Market niche of the Kiowa?

TheHoff

Hi all

I'm a chopper person, I like to hide in the weeds and stalk my prey and obviously the Gazelle has been my preferred tool for years. The announcement of the Kiowa first struck me with excitement, more modern than the Gazelle and with a higher mounted observation dome for even more stalking. But as I began to follow the posts, videos and screenshots a thought struck me. What is the actual purpose of releasing the Kiowa? Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up in the Kiowa cockpit eventually but from a market perspective I'm curious. DCS already has a light helicopter with similar load-out capability.

/F

Kiowa is an airborne rotary wing version of artillery forward observer, forward air controller (JTAC), and command ship. It finds , classifies, prioritises, and distributes targets to attack helicopters, and is also a pathfinder for transport helicopters in air assault troop delivery/extraction operations. It also handles reconnaissance and intelligence collection for ground maneuver commander. It can be a light shooter, able to use Hellfire, rockets, and gunpods in direct fire role. It can serve as an all weather airborne security element conducting security patrols. Cancelled RAH-66 Comanche was supposed to be a replacement. Instead Kiowa got upgraded and shared expanded mission role with AH-64D.Kiowa can also laser illuminate targets for any laser guided munition and mark targets . Airborne or field artillery.

...and it gets APKWS, apart from being the first playable platform with Hellfire missiles. So you finally have a range advantage against the Russian Anti-Tank missiles that magically find their way to you 4000m away and 1m above the building or trees you hide behind. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As above,

The APKWS is what I am most excited about, it really will extend the amount of precise damage these light weight choppers can dish out in one sortie.

Both will be great helicopters to fly.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

What is the actual purpose of releasing the Kiowa? Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up in the Kiowa cockpit eventually but from a market perspective I'm curious. DCS already has a light helicopter with similar load-out capability.

From a "market perspective" developing a AH-64D would have better sales but IMHO *most* DCS players expect more than good GFX and fantasy/best guess weapon systems.

AFAIK the KW was on a list of helicopters that PC were interested in and had enough information available to model it to a high level of detail, with an intention to use the lessons learned from the Gazelle's development, PC contacted Bell for a licence and sought SME's from the active KW community.

With positive feedback from the "KW community" and support from SME's who flew the KW in active service, PC hope to make one of best (if not the best) helicopter FM in DCS and use it to (later) improve/rework the Gazelle.

Although another recon chopper (like the Gazelle), PC obviously feel the KW is sufficiently different to get enough sales to justify their time and effort and that quality will sell.

The KW wouldn't have been my first choice but I am attracted by PC's dedication/effort to make an accurate module and expect the KW will be a day one purchase i.e. their "marketing" strategy works and is based on honesty/transparency.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

So you finally have a range advantage against the Russian Anti-Tank missiles that magically find their way to you 4000m away and 1m above the building or trees you hide behind. ;)

You already have this advantage with the Ka-50 and its Vikhrs ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sill you need to be over the trees to see the target since the ka50 has the camera on its nose and no on the top of the rotor. And cannot buddylaze :D

Chinook lover - Rober -

We have a multirole western fighter in the F-18, what possible interest could there be in a F-16 or F-15E that arguably have extremely similar capabilities?

That's not the point of the game, really. They're making one because they can, and a ton of people are likely going to buy it for the only reason that really matters around here:

Because it's cool.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I don't think the "niches" within our niche actually apply so much force on this little market as to preclude entire sections of players from buying something. I think the only really strong niches in that regard are WWII vs. Cold War/Modern settings.

To be certain, yes the Gazelle can do quite a bit of what the Kiowa can do, but there's more to it than just that. Each airframe has its own character. Each aircraft has its own idiosyncrasies that make them unique experiences despite holding a similar role to something else.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Sorry, I don't like the Ka-50. The whole avionic, Comms, Bitching Natascha, basically everything feels wrong... ;)

The OH-58D can also lase for western aircraft.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)