Afterburner Detent

zerO_crash

I´ve been trying to get used to Hornet´s afterburner detent since it´s launched, and what buggs me is that I can get close to 100%, but somtimes I might miss with my throttle position by 1-2% lower, just to be sure I don´t use afterburner. Esp. when flying higher up in altitude, the values on IFEI are different, and same goes for nozzle position. Now, I have tried the special settings with mapping detent to a button, but for me, somehow it´s just not right. I cannot help but disagree with the fact that commanding the engine power should not be a 2-step process (button for unlocking the afterbuner then throttle to full) but rather a single-stage process.

Now, I like the way F16 has it, where you can actually see the throttle being lifted up to go into afterburner stage. Now although this is not realistic, for those of us who don´t have a throttle with afterburner detent (I have Virpil), could the small "bump" be implemented visually in F18, where the throttle somehow displaces a little (either move up, or maybe 1/2 degrees left) and then back when you are within afterburner stage? This would be far less intrusive, and better to use (such as on F16 or AFB lights on Russian jets). Make a special setting where this option could enabled to make the throttle visualize the afterburner AFB-stage. This would for me be a lot better than current implementation with a button having to be pressed before I can move the throttle...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Latest OB has a settings option to hear afterburner in cockpit . Sounds like a mild "boom" and certainly makes

life easier .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Works very well for me wearing headphones over the Rift . No longer have to keep an eye on the IFEI climbing after a pass...it is a muffled "boom" sound kinda like a delayed gas grill lighting :)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Would there be any way to add some kind of a spring loaded physical lever to your Virpil so you could feel a slight increased effort needed to get past it?

Not so far. Guess this question should be asked to the devs at Virpil ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tested the new afterburner "boom" option in audio settings and it´s not cutting it for me. If you fly with music from time to time, it´s won´t be heard. Even with normal flying, if you go up in speed, the air drag causes much noise. It just doesn´t work for me.

@Matt, would it be much hassle to add a small visual afterburner detent "bump" animation on the for the throttle as a special option? So far, that´s the only reason I don´t fly Hornet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Tested the new afterburner "boom" option in audio settings and it´s not cutting it for me. If you fly with music from time to time, it´s won´t be heard. Even with normal flying, if you go up in speed, the air drag causes much noise. It just doesn´t work for me.

@Matt, would it be much hassle to add a small visual afterburner detent "bump" animation on the for the throttle as a special option? So far, that´s the only reason I don´t fly Hornet.

Being frank, you already stated that you play music. Simple solution; turn the music off or down! I hope you don't expect ED to cater to your own vices. They've already added a burner boom, which was asked for ad nauseum.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I hear it. I like it. It works (for me) =)

Yeah! Great feature! Thx ED.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

that new 'boom' in the cockpit has been a godsend. The thing i hate is from normal POV you can see almost everything except for the RPM (or whatever engine %) which is the key indicator. I use a HyperX II with surround so I can hear it behind me which is awesome.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I always thought a little universal on-screen display would be a great idea. Option to turn it on and off for different modules, in the "Special" tab.

AB1, AB2 etc. for afterburner stages, one for flaps, one for gear, that sort of deal. Percentage throttle whenever you move it a bit, Radar On/Off/Standby... essentially, updates on-screen for every setting or change you make while flying the aircraft.

Kind of like that other sim we dare not mention.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Makes more sense to replicate or at least mimic the behavior you want on your throttle.

I planned on something elaborate but when I test glued 2 magnets in my TWCS throttle it worked completely perfectly first time.

For the virpil, look at this:

• 3 weeks later...

What greatly helps me in the F-14 is the "tschk-click" the throttle makes when going AB. Boom sounds, noice, but how about a click from the detent finger lifts? If the real ones are not really audible in an F/A-18 just having the event linked to a near silent sound would be only a matter of creating a small mod.