked at it funny, although I suspect that this was mostly due to us being inexperienced with our inputs.

Slosh is designed into the bits that matter; we draw nice little ovals when teaching the NUBs, but everything is baffled half to death. There's just not enough mass moving to cause a problem with stability, and the structure is...beefy. Submarines are more fun, especially since they change size.

Maybe rather than being more experienced with your inputs you needed more awareness of the scram parameters? If you're dumping a reactor like that maybe you need a new hobby? :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Slosh is designed into the bits that matter; we draw nice little ovals when teaching the NUBs, but everything is baffled half to death. There's just not enough mass moving to cause a problem with stability, and the structure is...beefy. Submarines are more fun, especially since they change size.

Maybe rather than being more experienced with your inputs you needed more awareness of the scram parameters? If you're dumping a reactor like that maybe you need a new hobby? :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Ouch :lol:. Cut me some slack, it was during my master, we were all like that :joystick:. It was just easy to retract the rods 1mm more and end up with a big enough delta rho to cause a trip, but the reactor was made for training, so it was up again in a couple of minutes. We were limited to 50 kW, so we didn't even run the pumps. And the supervisors were content leaving us to figure it out by ourselves.

That was the second and last time I operated a reactor, I'm a neutronics and codes guy. I design and analyze cores in my office and leave the real work to others. Speaking of which, I don't know how the A1B or A4W look, but if they're anything like the K15, they should be very interesting little cores. We actually have a submarine propulsion core where I work, but I don't have the clearance to see it :cry:.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro