Japan's air force loses contact with F-35 stealth fighter

Zius

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-defence-f35/japans-air-force-loses-contact-with-f-35-stealth-fighter-idUSKCN1RL1FJ

A Japanese F-35 stealth fighter jet with one pilot on board disappeared from radar while on a training mission over the Pacific on Tuesday night, the defense ministry said.

The fighter jet went missing at around 7:30 p.m. (1030 GMT) as it was flying some 135 km (84 miles) east of Misawa in northeastern Japan, a ministry spokeswoman said.

It was not immediately clear if it had crashed, the spokesperson said, adding: “We are still trying to search for the aircraft.”

“The cause is unknown,” Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya said, adding that the remaining 12 F-35As deployed to Misawa were grounded, Kyodo News reported.

The fate of the pilot was not immediately clear.

The plane lost contact about 30 minutes after taking off from Misawa Air Base, public broadcaster NHK reported.

The Self-Defence Forces and coastguard dispatched vessels to carry out rescue operations, NHK added.

Japan’s first F-35A fighter squadron based at Misawa became operational on March 29.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

My first thought was “plausible deniability” for Japan. F35 disappears (it’s designed to do that), no communication (pilot under orders to not respond) = quick recon mission over/near North Korea.

Hoping for the best for the pilot.

I was thinking diversion to China , but heck , they already know more about it than we do :)

+1 on the pilot .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have to admit that the thought of the pilot defecting crossed my mind as well, but if the plan disappeared east of Misawa, then the only way to go is the Kuriles / Kamchatka. Even though stealthy, I don't think it's totally invisible and a missing aircraft flying over Japan to the west would be noticed. Crossing the Kuriles, I have no idea if that's possible without the Russians being aware of it.

Anyway, these are not so nice thoughts... I hope the pilot managed to eject and will be recovered soon.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022