Mission: ASW Training Course

MBot

wowww amazing mission and script...

Would the script be aviable in some way to create out own missions? (once the MP problems are fixed?

Yes sure. You can already copy them out of the present mission, but I will also post them separately in a short while (working on some updates and also hope to fix the MP problem, though I am a little lost there...).

Good news everyone! After several hours of digging I found out what the problem is with the weapons menu. As expected it is a scripting engine bug and not actually a bug of my mission. If you are interested you can read the details here. Fortunately I could now circumnavigate the bug in my ASW script. I expect the ASW missions now to be fully MP compatible. I hope to run some final test runs with friends this weekend to confirm this.

I also introduced some additional features to the ASW script during the past week. I still need to write the updated documentation though. Expect a new version of the mission in the next days.

The mission is now updated to version 2:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=90392&d=1383482202

Here is the change log:

-Fixed disappearing menu bug

-Smoke Marker Buoys endurance changed from 20 min to 6 min

-Dipping sonar max. washout depth reduced from 30 m to 10 m

-MAD detection distance now also depends on sub depth

-MAD detection distance increased to 400m

-Added thermal layer

-Sonobuoys can be dropped deep or shallow

-Torpedo search cone now affected by depth difference between sub and torpedo

-Torpedo search depth can be preselected

-Dipping sonar now displayes the coastline

-FAB-250 and Mk-82 work like depth charges

-Mi-8 has FAB-250

-Added Su-25, Su-25T and A-10C

Depth plays a much bigger role after this update. I introduced a simple model for a thermal layer, which will cut active sonar detection range (both for dipping sonar and the torpedo homing head) by half. This will force you to search on both sides of the layer with your dipping sonar. The search depth for torpedoes can now be preselected in the F10 radiomenu and allows to have a torpedo search either above or below the layer. Sonobuoys are likewise affected by the layer, cross layer the received signal strength is reduced. To compensate, sonobuoys can be dropped in either a deep (400m) or shallow (50m) mode. This will determine to which depth the buoy will lower its receiver.

Submarine depth now also affects the MAD detection range (additionally to helo altitude, which was previously already implemented). A deep sub will show a weaker signal even if you are directly above it and might even outdive MAD detection altogether!

The torpedo search cone is now limited to +/- 30° in every dimension. If the torpedo searches at a depth that is offset too much from a sub, it will not detect it even if you dropped the weapon right on top of the target. One reason more to select the correct search depth for the weapon before launching it.

All this makes determining the submarine depth quite important. The bad news is, it is impossible to determine the exact submarine depth! Like almost everything in ASW, getting target depth involves looking at all the sensor data available and then making the best guess possible :)

FAB-250 and Mk-82 can now be used like depth charges. Instead of exploding on the surface, these bombs now enter the water, descend to a depth that can be preselected in the F10 radiomenu and explode underwater. They have a rather generous kill radius of 25 m. Wiki talks about a kill radius of about 6 m, but I have increased it to compensate the fact that my subs are only point objects. I haven't used them much yet, but they seem to be pretty useless. I guess there is a reason why the major navies went for nuclear depth charges :) Still I think they are a fun little addition. The first one that kills a sub with a depth charge unassisted by Show Truth wins a virtual bottle of Scotch! You will truly be the first one ever, I haven't done it yet :)

Additionally I added the Su-25, Su-25T and A-10C to the mission. This is not meant too seriously, just to get a little taste of Viking style fixed-wing sub hunting.

Edited by MBot
  • Like 1

Gotta say that I'm very impressed not only with your skill and the fantastic idea, but yours is the cleanest and easiest to read scripting I've had the pleasure of going through.

Can't give you any more rep, but you sure deserve it!

Great work MBot! Do you plan to produce a 'module' based on these scripts? Using proper windows instead of the comm menu for example.

Regards!

Or if you could export these to a tablet, that would be amazing!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded the updated version 2 file... look very much forward to trying it out. Looks promising!

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does this work with 1.2.7?

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

hi MBot, the noise level in the basic ASWScriptConfig.lua

line 36:

noise = 85,

is this a "fantasy" number of for a particular submarine?

If I remember correctly, it is a DB value somewhere in the right ballpark for a submarine, but otherwise it is pretty much fantasy.

If I remember correctly, it is a DB value somewhere in the right ballpark for a submarine, but otherwise it is pretty much fantasy.

if found this http://www.armscontrol.ru/subs/snf/snf03221.htm

but i am not sure, if i put the noise level further down, about detection of this quiet sub!?

In pic A1.1. the patroll speed of 8 knots have a Releative Source Level (dB) below 10 dB...

ssr1e.gif

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

• 1 month later...

Hi !

We were having a blast in MP last night, thank you so much for all the work you put into this, it's mind blowing. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time you invested into this ... much, much appreciated !

Sadly, we were having issues with the radio menus. SP is perfectly fine, but in MP, the following problems occured:

- sometimes the F10 as a whole disappears right after take off (leaving the service zone)

- MAD and sonar can't be retrieved once deployed, for no apparent reason

- can't launch torpedo, for no apparent reason

Probably DCS trigger functions overwhelmed by the amount of awesomeness you throw at them :P

Just let me know if you wnat/need anything related to these issue !

Cheers ! :beer:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so we have used this setup two times...it is a great concept - but it is not really good for MP mission with more than 6 clients!

I think, we got problems with respawning sonobueys. This could give the server trouble.

At the begin it is fine, but after a while, all clients got a big delay in the F-10 Radio Menu Action!

You can push the menu point (like Display MAD) and the display while show up minutes after your command.

I am afraid, this make the ASW system not playable in "big" MP session at the moment.

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great script!

But how can I find a buoy on Mi-8? There is no 50Mhz radio compass. Only ARK-9 (about 1MHz) and ARK-UD (channels, but something about 140MHz).

Thanx again.

PS: I found that 190KHz + 10KHz for each buoy is good for Mi-8 and Uh-1

Edited by cooland

• 1 year later...
Sorry to resurrect that post, but MBot has check if your mission work on DCS: W 1.5?

Pretty sure it doesn't since 1.5 changed the way text output works. My "text displays" relied on text output being refreshed in fast succession, but with 1.5 new text is now added below old text.

• 2 weeks later...